• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

Wrong. Twice.

I didn't know there was a TMNT movie coming out. I knew that TMNT was turning 30 and I could still afford a high grade copy.

Secondly, I knew that turning thirty plus a tiny print run does not mean that people should wait. Wait for what? More to be printed? For the "newness" to wear off?

There are VERY few copies of Action #1 and Detective #27. What happened when there were a couple of high sales? The whole ship rose quickly.

Do you think one low sale can knock down Action #1 and Detective #27?

It only takes a few sales of a tiny print run to make the price insane... for good.

If you think I'm just talking about the Golden Age big two (Action #1 and Detective #27), try buying a Maxx Black.

I think your main problem is that you keep trying to compare actually culturally significant books, from different ages with singular unique characters to TMNT. That's a reach, and that's putting it mildly. No one is saying that the book isn't worth anything. What most are saying (as the results of your poll also indicate) is that a NM+ copy of TMNT 1 < VG AF 15. And that applies now and 10, 20, 30 years from now, whether each franchise releases 10 movies or 0 movies. What's that old saying about asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to?

-J.

Why are you under the impression that TMNT isn't culturally significant? The animated series was the third highest rated cartoon for kids aged 2-11 last month. That seems like something.

The movie is the ONLY think stoking speculator interest in TMNT 1 right now, and the small print run can actually work against it because of that since it will only take one low sale to bring down the house of cards.

Wrong. Twice.

I didn't know there was a TMNT movie coming out. I knew that TMNT was turning 30 and I could still afford a high grade copy.

Secondly, I knew that turning thirty plus a tiny print run does not mean that people should wait. Wait for what? More to be printed? For the "newness" to wear off?

There are VERY few copies of Action #1 and Detective #27. What happened when there were a couple of high sales? The whole ship rose quickly.

It only takes a few sales of a tiny print run to make the price insane... for good.

If you think I'm just talking about the Golden Age big two (Action #1 and Detective #27), try buying a Maxx Black.

I think your main problem is that you keep trying to compare actually culturally significant books, from different ages with singular unique characters to TMNT. That's a reach, and that's putting it mildly. No one is saying that the book isn't worth anything. What most are saying (as the results of your poll also indicate) is that a NM+ copy of TMNT 1 < VG AF 15. And that applies now and 10, 20, 30 years from now, whether each franchise releases 10 movies or 0 movies. What's that old saying about asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to?

-J.

Why are you under the impression that TMNT isn't culturally significant? The animated series was the third highest rated cartoon for kids aged 2-11 last month. That seems like something.

IMG_1478_zpsaa2f5cec.jpg

Wrong. Twice.

-J.

It is something. How much a third place cartoon for grade schoolers has on mainstream culture is debatable though. I guess the movie will be the real test of that. But again, as a comic book, it historically appealed to a niche collector pool, and that was already after, that cartoon, all the toys, and what, three movies that came out awhile back? I'm simply saying that the movie has artificially (and temporarily) increased demand from speculators, and that is not the kind of demand that you want to make a high four figure or five figure long term play on. From a purely value standpoint of course.

-J.

Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil Ronin, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever. TMNT is a niche book guys. As a comic, it is not mainstream. It's small print run by comparison, is plenty to satisfy the small pool of buyers who are looking for one at any give time. And when the speculator contingency moves on to the next hot book, the pool of buyers will shrink back down to its normal foundation, and the current prices we are seeing will drop back down to their historical levels. We have already seen the "explosion" in prices because of this movie that's coming out. And the requisite subsequent price deflation is inevitable. Hence many collectors who do not see this book as a "buy" at these price points. They are artificially high right now.

-J.

Fixed that for you. While both were done by Miller, Daredevil was good, Ronin was not. You could argue the covers to Ronin were pretty good.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

did you just include deadpool and venom in a list of the most amazing characters ever created?

Deadpool was essentially a rip off of DC's Deathstroke and Venom... Venom was nothing more than a fanboy idea the Shooter paid $200 bucks for back in the 80s...

Fact of the matter is, four visually virtually indistinguishable turtles on a karate team that were created originally as a parody to Daredevil Ronin, in no way, whatsoever compare, or will ever compare, with characters as singular as Spiderman, wolverine, iron man, hulk, wonder woman, green lantern, deadpool, venom, the joker, lex luthor, batman, superman, swamp thing, aqua man, flash, or whomever. TMNT is a niche book guys. As a comic, it is not mainstream. It's small print run by comparison, is plenty to satisfy the small pool of buyers who are looking for one at any give time. And when the speculator contingency moves on to the next hot book, the pool of buyers will shrink back down to its normal foundation, and the current prices we are seeing will drop back down to their historical levels. We have already seen the "explosion" in prices because of this movie that's coming out. And the requisite subsequent price deflation is inevitable. Hence many collectors who do not see this book as a "buy" at these price points. They are artificially high right now.

-J.

Fixed that for you. While both were done by Miller, Daredevil was good, Ronin was not. You could argue the covers to Ronin were pretty good.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

did you just include deadpool and venom in a list of the most amazing characters ever created?

Deadpool was essentially a rip off of DC's Deathstroke and Venom... Venom was nothing more than a fanboy idea the Shooter paid $200 bucks for back in the 80s...

....and Batman was originally a rip off of the Shadow lol. I actually just rattled off a list of popular, known named comic book characters of varying ages in order to make a point about the basically indistinguishable group of the TMNT.

-J.

I actually just rattled off a list of popular, known named comic book characters of varying ages in order to make a point about the basically indistinguishable group of the TMNT.

-J.

they're indistinguishable to you...

I couldnt tell one member of OneDirection from the other, but there are a billion screaming girls around the world who can tell them apart at 100 meters.

just cause you dont get it, doesnt mean there arent plenty who can...

(ps. Leo has the swords (blue) Michaelangelo has the nunchucks (wears orange), Donatello wears purple and has the staff, Raphael in red has the knives.

-J.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

....and Batman was originally a rip off of the Shadow lol. I actually just rattled off a list of popular, known named comic book characters of varying ages in order to make a point about the basically indistinguishable group of the TMNT.

-J.

You should counting your lucky stars your FF #1 book below hasn't become worthless after all the past and now future disgraceful movie adaptations. lol

A real shame Marvel didn't get the rights back. :cry:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

-J.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

You should counting your star your FF book below has become worthless after all the past and now future disgraceful movie adaptations. lol

A real shame Marvel didn't get the right backs. :cry:

And if it had become worthless, I wouldn't care since I love FF either way. Though it should be noted that the horrible movies did little to hurt the value and demand for the book since the book is historically significant within the comic book collecting world. That's something a bunch of ridiculous movies being made will never change. Oh, and by the way TMNT 1 < FF 1 as well. By a whole, whole, whole lot.

-J.

-J.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

You should counting your star your FF book below has become worthless after all the past and now future disgraceful movie adaptations. lol

And if it had become worthless, I wouldn't care since I love FF either way. Though it should be noted that the horrible movies did little to hurt the value and demand for the book since the book is historically significant within the comic book collecting world. That's something a bunch of ridiculous movies being made will never change. Oh, and by the way TMNT 1 < FF 1 as well. By a whole, whole, whole lot.

-J.

Yes and?

Did you not see where I said TMNT #1 isn't in the top 100 comic books of all time.

Well 50 for sure they might squeeze out at between 75-100. hm

-J.

lol touché. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Yes and?

Did you not see where I said TMNT #1 isn't in the top 100 comic books of all time.

Well 50 for sure they might squeeze out at between 75-100. hm

Yes I did. Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who came up on the nice presenting AF 15 and a +$2000 give or take net in this whole deal? lol

-J.

I said it before and I'll say it again. As long as both parties were happy with the trade is wasn't so one sided as to be a rip off on either side. As far as future values I have no idea. And to be honest no one here does. Both could go up, one or the other could go up, or the bubble could burst on both of them.

I said it before and I'll say it again. As long as both parties were happy with the trade is wasn't so one sided as to be a rip off on either side. As far as future values I have no idea. And to be honest no one here does. Both could go up, one or the other could go up, or the bubble could burst on both of them.

+1 on that for sure. That's what most guys have been saying since Post 2. If both guys agreed to the trade and are happy with it, then neither was "ripped off". And I think a lot of us may have lost some value on a trade here or there in order to get a book we really, really wanted. Happens all the time.

-J.

Saying Spiderman (or FF) > TMNT

is

saying

9.6 > 4.0

Was money left on the table, maybe. And if you had to twist my arm I'd say AF15 got the better end. But the clear very recent direction of TMNT 1 is clearly up and a smart owner of a TMNT 1 in 9.6 would know that and demand a premium of sorts.

Saying Spiderman (or FF) > TMNT

is

saying

9.6 > 4.0

Was money left on the table, maybe. And if you had to twist my arm I'd say AF15 got the better end. But the clear very recent direction of TMNT 1 is clearly up and a smart owner of a TMNT 1 in 9.6 would know that and demand a premium of sorts.

Have you seen the copy of AF 15 Valiant traded? It's a beauty. He would have been equally justified in demanding the same kind of premium. The kind dealers like Gator are willing to pay wholesale even, to get an AF 15 like his.

-J.

+1 on that for sure. That's what most guys have been saying since Post 2. If both guys agreed to the trade and are happy with it, then neither was "ripped off". And I think a lot of us may have lost some value on a trade here or there in order to get a book we really, really wanted. Happens all the time.

-J.

Dude this thread has nothing to do with the trade anymore.

OP wanted validation which he got, I didn't need it on my end. Everything you both had said is pretty common sense.

This thread is based on Af 15 CGC 4.0 for TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 straight up, and the problem is not all the facts where disclosed to see why Greg (OP) made an correct trade as did I.

He used a 5k book to make a 8k trade, and no ones knows what I paid for my raw TMNT #1. Greg's profit is 3k and with a book he loves. Ding ding ding Winner!

I would have preferred Greg to have not started this thread cause this transaction is none of anyone's business to be blunt. Greg needed more validation for himself because this was a big trade for him, and not so much as me which I get.

This thread shifted to me when people said TMNT #1 is fad/bubble book.

That makes me not take anyone seriously who thinks on those lines.

-J.

OP wanted validation which he got, I didn't need it on my end. Everything you both had said is pretty common sense.

This thread is based on Af 15 CGC 4.0 for TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 straight up, and the problem is not all the facts where disclosed to see why Greg (OP) made an correct trade as did I.

He used a 5k book to make a 8k trade, and no ones knows what I paid for my raw TMNT #1. Greg's profit is 3k and with a book he loves. Ding ding ding Winner!

I would have preferred Greg to have not started this thread cause this transaction is none of anyone's business to be blunt. Greg needed more validation for himself because this was a big trade for him, and not so much as me which I get.

The poll specifically asks "Who got the better deal?". Most of the peripheral conversations that resulted pertain to the overall long term value proposition of each book. Those who have chimed in don't need to know how much each guy was into their book in order to make the call on that question.

Answer: You did. (*see poll results)

-J.

-J.

The poll specifically asks "Who got the better deal?". Most of the peripheral conversations that resulted pertain to the overall long term value proposition of each book. Those who have chimed in don't need to know how much each guy was into their book in order to make the call on that question.

-J.

I can debate you on that then.

AF 15 CGC 4.0 last sale didnt even crack 8k so last sale to last sale both books are equal.

Now maybe the Heritage last sale was a POS looking AF 15 in CGC 4.0, that would be my best guess.

See I am being a pain in the arse as well! :acclaim:

Long-term IMO as many feel the same that AF 15 is the better book. I don't really see anyone even going against that statement even the OP.

This thread was started for validation only, not for educational purposes.

No one learned anything from this thread that isn't blatantly obvious.

I did see what people lack the basic knowledge to see what a mega key is past 1975 though. (: I kid I kid

-J.

-J.

I can debate you on that then.

AF 15 CGC 4.0 last sale didnt even crack 8k so last sale to last sale both books are equal.

Now maybe the Heritage last sale was a POS looking AF 15 in CGC 4.0, that would be my best guess.

See I am being a pain in the arse as well! :acclaim:

Long-term IMO as many feel the same that AF 15 is the better book. I don't really see anyone even going against that statement even the OP.

This thread was started for validation only, not for educational purposes.

No one learned anything from this thread that isn't blatantly obvious.

I did see what people lack the basic knowledge to see what a mega key is past 1975 though. (: I kid I kid

I get the feeling you're a nice guy and you don't want valiant to have a bad taste in his mouth about the deal if he should have second thoughts. Clearly 2 out of three people that voted would have made the same trade that you made. Valiant loves his turtles and more power to him for that. You're both adults and one must assume you both knew what you were doing and made the trade you wanted to make. That's all that matters. And yes, that lower sale of a 4.0 on heritage that just sold last night looks like dog poo poo compared to yours. That's why well presenting copies in the same grade almost always command a premium. (thumbs u

-J.