• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

This is it. What do you think? I think I can improve the grade maybe by 1/2 grade if I have the slight spine roll removed and perhaps have it pressed.

image_zpseyei7ela.jpg

image_zpsi7gukyqq.jpg

image_zpszvi39bx4.jpg

image_zpshztpmjh8.jpg

Impartial observer here but I think consult with Joey before sending it for a press. My opinion is to have it slabbed as is.

I ended up taking the spine roll out. It turned out that it was only the back cover that had rolled (it was actually pinched toward the spine 3/16" at the top and 1/8" at the bottom). None of the interior wraps had rolled so it was a relatively easy procedure. I'm not even sure I'm going to have it pressed, I think it looks fairly nice like this.

P1100383_zpsmwxormzq.jpg

P1100384_zps72wz174l.jpg

I ended up taking the spine roll out. It turned out that it was only the back cover that had rolled (it was actually pinched toward the spine 3/16" at the top and 1/8" at the bottom). None of the interior wraps had rolled so it was a relatively easy procedure. I'm not even sure I'm going to have it pressed, I think it looks fairly nice like this.

P1100383_zpsmwxormzq.jpg

P1100384_zps72wz174l.jpg

Nice looking copy. Bright colors and no chipping. I would also vote for giving it a press.

P1100383_zpsmwxormzq.jpg

P1100384_zps72wz174l.jpg

Nice looking copy. Bright colors and no chipping. I would also vote for giving it a press.

Definitely should press before slabbing.

What would you grade it at?

Personally, I think it's a minimum of 4.0, but even with the stain I'd love to see a 4.5. With other boardies chiming in guessing at mostly 3.5-4.5 my hopes for a 5.0 have all but faded.

Personally, I think it's a minimum of 4.0, but even with the stain I'd love to see a 4.5. With other boardies chiming in guessing at mostly 3.5-4.5 my hopes for a 5.0 have all but faded.

Without an in depth look at the pictures I will default to the group, but at a glance see 4.5 or higher potential.

At a 4.0 with slabbing/shipping/air transit costs you are even money. 4.5 you are up a couple grand and 5.0 or higher you are swimming in it!

In any case congrats on the snag from the wild and cool story to back it up!

Without an in depth look at the pictures I will default to the group, but at a glance see 4.5 or higher potential.

At a 4.0 with slabbing/shipping/air transit costs you are even money. 4.5 you are up a couple grand and 5.0 or higher you are swimming in it!

In any case congrats on the snag from the wild and cool story to back it up!

Because he was my daughter's friend I couldn't really try to do anything but give him a good offer. I am glad he sold it to me, and I actually think I got a good value. It's a good looking comic. And it's a case where I didn't have to worry about resto, so that made it easier.

Nice looking copy!! Can you educate a novice and explain how you took the spine roll out :grin:

Trial & error on hundreds of low grade valueless comics. If you haven't put any time in, then don't even think about attempting it with a valuable comic... send it to a pro or you will be crying when you screw it up.

Nice looking copy!! Can you educate a novice and explain how you took the spine roll out :grin:

Trial & error on hundreds of low grade valueless comics. If you haven't put any time in, then don't even think about attempting it with a valuable comic... send it to a pro or you will be crying when you screw it up.

Beautiful copy - and jealous you have the skill to make such a noticeable upgrade with that spine roll magic! I think its at least a 4.0. I think I would press it but that's just personal opinion. Congrats, man!

Ok, very cool and great job. Taking the spine roll out makes the comic look so much better! Does it require you to remove the staples to do it properly? Also, does CGC downgrade a book if they detect the spine has been adjusted?