• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

True, we are like that but it is nice to speculate. I had some additional thoughts because I have been thinking like a person that buys 10K books and not 500K books. I would think this would be a top five copy. Confirm or discuss.

If that is so, we know the top two are probably locked up for awhile. So that makes this the number one copy available in a pool where there is a ton of money available. It would make a wonderful place holder (using that placeholder loosely) until one of the big two go up or another one appears.

If I was one of those guys, the nitpicking we have do would be of no concern to me.

I think your revised logic is fine, but my only criticism would be that it depends on the level of comic knowledge a "buyer" has. The more informed they are, the less likely they are to buy the grade and not the book.

However, if you have that much money - does it really even matter...

hm

No human being is capable of fine tuning to the level the grading companies are attempting without error. It wouldn't be so bad if buyers were not paying the huge difference in price between these 'grades'.

I'm not so sure anymore. As F_T once said, he regrades his own books and gets all the same grades. Generally, me too. So I'm not sure why the inconsistency.

I will concur that the SAME person can be consistent, however, we are dealing with different graders. Though, in theory, these graders are using a 'standard' set of parameters, I think the standards are still open to the interpretation of the individual graders. Not radically, but just enough to cause +1/-1 situation. Maybe CGC should lock in their graders to long term contracts for consistency, like they do in sports.

And even the same grader will see things differently on a different day.

I look at books all day long that could easily go either way. What may seem like a big deal on one day (a lightly CB spine tic...is it a solid 9.6, or a soft 9.8?) might not be on another day, with fresh eyes, and vice versa.

The problem is that CGC and others have steadfastly refused to expand the grading system, even though the market is quite clearly demanding it, and even though CGC's sister company, NGC, has done that very thing.

It's time to grade books 9.7, 9.5, etc.

True, we are like that but it is nice to speculate. I had some additional thoughts because I have been thinking like a person that buys 10K books and not 500K books. I would think this would be a top five copy. Confirm or discuss.

If that is so, we know the top two are probably locked up for awhile. So that makes this the number one copy available in a pool where there is a ton of money available. It would make a wonderful place holder (using that term loosely) until one of the big two come up or another one appears.

If I was one of those guys, the nitpicking we have do would be of no concern to me.

I think your revised logic is fine, but my only criticism would be that it depends on the level of comic knowledge a "buyer" has. The more informed they are, the less likely they are to buy the grade and not the book.

However, if you have that much money - does it really even matter...

hm

That's the point of my revised logic. The players that play in this pond would want that book even if it is over graded. It is still a heck of a book. That said in any auction, if two are ready to tango, the action begins.

The sale of this book will shatter records and make headlines.

Anyone in the market for an AF 15 or on the fence or "waiting" to buy one is best advised to get one sooner rather than later now as the sale of this top copy will likely have the same trickle down effect on lower grade copies similar to what happened with hulk 1 a year and a half ago.

-J.

The sale of this book will shatter records and make headlines.

Anyone in the market for an AF 15 or on the fence or "waiting" to buy one is best advised to get one sooner rather than later now as the sale of this top copy will likely have the same trickle down effect on lower grade copies similar to what happened with hulk 1 a year and a half ago.

-J.

I sure hope so! :wishluck:

Nobody could have guessed when Amazing Fantasy #15 hit the newsstands over 50 years ago that Spider-Man would become a global icon -- yet here we are, in a Spidey-tastic world! Demand for this historic first appearance is high. It is by far the most in-demand vintage comic of the Silver Age, perhaps of all time, and copies continue to command sky-high prices

"Metropolis Collectibles searches high and low for want list clients," said Metro COO Vincent Zurzolo. "We have an A-list buyer avidly seeking the best copy possible, but we have not been able to procure a copy through our usual network of sellers. We're appealing to our massive customer base for help!"

Our buy prices for a copy with off white/white pages or better are below. These are net to you, the seller. There are no hidden fees. No seller's premiums. The price you see is what we'll pay! Respond to this email with front and back cover scans of your copy, or email them to brandonp@metropopliscomics.com pronto!

Here's what we'll offer you RIGHT NOW for your AF15!!

9.4- $450k

9.2- $325k

9.0- $200k

8.5- $130k

8.0- $65k

7.5- $55k

ama12.351a.jpg

If cc is willing to pay that much for 9.4, it would seem the seller would have a better chance of getting a bigger net rather than go to heritage and take the hit on the buyer premium

Edited by SpiderTurtle

I think so.

No, it's not time to grade books like that, He's only saying that because he can't make up his mind weather or not it's a 9.4 or a 9.6. The system we have in place now isn't broken, some just misunderstand it.

I think so.

No, it's not time to grade books like that, He's only saying that because he can't make up his mind weather or not it's a 9.4 or a 9.6. The system we have in place now isn't broken, some just misunderstand it.

He's saying that because that's what happened in coins. The price difference between 9.4 and 9.6 becomes so great, that it becomes a necessity to have another grade in between.

If you have price spreads that are 6 figures large between grades, it becomes necessary to develop new grades.

It's no different than when Overstreet went from Good-Fine-Mint and eventually evolved to where we are now. It's a product of growth in the hobby.

You guys keep saying foxing but I think you mean tanning?

Structurally the book looks like a 9.4 - a 9.4 is not a perfect book. You can have some rounded corners and some slight wear. The tanning is hard to assess.

Right. I don't see foxing either, Roy.