• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Anybody remember the last time a 9.4 came up for auction ? Heritage gonna be interesting.

Is one going up for auction soon?

CGC 9.4 ow :o

http://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7124-99002.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Pretty heavy foxing on both edges for a 9.4...

I have seen 7.0's with better looking covers...

I rarely say this, but how does that book get a 9.4. It's not a GA book that they give certain passes for age, etc. Question- in high grade do they sometimes not detract for certain things such as this foxing?? I've seen other high grade keys that truly don't deserve the grade.

I Completely agree Rob.

Yes, someone will buy this bad boy for the grade, that's for sure, and shell out that half a milly or close. Nuts!!

This one will be interesting. GPA says low of 17 and high of 21 but all of those had off white to white pages.

The writing (''461'') on the bottom of the back cover is the only thing I do not like. The foxing is also a bit to much for a 9.4 but like you guys know someone out there will pay a hefty price for a AF15 in this grade. It is still one hell of a book and I look forward to following this auction closely!!

Edited by Hulk1962

That's not a 9.4. I guess it can sit next to that Avengers 1 in 9.6. That Avengers 1 took a hit with the pricing of a 9.4. I'm thinking the same with this book. Someone with that kind of $ is going to buy the book and not that little sticker.

I've seen 9.6s with some foxing; pre-1965. This book has 3 rounded corners. One of the corners has chipping. Foxing on the left and right edges and I am also assuming it's actually an ow/w with the darker foxed pages towards the edges and not a straight ow. I don't like the staple placement.

For about 350k I would find a nicer looking book and wait for one not just recently graded to show up on the market. I'm going to bet $250k on this one just because it's Heritage. If I would have seen a 9.0 sticker on it, I wouldn't have looked twice at grade accuracy. My X-Men 1 graded a few years ago (Sids Diner one) was a 9.0 and looked better in the slab. Did it get a 9.4 because CGC doesn't count chipping or foxing? How do they explain the rounded corners? Is it a 9.4 with crappy eye appeal for the grade?

Why is CGC recently pumping out uber high grade books that are obviously not the grade? What they are going to do is damage the market because people will only see that a book that once sold for X dollars dropped 100k. Only a handful of lunatics actually track books and micro analyze them like we do here and know why a book was pounded at market.

Edited by passion4comics

On the corners I agree. 9.4 grade allows for very minor blunting with no color breaks with no cover wear. I would hate to buy a 9.4 with only one sharp corner. Even at 9.0 I would want very minor foxing and that looks to be more than minor. Last the cover crease by the leg is not allowed in 9.4. You can have a small non color breaking crease on 9.2.

If you buy the book and not the label it should be a 9.0 or 9.2 tops. What is the market for that and will that price have gone up so much we won't know where the market is for a real 9.4.

You guys keep saying foxing but I think you mean tanning?

Structurally the book looks like a 9.4 - a 9.4 is not a perfect book. You can have some rounded corners and some slight wear. The tanning is hard to assess.

Structurally the book looks like a 9.4 - a 9.4 is not a perfect book. You can have some rounded corners and some slight wear. The tanning is hard to assess.

Maybe I have the terms mixed up.

I was under the impression that foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps and certificates.

Is that different than tanning?

I was under the impression that foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps and certificates.

I have always associated foxing with spotting caused by some microorganisms having grown on the paper. I have thought of tanning as the natural deterioration of newsprint over time, particularly when exposed to light.

If that's accurate, then this book exhibits tanning, but not foxing.

I have always associated foxing with spotting caused by some microorganisms having grown on the paper. I have thought of tanning as the natural deterioration of newsprint over time, particularly when exposed to light.

:shrug:

When I search online there aren't many definitions available, mostly just use of the term on chat boards (either here or somewhere else).

Either way, the book has a whole lot of "brown" for the grade - but as I research it appears that it is not completely uncommon in high grade CGC books.

Still wouldn't pay this much for a book with a cover that looks like that...

When I search online there aren't many definitions available, mostly just use of the term on chat boards (either here or somewhere else).

Either way, the book has a whole lot of "brown" for the grade - but as I research it appears that it is not completely uncommon in high grade CGC books.

Still wouldn't pay this much for a book with a cover that looks like that...

Me either!

Foreign money will (help) drive the price of this book into the stratosphere.

First 9.4 offered in years ? Second highest graded first Spider-Man ? Spider-Man appearing in the first Marvel movie ever next year? Marvel produced Spider-Man movies for years to come ?

It's a no-brainer, gents.

-J.

First 9.4 offered in years ? Second highest graded first Spider-Man ? Spider-Man appearing in the first Marvel movie ever next year? Marvel produced Spider-Man movies for years to come ?

-J.

Maybe, but it still looks like spoon for a 9.4.

On the corners I agree. 9.4 grade allows for very minor blunting with no color breaks with no cover wear. I would hate to buy a 9.4 with only one sharp corner. Even at 9.0 I would want very minor foxing and that looks to be more than minor. Last the cover crease by the leg is not allowed in 9.4. You can have a small non color breaking crease on 9.2.

If you buy the book and not the label it should be a 9.0 or 9.2 tops. What is the market for that and will that price have gone up so much we won't know where the market is for a real 9.4.

No chance this is 9.0. It's so much better than that.

-J.

Your points are exactly why it will be hard to figure out what happens in this auction. I would think the money will seem like 9.4 money but what could it have achieved if it had a 9.4 cover.

Not directed to you specifically but if this was a "sparkly" 9.4 would this thread turn into when will we see this in a 9.6 holder?

Imagine if it were in the "Other" companies 9.6 well.

All hell would break loose.

Edited by blazingbob

True, we are like that but it is nice to speculate. I had some additional thoughts because I have been thinking like a person that buys 10K books and not 500K books. I would think this would be a top five copy. Confirm or discuss.

If that is so, we know the top two are probably locked up for awhile. So that makes this the number one copy available in a pool where there is a ton of money available. It would make a wonderful place holder (using that placeholder loosely) until one of the big two go up or another one appears.

If I was one of those guys, the nitpicking we have do would be of no concern to me.