• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

Last 3 9.8s sold for $22.5, $22.5, and $27.

I'd say that makes TMNT1 9.8 a $20k+ book all day long. Which puts a 9.6 in the $10-12k price range IMO.

I am aware of a private sale from about a month ago just under 11k for a 9.6

:applause:(thumbs u

No wonder why this was 9.6 slab was BINd so quick for $5K just 5 days ago.

Last 3 9.8s sold for $22.5, $22.5, and $27.

I'd say that makes TMNT1 9.8 a $20k+ book all day long. Which puts a 9.6 in the $10-12k price range IMO.

I am aware of a private sale from about a month ago just under 11k for a 9.6

:applause:(thumbs u

No wonder why this was 9.6 slab was BINd so quick for $5K just 5 days ago.

Big time scam.

-J.

I think the TMNT has more room to grow, less available and harder to find in that grade.

that being said, it also has a greater risk. people couldn't care about the turtles in 2-3 years while AF15 is a solid book for a long time

Turtles have been around since 1984 with 32 years under its belt. I don't think people will just "not care" about it in 2-3 years. Alot of the 30 year olds now who grew up watching turtles have yet to reach their financial peak. I still think there is a ton of potential with turtles.

2c

Turtles have been around since 1984 with 32 years under its belt. I don't think people will just "not care" about it in 2-3 years. Alot of the 30 year olds now who grew up watching turtles have yet to reach their financial peak. I still think there is a ton of potential with turtles.

2c

This is very accurate.

TMNT has also been re-intorduced to every new generation since its inception and the popularity keeps growing. BY the way saw a 9.6 number 1 sold for $15,000 on comiclink a month or so ago.

Edited by rabidwolf

This is very accurate.

TMNT has also been re-intorduced to every new generation since its inception and the popularity keeps growing. BY the way saw a 9.6 number 1 sold for $15,000 on comiclink a month or so ago.

LInk?

This is very accurate.

LInk?

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DTeenage%2Bmutant%2Bninja%2Bturtles%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1114386

That's a pretty blatant outlier from the last sale (granted , the last sale in that grade was over a year ago).

-J.

This is very accurate.

LInk?

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DTeenage%2Bmutant%2Bninja%2Bturtles%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1114386

That's a pretty blatant outlier from the last sale (granted , the last sale in that grade was over a year ago).

-J.

ya but 9.8s were selling for 15k a year ago. Now 9.8s are consistently well over 20k. This book was due for a price jump in very high grade. High grade copies were relatively stable the last 5 or so years in terms of price while the mid and low grade copies doubled in value during that same time.

There just wont be enough of these books with a 3000 print run for all collectors who want one- a small portion of those copies probably dont even exist anymore- There are only 664 graded, whereas your typical silver age keys are in the thousands. Even the rare marvel keys like Hulk 1 has twice as many graded.

This is very accurate.

LInk?

-J.

ya but 9.8s were selling for 15k a year ago. Now 9.8s are consistently well over 20k. This book was due for a price jump in very high grade. High grade copies were relatively stable the last 5 or so years in terms of price while the mid and low grade copies doubled in value during that same time.

There just wont be enough of these books with a 3000 print run for all collectors who want one- a small portion of those copies probably dont even exist anymore- There are only 664 graded, whereas your typical silver age keys are in the thousands. Even the rare marvel keys like Hulk 1 has twice as many graded.

But there's a cheaper 9.6 copy on eBay... (shrug)

-J.

This is very accurate.

LInk?

-J.

True

But there's a cheaper 9.6 copy on eBay... (shrug)

-J.

True 15k is high but I think this is a solid 12k book now

Throwing nostalgia aside, I'm going to say TMNT #1 9.6 from a sheer investment perspective.

As far as price: AF 15 4.0 CGC sells for what I can surmise around 13K. TMNT #1 9.6 CGC sells for around 15K recently and is rising.

As far as supply: There are as of now 156 AF 15 cgc 4.0's out there. There are only 38 TMNT #1 1st prints in 9.6 in circulation. The clear winner is TMNT.

TMNT in this case is a clear winner in my book, only based on the grades. Nostalgia aside.

5 days left for this TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 White Pages in this Heritage auction. Bidding is at 4600$ (5497$ with BP).

This will be a good gauge of this books current value in 2016.

Link:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7137-91186.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-BrowseThisAuction-120115

No doubt AF15 4.0 is the more expensive book right now, maybe 20-25% higher. And Spider-Man will always, in all probability, be a bigger character.

But, like IH1 and SH4, whose characters also are less popular that Spider-Man, but whose prices keep rising based mostly on lower numbers, TMNT1 9.6 can catch up, and possibly surpass, AF15 4.0. Time will tell.

Census:

AF15 - 2492

IH1 - 1286

TMNT1 - 664

SH4 - 355

TMNT1 9.6 - 41

AF15 4.0 - 224