• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,494 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, mustang33guy said:

I’ve been after this one for a few years with no luck. The comic gods smiled upon me and now the search is over!

Colletta or Baker? the loaded debate topic haha

Either way Im just happy to have it, First Kiss #7!

Nice book! I have to believe that is Coletta, or more appropriately, it looks less like Baker to me than Coletta. His left arm doesn't look like anything Baker would draw...

On 12/16/2021 at 11:18 PM, mustang33guy said:

I’ve been after this one for a few years with no luck. The comic gods smiled upon me and now the search is over!

Colletta or Baker? the loaded debate topic haha

Either way Im just happy to have it, First Kiss #7!

9BC56B83-E393-4A22-9833-2664DCCA53D1.jpeg

Nice grab! Art of Glamour says Baker pencils / Colletta inks, but i know most here don't agree. Still a nice cover (and interiors i'm sure). 

On 12/12/2021 at 8:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

This one's not on the GCD, so it must be fairly rare.

In fact, I can't find it online anywhere...

https://www.comics.org/series/66331/covers/

No issue number or date. It has a nice two-tone interior and reprints 'My Crazy Dreams', 'My Security' and 'For Mother's Sake'.

It's in surprisingly good shape, and somehow doesn't look like an 'old' comic.

Anyone recognise the source for the cover?

I picked up a Streamline a little while back and found no data for it either.  Another NN without a date.  Perhaps we have the same cover artist here?

Yours looks like a back cover by Wally Wood.  Early, if it is indeed Wood.

True Love NN Streamline (reducio).jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, sagii said:

Nice grab! Art of Glamour says Baker pencils / Colletta inks, but i know most here don't agree. Still a nice cover (and interiors i'm sure). 

Our version of Groundhog Comic, eh Corey?  :devil:

Very very late in the day for a defined Baker pencil.  Besides the male/female figures, Colletta's apparel choices are very distinctive, as are the stylistic background elements like the cumulus clouds.  And btw I LOVE this cover - I think it's a very relaxed, romantic image of a couple in repose, the characters larger than normally drawn - really the whole cover.  No dialogue balloons, no story titles, nothing but the two of them.  Classic, and classically late 50's teen.

GCD says Giordano?  pencils, like a question, with Colletta inks, as per Nick Caputo.  Who sometimes I agree with, and sometimes not.  Mayyybe I can see that.

As far as the interior - it stinks, not one good panel in the whole book.  I won't even say imho, it's just a stone cold fact.  Par for the course for 1959 and even earlier Charlton.  Colletta's best interior work, and the best work by any romance artist imho, was in mid '53 to late '54.  He was very very busy after that point and phoned it in for interiors, saving his best work for the covers only.

Edited by Dr. Love

@Dr. Love Yes, the checkered and or stripped clothing, clouds and roses on many covers are certainly Colletta hallmarks, on a select few i think he flourished to make his own (on a ghosted work). The white whale 'My Secret Life #28' is another prime example to me, even with Colletta being the only signature on the cover. The man sitting with the lady? The profile of the big eyed woman in the forefront? C'mon guys :wavingwhiteflag:lol

One more document i'd like submitted in for evidence good doctor, First Kiss #6 is also listed in AOG as Baker Pencils / Colletta inks. I've included a sample page from AOG of Bakers original art for Romance Stories of True Love #51. A piece 'accepted' as Baker work, tell me the line work on the man sitting on the bed does not match the line work of the man on the cover of FK6 (or My Secret Marriage 28)? 

Render your verdict Andy :cheers:

First Kiss #6.jpg

20211217_090814.jpg

I feel the figure proportions on those First Kisses are the tell.  And as the Dr. said, "very relaxed, romantic image of a couple in repose, the characters larger than normally drawn..."; that's another MB MO.

Both of those covers are lovely!

On 12/17/2021 at 1:06 AM, Dr. Love said:

Our version of Groundhog Comic, eh Corey?  :devil:

Very very late in the day for a defined Baker pencil.  Besides the male/female figures, Colletta's apparel choices are very distinctive, as are the stylistic background elements like the cumulus clouds.  And btw I LOVE this cover - I think it's a very relaxed, romantic image of a couple in repose, the characters larger than normally drawn - really the whole cover.  No dialogue balloons, no story titles, nothing but the two of them.  Classic, and classically late 50's teen.

GCD says Giordano?  pencils, like a question, with Colletta inks, as per Nick Caputo.  Who sometimes I agree with, and sometimes not.  Mayyybe I can see that.

As far as the interior - it stinks, not one good panel in the whole book.  I won't even say imho, it's just a stone cold fact.  Par for the course for 1959 and even earlier Charlton.  Colletta's best interior work, and the best work by any romance artist imho, was in mid '53 to late '54.  He was very very busy after that point and phoned it in for interiors, saving his best work for the covers only.

I see a ton of Colletta and not a lick of Baker. 

On 12/17/2021 at 12:51 PM, buttock said:

I see a ton of Colletta and not a lick of Baker. 

Maybe in the guy's face, as he has the diagonal cheek line from mouth to ear Baker used a lot, but not Colletta. 

On 1/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dr. Love said:

well the dust has settled on some interesting Canadian reprints of Fox books on Ebay.  Incredible prices, very strong.

Some boardies got shut out, but not all.

Yeah, the minute I saw that My Desire 34, I knew I was toast. Awsome book and copy. Somebody got a killer rare book! 

Same.  That book is the only one I went hard for, it's real real tough to get, Fox or Canadian whatever.  I fell far short of the hammer though.

Seller had lots of good pics on his listings though, I'll give him that.  We could use some of that here on the boards.  These days you're lucky if you get a back cover shot.  Chaps my azz I must admit.    :preach:

On 1/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Rip said:

Really like this cover Lover's 57 and the tape was so needlessly put on. I'm thinking about having the tape removed.

lovers57.jpg

yeh, Hartley did some killer work in 1954.  I love this book too.

One of our boardies beat me out on the 8.0 graded copy of this book back in the day, 2013 to be exact.  That one hurt, $100 it went for, what was I thinking?  Although 9 years ago that was at the top end for a VF Atlas romance.  

1953-1954 Atlas romance, Pike, Hartley, and Colletta, the most incredible run.

Edited by Dr. Love