• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

New to the debate. As an owner of an AF15 4.0 and 3.5, I wouldn't trade either for TMNT 1 (both bought around the same time as the OP).

The Bay movie screen shoots I've seen so far make me cringe. And I'm embarrassed to admit I watched the old '90s films too. Double cringe.

Sure, the book is rare and that dang black cover makes it hard to find in high grade. But Spidey has been around longer and has had interest re-booted plenty of times. ASM #1 (2014) is the best selling book of the 21st century. Spidey, like Supes and Bats, will remain in pop-culture lore when the TMNT are reduced to a footnote in comic-book history.

No contest.

But hey, if the OP is happy, good for him! :)

I agree, "my stuff is *spoon* but your stuff is *spoonerer*"

I double agree, "I like best the book I happen to have in my collection at the time of this writing".

I agree, "my stuff is *spoon* but your stuff is *spoonerer*"

lol

New to the debate. As an owner of an AF15 4.0 and 3.5, I wouldn't trade either for TMNT 1 (both bought around the same time as the OP).

The Bay movie screen shoots I've seen so far make me cringe. And I'm embarrassed to admit I watched the old '90s films too. Double cringe.

Sure, the book is rare and that dang black cover makes it hard to find in high grade. But Spidey has been around longer and has had interest re-booted plenty of times. ASM #1 (2014) is the best selling book of the 21st century. Spidey, like Supes and Bats, will remain in pop-culture lore when the TMNT are reduced to a footnote in comic-book history.

No contest.

But hey, if the OP is happy, good for him! :)

My son, and all his friends, love the turtles. Could give two *spoons* about Superman. Superman current sales suck(just over 37k in April, 2014, ranking 54th. BTW, that is 20k more than the TMNT book. No doubt TMNT comic sales are weak, but their overall presence is strong.), and have for a long time. Yet Action #1 seems to do ok. ;) I bring this up because your correlation between current sales and long term interest is flawed. I don't see the turtles ever becoming just a footnote, as they now have 30 years of pop culture significance under their belt. Same place Spidey was in 1992.

I own AF 15, and TMNT 1. Love them both. Nothing beats Spidey, and I wouldn't trade my AF for anything other than a higher grade. But TMNT 1 is THE book of the last 30 years, and I don't see it doing anything but appreciating.

From a financial perspective, TMNT #1 is a better deal. They are both about the same value, but the TMNT climbed to that value in a little over half the time. So it's climbing faster. If you assume that it will keep doing that (admittedly a big assumption), in 10 years, you'd be able to sell the TMNT #1, buy an AF15, and pocket a tidy sum.

Consider one other thing. If you walk through the toy aisle on Walmart, you'll find Spiderman on the shelves. But you'll also find lots of turtles. The TMNTs aren't going away...not when it is still the theme of birthday parties for little kids.

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

I think the AF #15 bubble is about to burst now that we have Smurf Electro, Hobbit Green Goblin, and Gundam Rhino.

Nah, I am excited for the new movie.

As I said before this is not Amazing Spider-man it is Ultimate Spider-man, but AF 15 get the increase in value rather than Ultimate Spider-man #1 (any of the covers).

If AF 15 has a downward trend than the hobby as a whole is done, but I believe more the major keys only have a chance of going down is if America collapses.

These characters are American folklore, so IMO Jack Kirby, Romita, Sternako, and so on are so important to American culture it is a disgrace schools do not have them on US history books. :preach:

:jokealert:

lol

I'm looking forward to the movie as well, though I am a little worried about the portrayals.

And "funny books" will never get the respect they deserve from the people at large. Most think all these $B franchises popped into existence from nowhere.

I just read in another thread here that someone donated a buttload of long boxes to a local university because they are offering a course on comic book history. It's playing out as a slow burn but it appears respect is coming. Every year of seeing creators promote comics via social media and movies getting made and blowing out box office records just makes for leaps and bounds of the visibility of comic books as a widely accepted means of entertainment or pop culture. It's like a marketing machine that grows like the Borg. In the 40s, 50s and 60s, comic books were considered a fad. But all those people were just as wrong as Jaydog...

As I get older and watch the generations get younger, I more understand my inability to understand what intrigues the younger people. (Want proof? Go ask your parents about something you know "they just won't understand". "But Mom, THIS tv is better because it's in high definition and shows the movie in the correct aspect ratio!") The influences babies grow up with in the current state of the world shape them differently than 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. When you see what remains stable through all that time, you know you have something special or at least ingrained as something basic or fundamental. I'll never get Pokemon or trying to pretend life before the internet didn't exist, but whatever floats their boat. I've made my peace with that long ago.

That said, I'd still love to have both books. I would not want to choose.

I think the AF #15 bubble is about to burst now that we have Smurf Electro, Hobbit Green Goblin, and Gundam Rhino.

As I said before this is not Amazing Spider-man it is Ultimate Spider-man, but AF 15 get the increase in value rather than Ultimate Spider-man #1 (any of the covers).

If AF 15 has a downward trend than the hobby as a whole is done, but I believe more the major keys only have a chance of going down is if America collapses.

These characters are American folklore, so IMO Jack Kirby, Romita, Sternako, and so on are so important to American culture it is a disgrace schools do not have them on US history books. :preach:

lol

I'm looking forward to the movie as well, though I am a little worried about the portrayals.

And "funny books" will never get the respect they deserve from the people at large. Most think all these $B franchises popped into existence from nowhere.

I just read in another thread here that someone donated a buttload of long boxes to a local university because they are offering a course on comic book history. It's playing out as a slow burn but it appears respect is coming. Every year of seeing creators promote comics via social media and movies getting made and blowing out box office records just makes for leaps and bounds of the visibility of comic books as a widely accepted means of entertainment or pop culture. It's like a marketing machine that grows like the Borg. In the 40s, 50s and 60s, comic books were considered a fad. But all those people were just as wrong as Jaydog...

As I get older and watch the generations get younger, I more understand my inability to understand what intrigues the younger people. (Want proof? Go ask your parents about something you know "they just won't understand". "But Mom, THIS tv is better because it's in high definition and shows the movie in the correct aspect ratio!") The influences babies grow up with in the current state of the world shape them differently than 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. When you see what remains stable through all that time, you know you have something special or at least ingrained as something basic or fundamental. I'll never get Pokemon or trying to pretend life before the internet didn't exist, but whatever floats their boat. I've made my peace with that long ago.

I don't get it. What exactly am I "wrong" about? I simply posted numerous recent sales that empirically and emphatically answer the question about which book has more "value" on the open market...an AF 15, 4.0 or a TMNT 1, 9.6. The sales suggest that not only is an AF 15, 4.0 superior but so is a 3.5, and possibly even a 3.0. Even a 0.5 recently sold for just under $5k. The guy who got the AF 15 in this trade probably made more than three grand on the deal. And that's even with the underwhelming ninja turtles movie on the horizon propping up that book's value for now.

-J.

lol

I don't get it. What exactly am I "wrong" about? I simply posted numerous recent sales that empirically and emphatically answer the question about which book has more "value" on the open market...an AF 15, 4.0 or a TMNT 1, 9.6. The sales suggest that not only is an AF 15, 4.0 superior but so is a 3.5, and possibly even a 3.0. Even a 0.5 recently sold for just under $5k. The guy who got the AF 15 in this trade probably made more than three grand on the deal. And that's even with the underwhelming ninja turtles movie on the horizon propping up that book's value for now.

-J.

:gossip: The AF #15 in 0.5 actually sold for over 5K...if you include the shipping. :baiting:

I don't get it. What exactly am I "wrong" about?

-J.

My post was addressing the perception that TMNT were a fad AND that most people consider Copper Age the most reviled.

I don't care about the sale part - I said I'd love to have both books, and both parties got what they wanted and I didn't care to comment any further about that aspect.

Up until 2008 nobody gave a mess about Iron Man. He was upper B-list (think Daredevil, Dr Strange, etc..). Turtles were bigger than IM.
and yet iron man has consistenly had a comic produced monthly (even in 2006/7 it was near top 50), where as TMNT couldn't even muster the sales to maintain a monthly comic during most of the 2000's, right (does anyone really count that 23 issue image disaster? lol )

I thought that was due the creators (Eastman and Laird) not doing the book together anymore, at least not on a regular basis. I remember picking up an issue somewhere around 1994 and putting it back after the effort looked extremely lackluster. I mean when you're off working on international merchandising deals and giving your book away to guest creators, the consistency of the book isn't going to happen. It got even worse in 1996 when Image started publishing it (what an abortion that was). But apparently it is now at IDW (since 2011) with Eastman back on the book (not sure what Peter is doing.) I haven't picked up a copy of the current run to see if it feels like old school TMNT, which is what I liked about it in the first place.

I know the TMNT 1 CGC9.6 comes up rarely. If cash is an issue, the OP could wait till 1 comes up for sale on eBay and immediately list his AF15.

BOOM. AF15 sells, he transfers fund for the TMNT and pockets an extra $3k which he can then use to buy a 7.0 TMNT1 undercopy or something.

Is this still even debatable ?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121421-10029.s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-3-5-VG-OW-Pages-First-Appearance-Spider-Man-/221438929011?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338ec9e873

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Spider-Man-Marvel-Comics-CGC-4-0-Comic-Book-/360918612838?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item54086cfb66

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-3-5-OW-Origin-and-1st-Appearance-of-Spider-Man/281349123888?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D7375615002602499002%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D221438929011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-6-WHITE-Pgs-1st-Print-Rare-/310967439653?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48671a9125

-J.

Touche.

To further flog this dead horse...I know the TMNT 1 CGC9.6 comes up rarely. But If cash is an issue, the OP could wait till 1 comes up for sale on eBay and immediately list his AF15.

BOOM. AF15 sells, he transfers fund for the TMNT and pockets an extra $3k which he can then use to buy a 7.0 TMNT1 undercopy or something.

I know the TMNT 1 CGC9.6 comes up rarely. If cash is an issue, the OP could wait till 1 comes up for sale on eBay and immediately list his AF15.

Is this still even debatable ?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121421-10029.s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-3-5-VG-OW-Pages-First-Appearance-Spider-Man-/221438929011?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338ec9e873

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Spider-Man-Marvel-Comics-CGC-4-0-Comic-Book-/360918612838?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item54086cfb66

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-3-5-OW-Origin-and-1st-Appearance-of-Spider-Man/281349123888?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D7375615002602499002%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D221438929011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-6-WHITE-Pgs-1st-Print-Rare-/310967439653?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48671a9125

-J.

Touche.

To further flog this dead horse...I know the TMNT 1 CGC9.6 comes up rarely. But If cash is an issue, the OP could wait till 1 comes up for sale on eBay and immediately list his AF15.

Looks like even a 2.5 AF 15 can now best a 9.6 TMNT 1.... hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Good-Marvel-1962-1st-Spider-Man-C12-911-cm-/281354527370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418209628a

-J.

It seems like the AF 15 went up by thousands and the TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 stayed the same. Do people still think these books are comparable?

AF 15 4.0 is currently around $13k to $14k. There has not been a TMNT 1, 9.6 that has sold recently that I know of, but based on the recent significant increase in 9.8 value based on the 3 very strong 9.8 sales that have been going for 22-27k, I would put a TMNT 1 9.6 at around $12k. In 2015, AF 15 would have killed a TMNT 1 CGC 9.6, but the margin has closed this past year.

It seems like the AF 15 went up by thousands and the TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 stayed the same. Do people still think these books are comparable?

AF 15 4.0 is currently around $13k to $14k. There has not been a TMNT 1, 9.6 that has sold recently that I know of, but based on the recent significant increase in 9.8 value based on the 3 very strong 9.8 sales that have been going for 22-27k, I would put a TMNT 1 9.6 at around $12k. In 2015, AF 15 would have killed a TMNT 1 CGC 9.6, but the margin has closed this past year.

I think you estimation of TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6 is very high.

A 9.4 just sold in 2-16 for 5k so a CGC 9.6 is still in the 8k range.

When did a TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 sell for 27k? I saw a 22k sale but nothing close to 27k.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

This whole topic is laughable.....AF15 is KING and the 3rd most important comic book EVER made!! I like the TMNT since I grew up with them but they are no where near being in the league of AF15's.....not even close!! It is like comparing Babe Ruth with an almost no name (Semi good) player of his time or even of our time....it's called insanity!!

Hulk, Iron Man, Flash, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Thor, Ant-Man (TTA27), Justice League Of America (BB28), The Avengers and so on are way more in demand/popular than the TMNT!!

I would not trade any top 10 SA book for a TMNT #1....NEVER!!

In the end TMNT #1 is a cool book to own if you do not have to trade a more important book to own one. I hate putting TMNT #1 down like this because I like the book but when comparing it to AF15 or any other key SA book it simply makes no sens at all!!

Edited by Hulk1962