• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. All you have to do is look at the various auction results on heritage. Sure, you will see a lower grade sale at say $600 for example in 2006, maybe another book in the same grade sold for $1200 in 2012. But the sales prices in the 9.0+ grades have absolutely been flat and have even decreased over a 7 year period or so, with only a recent spike in prices that is due to this movie that is coming out. This data only proves the point. Yes there are more than 3000 turtle fans out there, but the vast, vast majority of them will be buying the action figures and lunch boxes, and the newer comic books to read and enjoy, not eight thousand dollar comic books. At those higher grades you are very obviously having speculator activity rolling the dice on the movie. The turtles aren't even as popular or as influential of a character as wolverine, iron man, or any first tier marvel character, none of those comparisons hold up. I would say to anyone buying a TMNT 1 now there is a far greater likelihood that the book will be worth less than it is now, in that 5-10 year window or perhaps the same, in a best case scenario. Meanwhile it would literally take an industry wide slump for me to say the same about an AF 15. In other words, TMNT 1 could decline in value and very few in the hobby would notice or care or even question why. It would simply be chalked up to the little mini speculative bubble it has been in the last several months bursting. TMNT 1 is certainly not the "must have" destination book to many collectors. But an across the board and sudden devaluation in AF 15's would create an industry wide panic and have a massive ripple effect. Macro vs micro.

-J.

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. All you have to do is look at the various auction results on heritage. Sure, you will see a lower grade sale at say $600 for example in 2006, maybe another book in the same grade sold for $1200 in 2012. But the sales prices in the 9.0+ grades have absolutely been flat and have even decreased over a 7 year period or so, with only a recent spike in prices that is due to this movie that is coming out. This data only proves the point. Yes there are more than 3000 turtle fans out there, but the vast, vast majority of them will be buying the action figures and lunch boxes, and the newer comic books to read and enjoy, not eight thousand dollar comic books. At those higher grades you are very obviously having speculator activity rolling the dice on the movie. The turtles aren't even as popular or as influential of a character as wolverine, iron man, or any first tier marvel character, none of those comparisons hold up. I would say to anyone buying a TMNT 1 now there is a far greater likelihood that the book will be worth less than it is now, in that 5-10 year window or perhaps the same, in a best case scenario. Meanwhile it would literally take an industry wide slump for me to say the same about an AF 15. In other words, TMNT 1 could decline in value and very few in the hobby would notice or care or even question why. It would simply be chalked up to the little mini speculative bubble it has been in the last several months bursting. TMNT 1 is certainly not the "must have" destination book to many collectors. But an across the board and sudden devaluation in AF 15's would create an industry wide panic and have a massive ripple effect. Macro vs micro.

-J.

Turtles will be fine. I'm confident in the long run for that book. I don't see it dropping, especially because of the very limited print run. It's safer than any bronze book except the SW 1 and IF 14 35c variants.

That TMNT have such staying power with the kids puts TMNT 1 on the map as a must have book over and above Turtle collectors. Art to believe that they have been going strong for 30 years and are as beloved by kids as ever.

I also agree that a clean but creased white page AF 15 is a lot more attractive than a chipped Cr to OW one or a 4.0 with a "small piece of tape" etc. So the book matters. Same with the TMNT 1 - if it even had one spine line or corner fleck, I'd pass on it as a soft 9.6

Ed

That TMNT have such staying power with the kids puts TMNT 1 on the map as a must have book over and above Turtle collectors. Art to believe that they have been going strong for 30 years and are as beloved by kids as ever.

I also agree that a clean but creased white page AF 15 is a lot more attractive than a chipped Cr to OW one or a 4.0 with a "small piece of tape" etc. So the book matters. Same with the TMNT 1 - if it even had one spine line or corner fleck, I'd pass on it as a soft 9.6

Ed

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are conveniently ignoring the informed statements of several of the dealers who have been posting on here. As for "true collectors" wanting the book, yeah I don't know about that either. I think it's more like a book most collectors in fact pass on, unless they do have some sort of nostalgic connection to the turtles. I honestly do not personally know of any collector that has that book on their must have list. Though I do know of many speculators who want it "now" so they can flip it and move on to the next hot property. However we are already seeing some price resistance in the upper grades, and I think the mere fact that a guy was willing to trade a nice looking AF 15 for one is more evidence that we are nearing the end of this little TMNT 1 cycle.

-J.

Ed

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are conveniently ignoring the informed statements of several of the dealers who have been posting on here. As for "true collectors" wanting the book, yeah I don't know about that either. I think it's more like a book most collectors in fact pass on, unless they do have some sort of nostalgic connection to the turtles. I honestly do not personally know of any collector that has that book on their must have list. Though I do know of many speculators who want it "now" so they can flip it and move on to the next hot property. However we are already seeing some price resistance in the upper grades, and I think the mere fact that a guy was willing to trade a nice looking AF 15 for one is more evidence that we are nearing the end of this little TMNT 1 cycle.

-J.

Either way, the price is close enough to each other that the trade isn't bad for either party. No doubt the AF 15 is the easier sale at any given time. And an argument can (and have been made) about volatility and price movement upwards due to movies, past price moves etc. But fundamentally the price is determined by popularity and these books have both in spades. Not only do the demographics support TMNT 1 with the "rule of 25 years" propping up the price for years to come, but current demographics support TMNT 1 as young pre teen boys love the turtles year in year out. BTW, there is no question the Spiderman has that support as well. And there is no doubt Spiderman is more popular than TMNT, or that AF 15 is more important than TMNT 1. But is it 4.0 > 9.6 more important? I suppose that's the rub. And I'd guess that 4.0 is about right for where the trade is basically a wash.

Where is it for you? coverless? 2.0? 3.5?

Either way its like the old Churchill quote about the Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

Just FYI for the discussion, today's GPA numbers:

Most recent sale of CGC 4.0 AF 15 was $7,887.

Most recent sale of CGC 9.6 TMNT 1 was $8,100.

Carry on.

Most recent sale is the most unreliable way to judge value of two comics. If this trade had happened October 13th of last year the numbers would have been:

Most recent sale of CGC 4.0 AF 15 was $11,500.

Most recent sale of CGC 9.6 TMNT 1 was $6,600.

Which is no better comparison of the relative values than your example today is. Much better to use 90 day and 1 year averages. Using them the TNMT is about a thousand less. That said if everyone is happy with the trade I see no problem with it. They are at least in the same ballpark of each other.

Carry on.

Most recent sale is the most unreliable way to judge value of two comics. If this trade had happened October 13th of last year the numbers would have been:

Which is no better comparison of the relative values than your example today is. Much better to use 90 day and 1 year averages. Using them the TNMT is about a thousand less. That said if everyone is happy with the trade I see no problem with it. They are at least in the same ballpark of each other.

Agreed, however it has been suggested that I left $2k to $3k on the table in the past week.

October 2013 isn't last week.

Let's review:

1) I'm not a dealer. As a collector, I need to either find my own buyer for a most-recently-sold-for-$9K book, or use consignment/auction.

I lose 10% when I sell through consignment or auction... so my $9,000 book is $8,100 net.

2) The book I wanted was consistently selling around $8,100.

Using the reality of my situation, it was $8,100 and $8,100.

The $9,000 book that I owned just sold at the same grade for $7,887.

If it had been my book, after commissions, I would have netted around $7,000.

I can't buy an $8,100 book with $7,000 cash.

A dealer may have been able to do better, but I don't see where I left that $2k to $3k.

Carry on.

Agreed, however it has been suggested that I left $2k to $3k on the table in the past week.

October 2013 isn't last week.

Let's review:

1) I'm not a dealer. As a collector, I need to either find my own buyer for a most-recently-sold-for-$9K book, or use consignment/auction.

I lose 10% when I sell through consignment or auction... so my $9,000 book is $8,100 net.

2) The book I wanted was consistently selling around $8,100.

Using the reality of my situation, it was $8,100 and $8,100.

The $9,000 book that I owned just sold at the same grade for $7,887.

If it had been my book, after commissions, I would have netted around $7,000.

I can't buy an $8,100 book with $7,000 cash.

A dealer may have been able to do better, but I don't see where I left that $2k to $3k.

You could have potentially sold me the af15 for 10k (I've bough 2 copies from boardies at this price) and then bought a tmnt for 8k ish (I don't know what SOT was asking, but I "assume" it was around that price) :)

there are several boardies that advertise they buy af15's...

my point was that your cost basis is not a true indicator on how good the deal was....your replacement cost is...

I've sold 2 cgc 4.0 for 11K this year...yes, there was a heritage copy that sold last night for under 8K, but did you see it (there is a reason not all books of the same grade sell for the same price)? and of course, that sale was not in gpa (I assume it is in gpa) when you did the deal...but several 10k-11K+ sales likely were (to clarify, I don't have gpa, but I follow the af15 market daily , and know what copy sells for what)...

you don't have to be a dealer to sell for FMV, these boards are a perfect example... though if an auction house was your only outlet, and you were not aware of the current FMV on a 4.0 (remember, gpa reports just a small piece of the sales pie), then your logic makes sense

that said, if you are happy with the purchase, cool, but since you solicited opinion, I gave mine (thumbs u

Carry on.

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

-J.

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

giphy.gif

-J.

-J.

So you are using Heritage instead of GPA?

Ok then by that logic I lost money then on my AF 15 4.0 cause the last sale was well under 8k just yesterday right? :eyeroll:

STOP comparing the books we established that logic days ago.

My disagreement with you is your logic on the long-term value of TMNT #1

Let me take you back to economic class then.......

Go to GPA and tell me what trend you see for this book in 7.5, 7.0 and 6.0 inthe past 10 years.

See the upward "blue chip" trend?......yes very good student.

BTW AF 15's prices just like Oil prices ($4.00 soon my middle class friends) are just as manipulated as everything else in the business market.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Ok then by that logic I lost money then on my AF 15 4.0 cause the last sale was well under 8k just yesterday right? :eyeroll:

Go to GPA and tell me what trend you see for this book in 7.5, 7.0 and 6.0 inthe past 10 years.

BTW AF 15's prices just like Oil prices ($4.00 soon my middle class friends) are just as manipulated as everything else in the business market.

SoT, come clean already. You're just pizzy b/c the Flyers goaltending still sux. :baiting:

:hi:

SoT, come clean already. You're just pizzy b/c the Flyers goaltending still sux. :baiting:

Big comeback win yesterday though. :whee:

I do not know what is worse the Flyers goal tending over my lifetime or Wall Street's epic POS oil traders. hm

If your Red Wings sneak into the playoffs then they will most likely play Bruins or Penguins which I can't believe I am saying this, but..........GO RED WINGS!

(Pretty cool to have Detroit in the east. East playoff match ups are looking even more intense for the foreseeable future!)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

-J.

-J.

Probably not the best example to use if you're trying to disprove this book is in a speculative bubble.

Take 6.0 - from 2004 to 2012 it sold for between $358 and $750. Last sale was $1,950 lol

Let's pretend you do...

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

This graph shows a small post 2008 dip. Everything dipped in '08. This isn't that big a dip either comparitive to everything else. This indicates it is holding it's value very well.

Big comeback win yesterday though. :whee:

I do not know what is worse the Flyers goal tending over my lifetime or Wall Street's epic POS oil traders. hm

If your Red Wings sneak into the playoffs then they will most likely play Bruins or Penguins which I can't believe I am saying this, but..........GO RED WINGS!

(Pretty cool to have Detroit in the east. East playoff match ups are looking even more intense for the foreseeable future!)

Did this topic just devolve into hockey discussion? (shrug)

Hockey is totally in a speculative bubble bloated by the winter olympics and Frozen winning an Oscar.