• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I would have never changed the holder from a CGC 7.5 to CBCS no matter if it even went up a full point!! I would never buy a book of this caliber that was graded by that company (Actually I would not buy any book graded by that company and especially not one of the top 10 SA books that is for sure....I would rather own a restored comic graded by CGC than a comic that is not restored in a CBCS holder)!!

Edited by Hulk1962

I would have never changed the holder from a CGC 7.5 to CBCS no matter if it even went up a full point!! I would never buy a book of this caliber that was graded by that company (Actually I would not buy any book graded by that company and especially not one of the top 10 SA books that is for sure....I would rather own a restored comic graded by CGC than a comic that is not restored in a CBCS holder)!!

because of the difference in final values achieved?

because of the difference in final values achieved?

I'm interested in the reason as well. I've had books graded by both companies. Seem to be pretty consistent with one another.

if they were consistent he'd have gotten back a 7.5 on his af15. the $ a .5 grade bump increases this book in VF for CGC proves the two don't translate. If I were CBCS, I mean, you can't catch them all, but this one had the date stamp on it. A quick look around at previously graded 7.5s might've caught it, if one of these guys found it...

if they were consistent he'd have gotten back a 7.5 on his af15. the $ a .5 grade bump increases this book in VF for CGC proves the two don't translate. If I were CBCS, I mean, you can't catch them all, but this one had the date stamp on it. A quick look around at previously graded 7.5s might've caught it, if one of these guys found it...

Who's to say this book wasn't cracked out, pressed fixed and increased just a small fraction of the book. Maybe CGC had it graded at 8.0/7.5/7.5 and finished on 7.5...after the work THEY had it at 8.0/8.0/7.5 and finished on 8.0? Whats the point of looking at other previously graded 7.5's...

Who's to say this book wasn't cracked out, pressed fixed and increased just a small fraction of the book. Maybe CGC had it graded at 8.0/7.5/7.5 and finished on 7.5...after the work THEY had it at 8.0/8.0/7.5 and finished on 8.0? Whats the point of looking at other previously graded 7.5's...

:applause:(thumbs u

do you think its an 8 or a 7.5 though?

Still looks like a 7.0 to 7.5 to me. Stress at the top, along the spine, rounded corners, and some soiling along the right edge and back cover.

No matter what was done to it and regardless of the company grading it, not enough improvement to warrant an 8.0 IMO. :blahblah:

I would rather own a restored comic graded by CGC than a comic that is not restored in a CBCS holder)!!

Can you name the founder of CGC and also name the founder of CBCS? hm

I always got the impression Borock didn't actually grade that much with CGC, at least he didn't enjoy it as much as the other aspects of the business. I have no idea how much he is grading with the new company, however, I don't think your comment means the two companies are on par, grading wise.

Former cgc 7.5 from last years comicconnect, now a 8.0

I like it better in the cgc slab

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650280

What did it sell for last year? It'll be interesting to see what it goes for in the V holder. If CBCS doesn't start getting higher prices realized for their grading then I would think they would be losing business left and right soon.

Correct. CPR often results in grade bumps.

But, even if we take CPR out of the equation, I didn't say their grading was identical, just pretty consistent. I think a single grade off is pretty close in any case. (Although, I would hazard a guess the book was CPR's before going to CBCS).

And the point of the date stamp is meaningless. Neither company (as far as I know) scours thru scans/photos/etc of previously graded books. How many books at CGC have been graded and re-graded with different results? And not just any random book, books that are easily recognizable/identifiable (pedigrees for example). Their stance has always been that they grade the book that is in front of them. Nothing more.

Former cgc 7.5 from last years comicconnect, now a 8.0

I like it better in the cgc slab

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650280

I'm not liking Metro's new photography system. There's enough glare on the top left of that potentially $50K book that I can't see what's going on.

I think a single grade off is pretty close in any case.

I agree. Perhaps the early Overstreet Price guides had it right when they had only three categories, something like Good, Fine, and Near Mint. No human being is capable of fine tuning to the level the grading companies are attempting without error. It wouldn't be so bad if buyers were not paying the huge difference in price between these 'grades'.

It is very simple I have no respect for the grading standards of CBCS....I have seen to many super high grades giving to some books that do not deserve that grade at all. And also most CBCS comics bring much lower prices (why would you want to put so much money in a book that is not going to hold it's value as much a CGC graded book....it simply makes no sens at all...unless you have money to waste).

Edited by Hulk1962

It is very simple I have no respect for the grading standards of CBCS....I have seen to many super high grades giving to some books that do not deserve that grade at all. And also most CBCS comics bring much lower prices (why would you want to put so much money in a book that is not going to hold it's value....makes no sens).

I only have a couple CBCS slabs and they seemed appropriately graded. However, assuming your statement is true and CBCS is loose, it would behoove them to tighten up. I may be wrong but it seems like CGC is grading all the Moderns and SS books. The real competition between CGC and CBCS is in the Vintage books. Whoever grades the tightest will prevail in that niche.

I agree. Perhaps the early Overstreet Price guides had it right when they had only three categories, something like Good, Fine, and Near Mint.

It was out of necessity as price points grew further apart. It became difficult to charge, say, $100K for a Mint copy but only $50K for a lesser copy if it was nicer than Fine.

No human being is capable of fine tuning to the level the grading companies are attempting without error. It wouldn't be so bad if buyers were not paying the huge difference in price between these 'grades'.

I'm not so sure anymore. As F_T once said, he regrades his own books and gets all the same grades. Generally, me too. So I'm not sure why the inconsistency.