• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,566 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 9:46 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Apparently, if you had glasses in the 50’s it didn’t matter how hot you were. No dates for you!

IMG_8495.jpeg

(thumbsu First time I've seen that comic...

I've been looking at many "romance" covers lately to get an exposure to the artists, and one thing I've come to realize is that "the kiss" is something artists never quite mastered drawing.  I'd rate it along the lines of Golden Age sharks.  "Have you ever even seen a shark?!" "Have you ever even seen a kiss?!"  Some of these kisses look like they're about to miss completely, trying to eat their companion's face, chew their chin off, or meld with them in some physics-defying feat.

Edited by Telegan

On 6/16/2024 at 7:33 PM, buttock said:

Needs more tongue. 

In some of the pics, I doubt they exist.  One of the pair seems to have been conjoined at birth, sadly.

I like the potential art on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left.  Who is that artist?  Other than the fact she missed his lips and seems to be trying to suck down the side of his chin.

On 6/18/2024 at 7:55 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

I wonder if he is whispering "I have an extra four-day pass to San Diego Comic Con".   :wink:

Rarely is the back cover better than the front.  This is one of those books.

Romantic Marriage 7 front.jpg

Romantic marriage 7 back.jpg

Probably more like “My parents are going away for the weekend”…:devil:

On 6/19/2024 at 11:15 AM, Dr. Love said:

Ziff Davis had some good 'uns, as Billy Parker would say.  From the same title

btw this fantastic painted cover is by pulp art legend Allen Anderson.  Who produced about 30 other painted comic covers, predominately for Ziff, in '50-'52.

RomanticMarriage08fc100.jpg.19dbc798052c24726de7343bc5db3539.jpg

It's a shame so few cover paintings survive from this era.  I'm sure this original would be even lovelier.