• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

What if I told you that I find your criticisms of others to be a "bummer" or "disappointing?" Should that matter?

Maybe. But I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure your comments about me won't have any effect on the hammer price if I'm ever auctioned off to the highest bidder.

For the record, I don't feel that way. In reality I don't really know you, I was just attempting to make a point.

Not sure if this is an insult, but my comments were not intended to be. I apologize if they came off that way.

Either way I doubt much of anything posted here will impact the hammer price on this particular book. We love to think we have far more influence on the world here than we really do.

:foryou:

No worries and thanks for the flowers. I definitely understand the value of discussing these things here. I just like to remember that these books belong to somebody.

I'm really picky about clean grays on an AF15. The tanning on the right edge front and left edge back cover concern me.

Here's my earlier post (one of the first). I'm not slamming the book in any way. Just making observations. I will add to my post and say it is one heckuva book and deserves the golf clap.! :golfclap:

I think where Barton is coming from and where I do come from is when :D people make statements like 'OMG, what an overgraded POS - that book should only grade a ___!'

If you're friend owned the book they probably wouldn't say that but instead would either pump the book or just remain silent.

But the internet seems to enable people to disconnect from remembering that any given book is owned by an actual person out there and that their auction prices could suffer from someone's hyperbolic posts.

There's a big difference between saying something like "I'm not a fan of tanning" and "OMG what a POS!"

Yes, I am exaggerating a bit to make my point.

I'm really picky about clean grays on an AF15. The tanning on the right edge front and left edge back cover concern me.

Here's my earlier post (one of the first). I'm not slamming the book in any way. Just making observations. I will add to my post and say it is one heckuva book and deserves the golf clap.! :golfclap:

I think where Barton is coming from and where I do come from is when :D people make statements like 'OMG, what an overgraded POS - that book should only grade a ___!'

If you're friend owned the book they probably wouldn't say that but instead would either pump the book or just remain silent.

But the internet seems to enable people to disconnect from remembering that any given book is owned by an actual person out there and that their auction prices could suffer from someone's hyperbolic posts.

There's a big difference between saying something like "I'm not a fan of tanning" and "OMG what a POS!"

True enough, but the potential buyer is also an actual person. Noting problems with a book that the buyer might overlook helps that person, while potentially hurting the seller. Unfortunately, it's a zero-sum game.

True enough, but the potential buyer is also an actual person. Noting problems with a book that the buyer might overlook helps that person, while potentially hurting the seller. Unfortunately, it's a zero-sum game.

Again, I think there is a difference between saying 'I don't like tanning on my 9.4 books' and 'that book looks like a 9.0' - which in my opinion it doesn't.

Again, I think there is a difference between saying 'I don't like tanning on my 9.4 books' and 'that book looks like a 9.0' - which in my opinion it doesn't.

On this particular book, I think you are right. I have no problem with this book as a 9.4, although the tanning would bother me. I suppose if I were a serious bidder at this level, it would be worth going to Dallas to have a look.

I meant the more general point, that noting flaws in a book being auctioned can be helpful to a potential buyer, even if it's not helpful to the seller.

I think I conveyed the same thing. The book has problems and it might be over graded but whoever gets it will have a top 10 silver aged book and will have serious bragging rights.

I think as a group we tend to be a little negative but we like to speculate and digress about these subjects that in the stream of things make little difference. After all, they are just comics. :baiting:

Ghostown- You have one of the best collections on the planet and deserve respect for what you have accomplished. Thanks for the comments and I hope I have clarified my position.

Thanks for the note and the clarification. It's a great book in any event. And I hope the auction results reflect that. I suspect that'll be the case.

I think it is probably one of the top 10 known af15s out there right now...and anyone that is considering a run at the book will do their due diligence, and bid accordingly (I know I will) etc...

some random or even specific comments on a chat board are highly unlikely to affect any hammer price (unless made by a potential bidder), and I am sure there are a myriad of reasons why the book is not being lavished with praise and adornment by all.... that is, unfortunately, both the nature of these type of discussions, and human nature in general

This is only a zero sum game if both buyer and seller recieve the same marginal utility per dollar on the sale price of the book. That is unlikely. It is quite likely that both buyer and seller will end up with economic surplus, meaning the seller will get more than their minimum willingness to sell price and the buyer will procure the book for less than their max willingness to pay. Both parties will be made better off. And I agree with comments posted here that comments made on this site are very unlikely to affect the price.

Beautiful book IMO. I'm glad I got the chance to stare at the scan, tanning and all.

This is only a zero sum game if both buyer and seller recieve the same marginal utility per dollar on the sale price of the book. That is unlikely. It is quite likely that both buyer and seller will end up with economic surplus, meaning the seller will get more than their minimum willingness to sell price and the buyer will procure the book for less than their max willingness to pay. Both parties will be made better off. And I agree with comments posted here that comments made on this site are very unlikely to affect the price.

Beautiful book IMO. I'm glad I got the chance to stare at the scan, tanning and all.

If you assume that the comments on here do affect the price, then it's a zero-sum game in the sense that if the comments reduce the hammer price by, say, 10%, that is a pure loss to the seller and a pure gain to the buyer.

You are, of course, correct that buying and selling in general is not a zero-sum game because both the buyer and seller must gain from a transaction or they wouldn't engage in it.

I think this conversation is ridiculous. This is a specific thread dedicated to AF15 discussion and we are discussing whether it's okay or not to say something negative about a book. Perhaps the Mods should shut this whole thread down and start a new AF15 kudos only thread.

I think this conversation is ridiculous. This is a specific thread dedicated to AF15 discussion and we are discussing whether it's okay or not to say something negative about a book. Perhaps the Mods should shut this whole thread down and start a new AF15 kudos only thread.

Makes sense.

I think it would definitely be fair for them to scrub all the posts since the link to the sale was posted. Or they could even move them to the other thread about this book in the Silver forum if people want to continue the conversation.

(thumbs u

I'm looking forward to this auction. Given what Metro is willing to shell out for a copy its pretty safe to say that this is a $500k+ book.

+1

My thoughts precisely.

-J

people will pay for the numeric grade but if you look a clinks 9.0 @ 200k. No major defects and no color loss on the top edge. Idk

Makes sense.

I think it would definitely be fair for them to scrub all the posts since the link to the sale was posted. Or they could even move them to the other thread about this book in the Silver forum if people want to continue the conversation.

(thumbs u

???

Why? (shrug)

Makes sense.

(thumbs u

???

Why? (shrug)

Because I have been yelled at in other instances where we have gone off track in the ongoing "club" thread versus a new one for discussion. The purpose of this thread is supposedly for people to post their membership as owners of Amazing Fantasy 15.

Or so I am told.

:shrug:

Edited by rfoiii

Makes sense.

(thumbs u

???

Why? (shrug)

Because I have been yelled at in other instances where we have gone off track in the ongoing "club" thread versus a new one for discussion. The purpose of this thread is supposedly for people to post their membership as owners of Amazing Fantasy 15.

Or so I am told.

:shrug:

Ah, I see.

Probably should have its own thread then. It is worthy of discussion.

I'm looking forward to this auction. Given what Metro is willing to shell out for a copy its pretty safe to say that this is a $500k+ book.

+1

My thoughts precisely.

-J

And knowing this, I will bid accordingly and be calling Metro the next day if I snag it.