• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

I was thinking Pep #22 as well but only in that most people know who Archie is.

In terms of awareness of the actual book, ummmm, Cap 1. That's my guess.

See I think your #4 is more as comic book back issue importance than popularity.

Wolverine beats Cap all day in terms of general public awareness.

Movies helped Cap, but in the 90's Wolverine was leaps and bounds over Cap no?

I think in the 90s the two characters that all of my friends seemed to like were Gambit and Thunderstrike.

So kids today see both a picture of Wolverine or Archie who will they even know who Archie is more so than Wolverine?

Kids are a small percentage of pop culture.

If we use kids as the basis, then Justin Bieber and One Direction beat Wolverine.

Equal.

Kids are huuuuuuuuuuuuge for a basis.

The most important factor for our books to be growing is little Jimmy.

Yes, but kids grow out of some things... grow fond of others... grow up...

and grow nostalgic about only a little of what used to be most important.

I never cared for Spider-man... when I was a kid, he was just a bad skit on the Electric Company reruns.

Now I've been the proud owner of two copies of AF #15, am still the owner of one copy...

and the book was printed 14 years before I was born.

Meanwhile, I quoted the theme to He-Man "I am Adam... by the power of Greyskull" easily on the playground when I was a kid.

Now, I don't care about He-Man.

Kids suck at choosing... that's why they can't vote. :kidaround:

I was thinking Pep #22 as well but only in that most people know who Archie is.

In terms of awareness of the actual book, ummmm, Cap 1. That's my guess.

See I think your #4 is more as comic book back issue importance than popularity.

Wolverine beats Cap all day in terms of general public awareness.

Movies helped Cap, but in the 90's Wolverine was leaps and bounds over Cap no?

I feel that SoT is taking a more unbiased view here than some others. Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever. TMNT is a niche book guys. As a comic, it is not mainstream. It's small print run by comparison, is plenty to satisfy the small pool of buyers who are looking for one at any give time. And when the speculator contingency moves on to the next hot book, the pool of buyers will shrink back down to its normal foundation, and the current prices we are seeing will drop back down to their historical levels. We have already seen the "explosion" in prices because of this movie that's coming out. And the requisite subsequent price deflation is inevitable. Hence many collectors who do not see this book as a "buy" at these price points. They are artificially high right now.

-J.

Wow you guys caused quite a stir.I personally think it's an awesome trade both ways.

What the hell do I know? (shrug)

Trade talk ended pages ago. lol

Sure John Sheit on the only guy that is not in your oatmeal. :makepoint:

Flyers suck,go DUCKS! :baiting:

Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever.

Good point. Deadpool is a totally serious character that everyone outside our hobby has heard of... who is not a ripoff of Deathstroke with a rhyming name Wade/Slade Wilson.

Game over... insert coins.

Better luck next time.

So kids today see both a picture of Wolverine or Archie who will they even know who Archie is more so than Wolverine?

If we use kids as the basis, then Justin Bieber and One Direction beat Wolverine.

Equal.

I never cared for Spider-man... when I was a kid, he was just a bad skit on the Electric Company reruns.

Now I've been the proud owner of two copies of AF #15, am still the owner of one copy...

Meanwhile, I could quote the theme to He-Man "I am Adam... by the power of Greyskull" easily when I was a kid.

Kids suck.

Just because the kids grow out of it doesn't mean they forget who the character is, that is my point.

Most things people collect were 10-15 years before they were born a lot of times.

Again you messed up and are giving me personal factors not objective top 5.

Superman it to me is a big time loser (except for last summer's awesome movie), but it is obvious AC #1 is #1 on anyone's list worth taking seriously.

I can't think of any character more popular than Wolverine as of today's at #4.

Hulk, Iron Man, Cap closed the gap, but still not 4th IMO.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

This graph shows a small post 2008 dip. Everything dipped in '08. This isn't that big a dip either comparitive to everything else. This indicates it is holding it's value very well.

Small dip? It lost almost half its value and stayed around there until the movie announcement. Come on guys.

-J.

Come on, Jesus christ your posts make me want to pull all my hair out.

So movie hype only applies to TMNT #1?

Af 15 same rinse and repeat dude.

You're wrong again. AF 15 already surpassed SC 4 as the top silver age book long before the first new set of movies were ever released. Did the movies hurt the values? Of course not. But AF 15 does not need the movies in order to maintain its value and increase. Just look at the last two that were released, which ranged from sub par to crappy. Didn't hurt the books one bit. Unlike SC 22 which collapsed in value after the Green Lantern movie came out and was horrible. The movie is the ONLY thing stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

-J.

Equal.

Meanwhile, I could quote the theme to He-Man "I am Adam... by the power of Greyskull" easily when I was a kid.

Kids suck.

Just because the kids grow out of it doesn't mean they forget who the character is, that is my point.

Most things people collect were 10-15 years before they were born a lot of times.

Again you messed up and are giving me personal factors not objective top 5.

Superman it to me is a big time loser (except for last summer's awesome movie), but it is obvious AC #1 is #1 on anyone's list worth taking seriously.

I can't think of any character more popular than Wolverine as #4.

Hulk, Iron Man, Cap closed the gap, but still not 4th IMO.

No, I'm saying that my definition of pop culture includes everyone from 3 to 93.

Survey the world of consumers and see who knows who... that's who's at the top of pop culture.

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

This graph shows a small post 2008 dip. Everything dipped in '08. This isn't that big a dip either comparitive to everything else. This indicates it is holding it's value very well.

Small dip? It lost almost half its value and stayed around there until the movie announcement. Come on guys.

-J.

You're wrong again. AF 15 already surpassed SC 4 as the top silver age book long before the first new set of movies were ever released. Did the movies hurt the values? Of course not. But AF 15 does not need the movies in order to maintain its value and increase. Just look at the last two that were released, which ranged from sub par to crappy. Didn't hurt the books one bit. Unlike SC 22 which collapsed in value after the Green Lantern movie came out and was horrible. The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

-J.

Jesus Christ once again. (shrug)

So would AF 15 have gone up as much as they have without the 6 movies and counting or Metro's CGC 9.6 million private sale impacting all the lesser grades? :baiting:

Let's pretend you do...

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

-J.

You're wrong again. AF 15 already surpassed SC 4 as the top silver age book long before the first new set of movies were ever released. Did the movies hurt the values? Of course not. But AF 15 does not need the movies in order to maintain its value and increase. Just look at the last two that were released, which ranged from sub par to crappy. Didn't hurt the books one bit. Unlike SC 22 which collapsed in value after the Green Lantern movie came out and was horrible. The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

-J.

So would AF 15 have gone up as much as they have without the 6 movies and counting or Metro's CGC 9.6 million private sale impacting all the lesser grades? :baiting:

lol maybe you should read my post again.

-J.

The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

Wrong. Twice.

I didn't know there was a TMNT movie coming out. I knew that TMNT was turning 30 and I could still afford a high grade copy.

Secondly, I knew that turning thirty plus a tiny print run does not mean that people should wait. Wait for what? More to be printed? For the "newness" to wear off?

There are VERY few copies of Action #1 and Detective #27. What happened when there were a couple of high sales? The whole ship rose quickly.

Do you think one low sale can knock down Action #1 and Detective #27?

It only takes a few sales of a tiny print run to make the price insane... for good.

If you think I'm just talking about the Golden Age big two (Action #1 and Detective #27), try buying a Maxx Black.

Let's pretend you do...

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

-J.

-J.

lol maybe you should read my post again.

-J.

Here is the answer without movies and the Metro 9.6 sale the AF 15 answer is:

(gone up yes exploded see below)

daniel-bryan-NO_zps963574c4.gif

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

Wrong. Twice.

I didn't know there was a TMNT movie coming out. I knew that TMNT was turning 30 and I could still afford a high grade copy.

Secondly, I knew that turning thirty plus a tiny print run does not mean that people should wait. Wait for what? More to be printed? For the "newness" to wear off?

There are VERY few copies of Action #1 and Detective #27. What happened when there were a couple of high sales? The whole ship rose quickly.

Do you think one low sale can knock down Action #1 and Detective #27?

It only takes a few sales of a tiny print run to make the price insane... for good.

If you think I'm just talking about the Golden Age big two (Action #1 and Detective #27), try buying a Maxx Black.

I think your main problem is that you keep trying to compare actually culturally significant books, from different ages with singular unique characters to TMNT. That's a reach, and that's putting it mildly. No one is saying that the book isn't worth anything. What most are saying (as the results of your poll also indicate) is that a NM+ copy of TMNT 1 < VG AF 15. And that applies now and 10, 20, 30 years from now, whether each franchise releases 10 movies or 0 movies. Reminds me of that old saying about asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to.

-J.

Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil Ronin, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever. TMNT is a niche book guys. As a comic, it is not mainstream. It's small print run by comparison, is plenty to satisfy the small pool of buyers who are looking for one at any give time. And when the speculator contingency moves on to the next hot book, the pool of buyers will shrink back down to its normal foundation, and the current prices we are seeing will drop back down to their historical levels. We have already seen the "explosion" in prices because of this movie that's coming out. And the requisite subsequent price deflation is inevitable. Hence many collectors who do not see this book as a "buy" at these price points. They are artificially high right now.

-J.

Fixed that for you. While both were done by Miller, Daredevil was good, Ronin was not. You could argue the covers to Ronin were pretty good.

Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil Ronin, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever. TMNT is a niche book guys. As a comic, it is not mainstream. It's small print run by comparison, is plenty to satisfy the small pool of buyers who are looking for one at any give time. And when the speculator contingency moves on to the next hot book, the pool of buyers will shrink back down to its normal foundation, and the current prices we are seeing will drop back down to their historical levels. We have already seen the "explosion" in prices because of this movie that's coming out. And the requisite subsequent price deflation is inevitable. Hence many collectors who do not see this book as a "buy" at these price points. They are artificially high right now.

-J.

Fixed that for you. While both were done by Miller, Daredevil was good, Ronin was not. You could argue the covers to Ronin were pretty good.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.