• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,513 posts in this topic

Wouldn't call this one romance exactly, a funky hybrid of music, comics and pulp romance sort of illo spreads.  I was surprised to see just one issue in the census of this third issue (not sure that means it's scarce)

20231210_130641.jpg.2f2ff55c4e1fc355376dcd4d7e15702c.jpg

Guy Madison on the cover

Ogden Whitney in a splash spread that wouldn't be out of place in a romance pulp (but in lovely color)

Image0014and0015join.thumb.jpg.c8d1a829f70edb204a04ee671c2bc169.jpg

On 12/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, Darwination said:

Wouldn't call this one romance exactly, a funky hybrid of music, comics and pulp romance sort of illo spreads.  I was surprised to see just one issue in the census of this third issue (not sure that means it's scarce)

20231210_130641.jpg.2f2ff55c4e1fc355376dcd4d7e15702c.jpg

Guy Madison on the cover

Ogden Whitney in a splash spread that wouldn't be out of place in a romance pulp (but in lovely color)

Image0014and0015join.thumb.jpg.c8d1a829f70edb204a04ee671c2bc169.jpg

That splash page would have made a great cover!

On 12/11/2023 at 11:43 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

This is one of the first Romance books I bought.  I thought the cover was so funny, as this only happens in the movies, right?

It was very, very cheap because it is low grade, and nobody collected these "love" books back then.  It took me 25 years to find a better copy (7.0 condition).  So does this mean it is rare, or rare in grade?  Or does it mean it does not command a lot of money and hence, there is no reason for collectors to sell their copies.  (shrug)

Romantic Confessions 8.jpg

Ha, great one, John Prentice.  Love cigarette girls.  I'll have to read some of these, as I know I like the Hillman crime books.  There's a number of good covers (neat colors, a trademark of the Hillman line in general, and almost all Prentice art), and they've got a little extra naughty like this cover. 

Looks like the only Hillman romance outside of Dr. Anthony's Love Clinic which bears investigation in its own right o.O

You often see a young lady writing her name 2 or 3 different places on a romance.  Stay out of my comics, brothers!!!

As for scarcity, I can't figure it out.  You see the sales numbers for something like Young Love in the comics or Love Story in the pulps and they are absolutely crazy high.  But then you have trouble finding issues.  I'd guess these Hillmans did fairly well (kind of surprised at just 25 issues) and are more common than many titles.  The condition thing is weird, too.  I get that fanboys haven't been socking them away in bags and boards forever like they do with the men in tights, but some lines seem to exist in higher grades than others.  I'd guess some of these books don't come to market because who wants to let go a beautiful Fine or better romance for 20 or 30 bucks just cuz no one is watching? :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Darwination

On 12/11/2023 at 9:43 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

This is one of the first Romance books I bought.  I thought the cover was so funny, as this only happens in the movies, right?

It was very, very cheap because it is low grade, and nobody collected these "love" books back then.  It took me 25 years to find a better copy (7.0 condition).  So does this mean it is rare, or rare in grade?  Or does it mean it does not command a lot of money and hence, there is no reason for collectors to sell their copies.  (shrug)

Romantic Confessions 8.jpg

Cigarette Girl doesn't seem to be interested.  lol  Guy can't take a hint.  I don't recall ever seeing a "Prentice" signature before.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:06 AM, Yorick said:

Cigarette Girl doesn't seem to be interested.  lol  Guy can't take a hint.  I don't recall ever seeing a "Prentice" signature before.

John Prentice?  Wow. Didn't know he did comic covers. I only know him as a newspaper cartoonist (took over Rip Kirby when Alex Raymond died).

On 12/11/2023 at 11:31 AM, sfcityduck said:

John Prentice?  Wow. Didn't know he did comic covers. I only know him as a newspaper cartoonist (took over Rip Kirby when Alex Raymond died).

MANY comic covers.  Lot's of romance.  At least half of the Hillman romance covers.

I read that he did a perfect Al Williamson swipe and Al got REALLY upset with him....  Secret Agent Corrigan (I think)?

On 12/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, Yorick said:
On 12/11/2023 at 2:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

MANY comic covers.  Lot's of romance.  At least half of the Hillman romance covers.

I read that he did a perfect Al Williamson swipe and Al got REALLY upset with him....  Secret Agent Corrigan (I think)?

Prentice did a decent amount of work for DC.  He drew some of the first My Greatest Adventure covers among other things.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:49 AM, badback83 said:

I just posted these in another thread, but I should’ve posted them here.  I had never seen these before.  If I did my research correctly, I don’t believe there are any CGC graded copies.

There's a bunch of ACG Romantic Adventures with no graded copies. Got a few recently myself to rectify that.