• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

@ Hulksdaddy1 - thanks man and you being 15 in 1983 is nothing to shed any spider tears over man it just proves how awesome this hobby really is doesn't it?!! it has no age limit...We can all appreciate it for what is...AWESOME!!! :headbang: just like the AF15 you got there (insert jealous look here) nice book man (thumbs u

and as I typed that up in the wee hours of the night on my phone I realized I didn't make my pick...+1 with GAMBIT...I want an AF15 badly!! I do see a lot of possible short term growth with the TMNT book though with new film...as previously stated only time will tell about the long term sustainability but with the low print run and the high grade I would think this book is pretty safe...I would still take the AF15 though but I also got the spider blood coursing through my veins when it comes to funny books so I am biased to say the least...

(thumbs u

Now, to the point, after reading your post (among others) I get the following feeling:

Owning an AF 15 is equal parts awesome and collective nostalgia (i.e. almost everyone on the boards would love to own such an important piece of heroic history). If you can own one, you should.

Owning a TMNT 1 first print is equal parts speculative investment opportunity and some disagreement on nostalgia (i.e. the number of boardies who connect with the turtles on a deeper level is smaller than that of Spidey himself). If you like the turtles and can own one, you should.

When you get into investment opportunity comparison, it is inextricably tied to relative nostalgia (i.e. personal opinion, or opinion combined with some level of understanding of current market penetration), so it really is hard to have an objective conversation or debate. Logically, both books will climb in value over time but really aren't comparable beyond that.

Soooooo…… Buy both!

(thumbs u

That's what I do'd

:D

@ Hulksdaddy1 - thanks man and you being 15 in 1983 is nothing to shed any spider tears over man it just proves how awesome this hobby really is doesn't it?!! it has no age limit...We can all appreciate it for what is...AWESOME!!! :headbang: just like the AF15 you got there (insert jealous look here) nice book man (thumbs u

and as I typed that up in the wee hours of the night on my phone I realized I didn't make my pick...+1 with GAMBIT...I want an AF15 badly!! I do see a lot of possible short term growth with the TMNT book though with new film...as previously stated only time will tell about the long term sustainability but with the low print run and the high grade I would think this book is pretty safe...I would still take the AF15 though but I also got the spider blood coursing through my veins when it comes to funny books so I am biased to say the least...

(thumbs u

Now, to the point, after reading your post (among others) I get the following feeling:

Owning an AF 15 is equal parts awesome and collective nostalgia (i.e. almost everyone on the boards would love to own such an important piece of heroic history). If you can own one, you should.

Owning a TMNT 1 first print is equal parts speculative investment opportunity and some disagreement on nostalgia (i.e. the number of boardies who connect with the turtles on a deeper level is smaller than that of Spidey himself). If you like the turtles and can own one, you should.

When you get into investment opportunity comparison, it is inextricably tied to relative nostalgia (i.e. personal opinion, or opinion combined with some level of understanding of current market penetration), so it really is hard to have an objective conversation or debate. Logically, both books will climb in value over time but really aren't comparable beyond that.

Soooooo…… Buy both!

(thumbs u

That's what I do'd

+1

We should start an AF 15 and TMNT 1 club!

You have to own both to join.

I don't follow the copper market but if the tmnt is an 8k book and a nice af15 in 4.0 is very much a 10k book (ive bought 2 this year for 10k, so i woukd argue it is really more like an 11k fmv book) then The person that got the af15 did 20-30% better.

The af15 trader must not be concerned about the money (what they own it at is not relevant. What each woukd sell for today/Current FMv/ replacement cost is what matters to most)

(thumbs u

Soooooo…… Buy both!

(thumbs u

That's what I do'd

+1

Can I be the first in the club?

(thumbs u

Soooooo…… Buy both!

(thumbs u

That's what I do'd

+1

Can I be the first in the club?

Yes.

Now start it. lol

I don't get it. Sure TMNT 1 is a major Copper/Bronze key (depending on where one defines the beginning/end of these ages) but is TMNT 1 the first appearance of the Turtles? I'm told Gobbledygook 1 is the Turtles first app. (despite my issues with this book). And the market supports Gobbledygook's place.

AF 15 is the 3rd major key of the 20th Century and Spidey's 1st appearance.

We are essentially comparing the first appearance of the Marvel and arguably comic book's greatest superhero to what amounts to the 2nd appearance of a group that appeals to a much smaller group of collectors.

Posterity is on Spidey's side and it follows that future markets will reflect this as 4.0s currently do.

Get both books nonetheless.

I don't get it. Sure TMNT 1 is a major Copper/Bronze key (depending on where one defines the beginning/end of these ages) but is TMNT 1 the first appearance of the Turtles? I'm told Gobbledygook 1 is the Turtles first app. (despite my issues with this book). And the market supports Gobbledygook's place.

AF 15 is the 3rd major key of the 20th Century and Spidey's 1st appearance.

We are essentially comparing the first appearance of the Marvel and arguably comic book's greatest superhero to what amounts to the 2nd appearance of a group that appeals to a much smaller group of collectors.

Posterity is on Spidey's side and it follows that future markets will reflect this as 4.0s currently do.

Get both books nonetheless.

Gobbledygook is not a comic book. Was never published, just a photocopy.

They're both 2 of the safest books in this hobby. Both are winners.

Af15 is relatively safe. Tmnt is anything but safe. In fact I would call it risky at near 5 fig levels (but then I would call any post 1975 book "risky" at those levels)

Af15 is relatively safe. Tmnt is anything but safe. In fact I would call it risky at near 5 fig levels (but then I would call any post 1975 book "risky" at those levels)

Out of curiosity, what makes 1975 special?

Nothing is "safe" when it comes to comics. Such a small segment want them, and I wouldn't think that segment is growing.

However, your statement reflects a belief that old is a huge factor in value. And yes, it is a factor. But it's not nearly as important as supply and demand. We know the supply of TMNT #1 is far, far less than any Spidey book, AF #15 included. The demand may not be the same NOW, however, TMNT have been around for 30 years now, constantly in the public eye, in one fashion or another. All those 8-to-whatever year olds that grew up with them are now at prime income age, and just like you(assuming), me and other older guys, nostalgia will drive them to what they loved when they were young. Heck, my 7 yr old and all his classmates love them.

I think TMNT #1 IS the AF #15 for the next generation.

IMHO, of course.

Nothing is "safe" when it comes to comics. Such a small segment want them, and I wouldn't think that segment is growing.

However, your statement reflects a belief that old is a huge factor in value. And yes, it is a factor. But it's not nearly as important as supply and demand. We know the supply of TMNT #1 is far, far less than any Spidey book, AF #15 included. The demand may not be the same NOW, however, TMNT have been around for 30 years now, constantly in the public eye, in one fashion or another. All those 8-to-whatever year olds that grew up with them are now at prime income age, and just like you(assuming), me and other older guys, nostalgia will drive them to what they loved when they were young. Heck, my 7 yr old and all his classmates love them.

IMHO, of course.

The flaw, as I see it, is that while the turtles have been around for 30 years, spider-man has been around for those same 30 years (and 20 more) and is infinitely more popular and in demand and with far greater exposure and support. To state tmnt #1 is going to be the equivalent to amazing fantasy 15 is, in my opinion, a flawed reach.

Today's income earning, former 7 and 8 year old products of the 80s overwhelming will continue to love and subsequently choose spider-man. Tmnt just doesn't translate as well, nor does it hold up when one compares the two.

Not that it is anything to particularly special but it is a date most folks use as the cut off for when comics stopped be "just for kids" and when folks started to collect and even hoard them. It is also when the cover price jumped a bit.

On avg most all comics from 1975 on have little to no value. They exist in quantities that exceed current demand and thus keep prices down.

IMHO, of course.

My comment has nothing to do with "old" but an arbitrary point (1975) in which I believe the supply of 99.9% of all produced comics to exceed demand and thus equating to little or no potential price growth.

Sure, there were only 3000 first prints of tmnt1 produced but there were many other printings produced and based on current sales numbers , my guess is supply exists in a quantity that largely meets demand (based on the numbers of folks still collecting tmnt). Spider-Man on he other hand is so universally accepted and loved and in demand that af15 will, for the foreseeable future continue to way outpace tmnt.

it's my opinion of course and I really don't feel like there's much risk in tnmt for the long run. There's such a big following for them and that print run is extremely small. Off the top of my head I wouldn't rather have any book printed after 1968 besides a tnmt 1 or maybe one of the big bronze 35c variants for the long run. Long run as in 10+ years. Otherwise I'd stay with the pre 1965 keys.

IMHO, of course.

The flaw, as I see it, is that while the turtles have been around for 30 years, spider-man has been around for those same 30 years (and 20 more) and is infinitely more popular and in demand and with far greater exposure and support. To state tmnt #1 is going to be the equivalent to amazing fantasy 15 is, in my opinion, a flawed reach.

Today's income earning, former 7 and 8 year old products of the 80s overwhelming will continue to love and subsequently choose spider-man. Tmnt just doesn't translate as well, nor does it hold up when one compares the two.

Reasonable extrapolation. Spider-Man is macro while tmnt is still micro. There is really nothing on any level that would make tmnt the "af15" of any generation (IMO)

IMHO, of course.

I see as many TMNT toys, backpacks, video games etc, in Toys 'R Us as Spidey. Maybe more.

TMNT has just as much TV presence.

Movies? Spidey wins, hands-down. But there is a TMNT movie coming(someone said maybe a trilogy?), so that race isn't over yet.

Look, Spidey is bigger, no arguing that. But, as you pointed out, Spidey had a 20 year head start. What was AF #15 selling for in 1992? I'm sure the same thing was said about Spidey compared to Batman and Superman.

Point is, and the future is unknown, is that the POTENTIAL is there. And we're seeing prices for #1 that state that many others believe as well.

Not that it is anything to particularly special but it is a date most folks use as the cut off for when comics stopped be "just for kids" and when folks started to collect and even hoard them. It is also when the cover price jumped a bit.

On avg most all comics from 1975 on have little to no value. They exist in quantities that exceed current demand and thus keep prices down.

Which makes TMNT the exception, and increase demand for it to the generation that grew up with them.