• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

They cant even get the current .2s correct.

Hence the hideous 9.4 with tanning thats about to hit auction.

+1 on both points. I really hope the tanning is more the result of the scanner settings than how the book looks in hand. This may be a case where the technical grade is 9.4 but the eye appeal is an 8.0. I cringe when I see that browning edge.

Looks pretty sweet to me. Is this a new copy or an upgrade? It's the first new 9.4 in years!

It's nice to see a positive comment about this book.

I know comments on the internet skew towards the negative and people are free to share their opinions and all that. But I'm always a little aghast at some of the posts about some big books in auctions over the years. And I know I've probably been guilty of it myself at one time or another.

Are the comments fair game? Sure. Reasonable? Often. Do they make a difference to the final prices realized? I don't know. Maybe sometimes.

But I usually think, "Hey, this is somebody's book and he or she is trying to sell it for as much as possible." And if I'm not a fan of the book or grade, what's the point of me posting that in a public forum? I just won't bid on it.

Again, I know people are free to share their opinions and the point of this board is to discuss funny books, good and bad. Though it seems to me, there's usually gleeful rush to post dismissive comments about the books. I guess I just wish for a little more restraint.

Speaking as one who just made a negative comment on this book, I did consider the courtesy aspects of my comment but decided it was okay to post. This is a very public auction, for a very big book. Comments should be expected. I do not like the eye appeal of this book. I do not expect my comment to make the least bit of difference in the final hammer. If we are no longer allowed to make comments on the grade of a book, this site should be shut down. Sorry.

Looks pretty sweet to me. Is this a new copy or an upgrade? It's the first new 9.4 in years!

I know comments on the internet skew towards the negative and people are free to share their opinions and all that. But I'm always a little aghast at some of the posts about some big books in auctions over the years. And I know I've probably been guilty of it myself at one time or another.

Are the comments fair game? Sure. Reasonable? Often. Do they make a difference to the final prices realized? I don't know. Maybe sometimes.

But I usually think, "Hey, this is somebody's book and he or she is trying to sell it for as much as possible." And if I'm not a fan of the book or grade, what's the point of me posting that in a public forum? I just won't bid on it.

Again, I know people are free to share their opinions and the point of this board is to discuss funny books, good and bad. Though it seems to me, there's usually gleeful rush to post dismissive comments about the books. I guess I just wish for a little more restraint.

I see your point--and I'm less critical of this book than most people seem to be. Looks like a 9.4 isn't out of line, although the tanning on the edge would bother me, particularly at the price-level likely to be involved here.

But I think many times people are looking at books from the buyer's point of view, rather than from the seller's. So, I interpret some of the comments as intended to point out potential issues that would-be buyers might want to think about.

Speaking as one who just made a negative comment on this book, I did consider the courtesy aspects of my comment but decided it was okay to post. This is a very public auction, for a very big book. Comments should be expected. I do not like the eye appeal of this book. I do not expect my comment to make the least bit of difference in the final hammer. If we are no longer allowed to make comments on the grade of a book, this site should be shut down. Sorry.

.... and ........

People who can drop 500K on a comic book generally do not rely on others to do their thinking for them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I would drop in and view the book in hand if I were a serious contender.

I know comments on the internet skew towards the negative and people are free to share their opinions and all that. But I'm always a little aghast at some of the posts about some big books in auctions over the years. And I know I've probably been guilty of it myself at on ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5745476#Post5745476 e time or another.

GT its a nice book, one of the nicest in existence. It's suffering from a defect that CGCs notoriously harsh on, edge tanning. I don't think anyone of us would question a 9.0/2.. but a 9.4.....

I know comments on the internet skew towards the negative and people are free to share their opinions and all that. But I'm always a little aghast at some of the posts about some big books in auctions over the years. And I know I've probably been guilty of it myself at on ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5745476#Post5745476 e time or another.

GT its a nice book, one of the nicest in existence. It's suffering from a defect that CGCs notoriously harsh on, edge tanning. I don't think anyone of us would question a 9.0/2.. but a 9.4.....

...this is why I would be inclined to wonder if there is perhaps too much contrast in the imaging. GOD BLESS...

I've been the biggest cheerleader of the book since I saw it.

It's going to do gangbusters regardless of anything any of us say good, bad or indifferent. :banana:

If I could even remotely afford to wade in that pool my one and only bid would be for $501,501 and then I'd sit back and enjoy the ride.

-J.

...this is why I would be inclined to wonder if there is perhaps too much contrast in the imaging. GOD BLESS...

In which case, HA will read our comments and adjust the settings = something positive will come from our critical comments. I do agree with Jimjum, any serious bidder for this book needs to see it in hand first.

.... and ........

People who can drop 500K on a comic book generally do not rely on others to do their thinking for them. GOD BLESS....

..... I would drop in and view the book in hand if I were a serious contender.

Jimbo, you are always and everywhere a serious contender! :sumo:

Which frankly is why I miss the old days of bidding (Sotheby's) on auction items in person after reviewing it myself.

My scans have been judged as not doing books service, the book is nicer in hand.

I tweek them, something else goes out of contrast.

If the image is "lightened" where the tanning isn't as prevalent is it a 9.4? Does the seller then take it on the chin for misrepresenting the book?

Does the book really exhibit a "halo" as is being discussed?

I'm with you. I've piped up to point out that people were being disrespectful and have taken heat for it.

I always try (try being the operative word) to treat a public offering as if it would be my own when criticizing it.

I don't understand your point. The purpose of this forum is to discuss comics, specifically it was created by CGC as a means to advertise their services in the context of collectors. For sure that includes criticism and accolades as long as they are all within the stated forum rules. Many of the posts are questions about the grade itself - which is especially on topic for this site...

This seems more like "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..." Which if you are referring to how some board members treat each other from time to time (of course I fall into this), I can see the validity of the statement. However, I don't understand frustration around commentary on a public auction. I would say that such commentary is exactly what this place is supposed to be used for - as opposed to anything in the Watercooler, the constant barrage of posts for schooling grammar/debate effectiveness or any of the many other things discussed that have absolutely nothing to do with comics.

Now, if these were comments directly on the HA website on the page with the book, your point would make complete sense. However, like here, negative comments on items for sale on their site are not welcome (nor are they even possible).

:shrug:

I don't understand your point. The purpose of this forum is to discuss comics, specifically it was created by CGC as a means to advertise their services in the context of collectors. For sure that includes criticism and accolades as long as they are all within the stated forum rules. Many of the posts are questions about the grade itself - which is especially on topic for this site...

This seems more like "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..." Which if you are referring to how some board members treat each other from time to time (of course I fall into this), I can see the validity of the statement. However, I don't understand frustration around commentary on a public auction. I would say that such commentary is exactly what this place is supposed to be used for - as opposed to anything in the Watercooler, the constant barrage of posts for schooling grammar/debate effectiveness or any of the many other things discussed that have absolutely nothing to do with comics.

Now, if these were comments directly on the HA website on the page with the book, your point would make complete sense. However, like here, negative comments on items for sale on their site are not welcome (nor are they even possible).

I made my point with what I wrote. But I’ll put it into different words for you.

It’s a bummer that when a new high grade copy of one of the three most important comics of all time surfaces, that what followed here were mostly negative comments about the book.

Three different times in my post I wrote that people are free to post whatever they want about a book, criticisms and all. I just find it disappointing that so many took the opportunity to disparage the grade and the book.

Personally, I don’t feel good about publicly slamming somebody’s book or its grade. You and plenty of others obviously don’t feel the same. And that’s fair enough. Please carry on.

I made my point with what I wrote. But I’ll put it into different words for you.

It’s a bummer that when a new high grade copy of one of the three most important comics of all time surfaces, that what followed here were mostly negative comments about the book.

Three different times in my post I wrote that people are free to post whatever they want about a book, criticisms and all. I just find it disappointing that so many took the opportunity to disparage the grade and the book.

Personally, I don’t feel good about publicly slamming somebody’s book or its grade. You and plenty of others obviously don’t feel the same. And that’s fair enough. Please carry on.

Why does it have to be a "bummer" or "disappointing?"

What if it is over-graded? Shouldn't that matter?

Just like if it was upgradeable, shouldn't that matter?

What doesn't make sense to me is your personal aversion to people sharing their opinions publicly about a comic on a forum designed to openly discuss comics.

I don't have an issue with the fact that you want people to be nicer, but I find it interesting that you feel the need to criticize others for sharing their own criticisms.

Instead of discussing the comic, you are posting about your feelings towards other's posts. While I am certainly guilty of this behavior in other discussion, in this example there really doesn't seem to be any malice from what I can tell.

What if I told you that I find your criticisms of others to be a "bummer" or "disappointing?" Should that matter?

Edited by rfoiii

It's easy for people to slam it only because most can't afford it so it makes them feel better criticizing it.

I'm really picky about clean grays on an AF15. The tanning on the right edge front and left edge back cover concern me.

Here's my earlier post (one of the first). I'm not slamming the book in any way. Just making observations. I will add to my post and say it is one heckuva book and deserves the golf clap.! :golfclap:

What if I told you that I find your criticisms of others to be a "bummer" or "disappointing?" Should that matter?

Maybe. But I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure your comments about me won't have any effect on the hammer price if I'm ever auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Maybe. But I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure your comments about me won't have any effect on the hammer price if I'm ever auctioned off to the highest bidder.

For the record, I don't feel that way. In reality I don't really know you, I was just attempting to make a point.

Not sure if this is an insult, but my comments were not intended to be. I apologize if they came off that way.

Either way I doubt much of anything posted here will impact the hammer price on this particular book. We love to think we have far more influence on the world here than we really do.

:foryou:

I think I conveyed the same thing. The book has problems and it might be over graded but whoever gets it will have a top 10 silver aged book and will have serious bragging rights.

I think as a group we tend to be a little negative but we like to speculate and digress about these subjects that in the stream of things make little difference. After all, they are just comics. :baiting:

Ghostown- You have one of the best collections on the planet and deserve respect for what you have accomplished. Thanks for the comments and I hope I have clarified my position.