• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,566 posts in this topic

What the heck, I'm up, and this will bring my painted cover magical mystery tour to a close. How fitting it be the Ziffies.

Man, I love Ziff Davis. They crush it in other genres too, of course. Basically, in romance, they're a two flavor house - photos and painteds. Their photos are a cut above in terms of composition and quality, and their painted covers - well, they're magic. But that's what you get when you bring in the big guns: Norman Saunders and Allen Anderson.

In some issues the back covers are an unexpected treat.

PerfectLove03fc_zpsrgbgvzbw.jpg

PerfectLove03rc_zpszzegfplb.jpg

Have one of those not rare from what i see but one of my all time favorites.Just an amazing piece of artwork in my opinion but who am i to say.Wonderful Doc!

And the last one, for tonight and for awhile. One of the sweetest romance covers you'll see. An Anderson masterpiece - the characters glow. When you hold the book in the hand, you keep looking to your left to see where's the light coming from - it's hard to believe there isn't an external source of illumination. And they are happy, happy, happy, and hopeful.

When you flip the book over, you're instantly transported into the couple's future. Everything's different, but in a beautiful, appropriate way. The scale is reduced, and that's as it should be. The image is line drawn, and that's as it should be too. Our couple is still in love and even better, at peace. They radiate contentment. The loving wife, the faithful dog, their eyes are closed as they rest with the husband (in his sartorial splendor!). He gazes into the fire; O what a happy man he was, his life a waking dream. Thank you, Lord.

and thanks, guys, and hopefully a lurking gal or two. I've enjoyed this so much. I'll catch you in Silver Romance - DC is a big deal and will be presented in the manner it deserves.

RomanticMarriage08fc100_zps1ac51ea2.jpg

RomanticMarriage08bc100_zps11f4d81d.jpg

And the last one, for tonight and for awhile. One of the sweetest romance covers you'll see. An Anderson masterpiece - the characters glow. When you hold the book in the hand, you keep looking to your left to see where's the light coming from - it's hard to believe there isn't an external source of illumination. And they are happy, happy, happy, and hopeful.

When you flip the book over, you're instantly transported into the couple's future. Everything's different, but in a beautiful, appropriate way. The scale is reduced, and that's as it should be. The image is line drawn, and that's as it should be too. Our couple is still in love and even better, at peace. They radiate contentment. The loving wife, the faithful dog, their eyes are closed as they rest with the husband (in his sartorial splendor!). He gazes into the fire; O what a happy man he was, his life a waking dream. Thank you, Lord.

and thanks, guys, and hopefully a lurking gal or two. I've enjoyed this so much. I'll catch you in Silver Romance - DC is a big deal and will be presented in the manner it deserves.

:applause: A masterpiece. I'm ashamed to say I once had a copy like yours and let it go. That book does not turn up often!

40513a63-5fd9-4ea8-bc7f-07ab569b6f11_zps1nymmoj6.jpg

Used to own one of these a while back. For those who have not seen the insides, nice GGA and a pretty risque cover story if i remember right. Edited by Sagii

The key to their contentment? No kids! :D

You guys have convinced me to put up my Romantic Marriage # 8 on ebay this weekend- been sitting in my basement for 20+ years taking up space. Didn't realize how much you guys appreciate this stuff for the beauty of them. Might as well go to a good home...

You guys have convinced me to put up my Romantic Marriage # 8 on ebay this weekend- been sitting in my basement for 20+ years taking up space. Didn't realize how much you guys appreciate this stuff for the beauty of them. Might as well go to a good home...

Just do it!

That back cover has such an Alex Raymond on Rip Kirby look to it. Fantastic. This one is still eluding me as is the Spectacular Adventures. One day ...

For me, the winning part of Romantic Marriage # 11 (March 1952 btw) is the stained glass window background behind the lovingly depicted bride. Great books. :applause:

And, yes there are quite a few nice copies of Perfect Love # 3 floating around. That's a fairly easy book to get.

I really like high grade books but I couldn't resist this when I had a chance to buy it 20 years ago.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

That speaks to the book and the lack of upgrade potential along the way (not that AS has spent every waking moment looking). Thanks for turning me on to the wonderfulness of Allen Anderson!

If I'd spotted an upgrade I would have bought it, but I've not devoted the effort nor seen the results you have with respect to romance. (worship)