• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

It seems like the AF 15 went up by thousands and the TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 stayed the same. Do people still think these books are comparable?

AF 15 4.0 is currently around $13k to $14k. There has not been a TMNT 1, 9.6 that has sold recently that I know of, but based on the recent significant increase in 9.8 value based on the 3 very strong 9.8 sales that have been going for 22-27k, I would put a TMNT 1 9.6 at around $12k. In 2015, AF 15 would have killed a TMNT 1 CGC 9.6, but the margin has closed this past year.

I think you estimation of TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 is very high.

A 9.4 just sold in 2-16 for 5k so a CGC 9.6 is still in the 8k range.

When did a TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 sell for 27k? I saw a 22k sale but nothing close to 27k.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650513

I know I'm biased, but I would always choose AF15. Even if it's not something you would want to personally collect, I feel there the market is larger than the TMNT.

That's still the point... two years later. Of course, AF15 has a larger market. It will always have a larger market of buyers. But it also has the supply.

253 people voted for the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 4.0.

There are 662 copies on the census at CGC 4.0 or higher.

All 253 people can have two copies each, if they can afford them.

84 people voted for the TMNT #1 CGC 9.6.

There are 56 copies on the census at CGC 9.6 or higher.

It doesn't matter how much money those 84 people have, 30% who would pick TMNT cannot own the TMNT. There aren't enough.

This whole topic is laughable.....AF15 is KING and the 3rd most important comic book EVER made!! I like the TMNT since I grew up with them but they are no where near being in the league of AF15's.....not even close!! It is like comparing Babe Ruth with an almost no name (Semi good) player of his time or even of our time....it's called insanity!!

You do realize that AF15 and TMNT 1 are 22 years apart, right?

That's like comparing a beat up 1930 Babe Ruth 4.0 card with a mint 9.6 condition 1952 Mickey Mantle rookie.

More than a few people would pick the 9.6 Mantle. It would be "insanity" to go with the 4.0 Babe Ruth.

This whole topic is laughable.....AF15 is KING and the 3rd most important comic book EVER made!! I like the TMNT since I grew up with them but they are no where near being in the league of AF15's.....not even close!! It is like comparing Babe Ruth with an almost no name (Semi good) player of his time or even of our time....it's called insanity!!

Hulk, Iron Man, Flash, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Thor, Ant-Man (TTA27), Justice League Of America (BB28), The Avengers and so on are way more in demand/popular than the TMNT!!

I would not trade any top 10 SA book for a TMNT #1....NEVER!!

In the end TMNT #1 is a cool book to own if you do not have to trade a more important book to own one. I hate putting TMNT #1 down like this because I like the book but when comparing it to AF15 or any other key SA book it simply makes no sens at all!!

this is 100% YOUR OPINION.

Action Comics 1

Detective Comics 27

Fantastic Four 1

Top three IMO. FF is the greatest part of early Marvel and responsible for the growth of 75% of the current Marvel Universe. You can NOT compare, more fans of AF15 now, sure. But the sheer importance of the first 100 FF issues is parallel to none.

It seems like the AF 15 went up by thousands and the TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 stayed the same. Do people still think these books are comparable?

AF 15 4.0 is currently around $13k to $14k. There has not been a TMNT 1, 9.6 that has sold recently that I know of, but based on the recent significant increase in 9.8 value based on the 3 very strong 9.8 sales that have been going for 22-27k, I would put a TMNT 1 9.6 at around $12k. In 2015, AF 15 would have killed a TMNT 1 CGC 9.6, but the margin has closed this past year.

When did a TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 sell for 27k? I saw a 22k sale but nothing close to 27k.

27 was just recently on CC. And he is correct that a 9.6, in light of the north of 20k sales of 9.8s, where does that actually leave a 9.6? I think it has risen, but we won't know til one sells. The 9.8 is a whole different animal if you ask me. TMNT1 is a very special book.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650513

I barely got 16k for my 9.8 two years ago during the new movie. :ohnoez:

A 10k jump just two years later seems kinda weird, but hey good for the seller.

27 was just recently on CC. And he is correct that a 9.6, in light of the north of 20k sales of 9.8s, where does that actually leave a 9.6? I think it has risen, but we won't know til one sells. The 9.8 is a whole different animal if you ask me. TMNT1 is a very special book.

Well it wasn't that special just 2 years ago then since it only sold for 16k. (shrug)

27k for TMNT #1 in CGC 9.8 doesn't sound like a sound long-term market price for this book IMO.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Well it wasn't that special just 2 years ago then since it only sold for 16k. (shrug)

27k for TMNT #1 in CGC 9.8 doesn't sound like a sound long-term market price for this book IMO.

Same could be said for AF15. It wasn't all that special(compared to now) 2-3 years ago.

A 5.0 sold in January for $11k more than the 2014 average. My 3.5 has doubled since I bought it in late 20012-early 2013(can't remember exactly)

TMNT1 9.8 doesn't come up often, and when it does, looks like there's more people that want it than there are copies. Those TMNT kids are starting to make some $$.

TMNT1 9.8 doesn't come up often, and when it does, looks like there's more people that want it than there are copies. Those TMNT kids are starting to make some $$.

We're turning 40. :gossip:lol

Same could be said for AF15. It wasn't all that special(compared to now) 2-3 years ago.

A 5.0 sold in January for $11k more than the 2014 average. My 3.5 has doubled since I bought it in late 20012-early 2013(can't remember exactly)

Apparently not then over the the 2010-2014 span.

I can see the book selling for 20-22k, but 27k is laughable.

Same thing for a WWBN #32 in CGC 9.8. A market where a fool is parting with his money.

To each his own, but when items go up too fast a crash of realism isn't too far behind.

Condolences. ;)

It would be tougher if I wasn't "starting to make some $$". lol

Same thing for a WWBN #32 in CGC 9.8. A market where a fool is parting with his money.

To each his own, but when items go up too fast a crash of realism isn't too far behind.

27k is nutso. I must agree. So much you could be better off with in today's market. I'm sure all the TMNT1 owners are grateful for his sacrifice for their best interest.

27k is nutso. I must agree. So much you could be better off with in today's market. I'm sure all the TMNT1 owners are grateful for his sacrifice for their best interest.

I get it TMNT #1 is a solid book, but for any educated buyer can see the book has been trading well under what the realized price was.

We have all seen books that sell for a WTF price only to see the next one sell for half

of that last sale value.

I am not saying TMNT #1 will sell for 15k again but I would bet the next sale of this book in 9.8 doesn't sniff 27k.

I wouldn't say it's a meteoric rise or anything...I'd call it more a natural fluctuation based on the small number of sales TMNT #1 has in 9.8.

The first public 9.8 sale for TMNT #1 was for $23K...maybe 2010 or so. Yours was lower, the CC one was higher. It's tough to really pinpoint a "going rate" when you don't have many data points.

Condolences. ;)

It would be tougher if I wasn't "starting to make some $$". lol

lol(thumbs u

I wouldn't say it's a meteoric rise or anything...I'd call it more a natural fluctionation based on the small number of sales TMNT #1 has in 9.8.

The first public 9.8 sale for TMNT #1 was for $23K...maybe 2010 or so. Yours was lower, the CC one was higher. It's tough to really pinpoint a "going rate" when you don't have many data points.

Agreed.

BTW, GPA has 11 sales of AF15 4.0 in 2015. The range was $11,353 - $17,500. That's a wide range as well.

Last one sold for $13k even.

In other words, for ALL things, comics included., “Past performance does not guarantee future results.”