• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,527 posts in this topic

I'm trying to help @Get Marwood & I on his project to document the original sources of stories reprinted, often with quite a bit of editing, by British republisher Streamline. The good news is that I've got a likely candidate for the unidentified title story in They Called Me a Flirt (which very clearly didn't have that name originally). The bad news is that I think it may be from My Confession #7, which is an awesome book with a striking yellow cover and GGA art ... but which also very much belongs in this "rarest romance covers" thread. And of course, none of the GA comic scan archives have been able to digitize one.

Anyone happen to just have an unslabbed copy of this sitting around, able to check to see if the third story ("They Called Me Worthless") may have been edited into Streamline's "They Called Me a Flirt"? 

On 5/4/2022 at 5:38 PM, Qalyar said:

I'm trying to help @Get Marwood & I on his project to document the original sources of stories reprinted, often with quite a bit of editing, by British republisher Streamline. The good news is that I've got a likely candidate for the unidentified title story in They Called Me a Flirt (which very clearly didn't have that name originally). The bad news is that I think it may be from My Confession #7, which is an awesome book with a striking yellow cover and GGA art ... but which also very much belongs in this "rarest romance covers" thread. And of course, none of the GA comic scan archives have been able to digitize one.

Anyone happen to just have an unslabbed copy of this sitting around, able to check to see if the third story ("They Called Me Worthless") may have been edited into Streamline's "They Called Me a Flirt"? 

Thanks Qalyar :headbang:

Here's the reproduced story. I should have taken a clearer photo, but you can just about see where the word 'flirt' has been handwritten in the story text in place of whatever the original word was:

1204193884_TheyCalledMeAFlirts1.thumb.jpg.6bb5a88b2c158c9b9e633491a22c3e69.jpg

15899825_TheyCalledMeAFlirt.thumb.jpg.50cf54ed8e503d2454c79d646196adbf.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, OtherEric said:

Some of the Fox romance books are crazy rare.  When I scanned a coverless copy of My Love Memoirs #12 from a Fox Giant, it took us years to locate a picture of the front cover at all... and that issue has early Wally Wood art!

Yeah, this one's also an early Wood book (for at least the first of the three stories). I think there are a dozen-ish copies on the census. The Crippen copy is a 9.0 because of course it is. MyComicShop actually had a 3.0 slabbed copy earlier this year. So they do exist, but of course, one of the slabbed books won't help to ID interior content. I figured if there was anywhere where someone might just have one of these sitting around idly, it would be this thread.

For the record, here's the Crippen copy, from Heritage back in 2007 (EDIT: And I cannot believe that went for only $650! It, um, wouldn't do that now, I don't think!). Obviously, this isn't my book. But the thread needed a picture anyway, because the GGA cover -- very clearly modeled after Marlena Dietrich -- is up there with the best of the them.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, My Confession #7 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Fox Features Syndicate, 1949) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Edited by Qalyar

On 5/4/2022 at 12:38 PM, Qalyar said:

I do but I have to dig it out...

On 5/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, sagii said:

Used to chase the Fox romance books. Not now though. Like mose collectors focus changes. 

They arre tough though. 

Best to chase anything you like and be happy what you find :banana:

On 5/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, comicjack said:

Best to chase anything you like and be happy what you find :banana:

On 5/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, sagii said:

Used to chase the Fox romance books. Not now though. Like mose collectors focus changes. 

They arre tough though. 

Can't believe all those errors, lol.

I need glasses when posting from the phone (:

8 years ago.  You used a penny in your listing to give a sense of scale to the piece out on the fc edge.  I remember being impressed with the lengths you went to inform us about the book.

Also, you called it a VG/F - so you nailed it 4 years in advance of the slabbing.  Nice grading skills sir!

On 5/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This should be interesting to watch...

That and the other 90 (so far!) slabbed romance books spread into two weeklies back to back.  

A fair test of what the market can absorb, some rare, some peds, mostly solid mid grade, with a bunch of voldy DC slabs as well.  This as a followup to the big Atlas group a couple of months ago.

Our friend Rick, no stranger himself to romance books, bringing a very tasty consignment to the market.  Well done @Ricksneatstuff!