• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

They're both 2 of the safest books in this hobby. Both are winners.

Af15 is relatively safe. Tmnt is anything but safe. In fact I would call it risky at near 5 fig levels (but then I would call any post 1975 book "risky" at those levels)

Out of curiosity, what makes 1975 special?

Not that it is anything to particularly special but it is a date most folks use as the cut off for when comics stopped be "just for kids" and when folks started to collect and even hoard them. It is also when the cover price jumped a bit.

On avg most all comics from 1975 on have little to no value. They exist in quantities that exceed current demand and thus keep prices down.

I don't have to work because of post-1975 books. :whistle:

Yes most books from 1975 to now do not compare to years prior, but the fact of the matter is while Copper/Modern comic key issues supplies are high so too is the supply of buyers for them. (shrug)

If you saved a case of Man of Steel 18 or TT #44 your profit margin would be pretty good on just a couple years ago finding them in dollar bins and now selling for for $200--400 each in 9.8.

no argument there. There are likely hundreds of books like that , but it is still only a fraction of a % and it is still, IMO, foolish to pay $200 for a $1 bin book. But the market says differently so that is a part of the market I don't participate in as I believe it is a house of cards

Daredevil #1 was a dollar book before. (shrug)

Generation gaps happen.

I will always consider NM 98, TT #2 (1st Deathstroke), TTT #44 (1st Nightwing) to be $1.00 books because in the 90's they pretty much were. However I know that is my generation gap just as many SA fans growing up thought BA was all junk.

Now let me be clear I am not suggesting those copper books are in the same value range as DD #1, but they do all have importance and are 2014 relevant.

With the movies, video games, comics, and other marketing tools these $1.00 book characters are now keys whether we agree or not.

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. All you have to do is look at the various auction results on heritage. Sure, you will see a lower grade sale at say $600 for example in 2006, maybe another book in the same grade sold for $1200 in 2012. But the sales prices in the 9.0+ grades have absolutely been flat and have even decreased over a 7 year period or so, with only a recent spike in prices that is due to this movie that is coming out. This data only proves the point. Yes there are more than 3000 turtle fans out there, but the vast, vast majority of them will be buying the action figures and lunch boxes, and the newer comic books to read and enjoy, not eight thousand dollar comic books. At those higher grades you are very obviously having speculator activity rolling the dice on the movie. The turtles aren't even as popular or as influential of a character as wolverine, iron man, or any first tier marvel character, none of those comparisons hold up. I would say to anyone buying a TMNT 1 now there is a far greater likelihood that the book will be worth less than it is now, in that 5-10 year window or perhaps the same, in a best case scenario. Meanwhile it would literally take an industry wide slump for me to say the same about an AF 15. In other words, TMNT 1 could decline in value and very few in the hobby would notice or care or even question why. It would simply be chalked up to the little mini speculative bubble it has been in the last several months bursting. TMNT 1 is certainly not the "must have" destination book to many collectors. But an across the board and sudden devaluation in AF 15's would create an industry wide panic and have a massive ripple effect. Macro vs micro.

-J.

So you are using Heritage instead of GPA?

Ok then by that logic I lost money then on my AF 15 4.0 cause the last sale was well under 8k just yesterday right? :eyeroll:

STOP comparing the books we established that logic days ago.

My disagreement with you is your logic on the long-term value of TMNT #1

Let me take you back to economic class then.......

Go to GPA and tell me what trend you see for this book in 7.5, 7.0 and 6.0 inthe past 10 years.

See the upward "blue chip" trend?......yes very good student.

BTW AF 15's prices just like Oil prices ($4.00 soon my middle class friends) are just as manipulated as everything else in the business market.

Probably not the best example to use if you're trying to disprove this book is in a speculative bubble.

Take 6.0 - from 2004 to 2012 it sold for between $358 and $750. Last sale was $1,950 lol

Actually no you are helping my point.

Thank you for posting a little GPA info. ;)

When a 6.0 sells for less than 1k send me a PM k?

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

Um....you did actually look at and properly interpret the graph you just posted right? Because what I see is a consistent decline from 2008-2012 with a spike in 2013 correlating with the movie announcement. In other words, exactly what I (and the dealers on this board) have been trying to explain to you. Gator is a dealer who SPECIALIZES in AF 15s, he knows what they're worth and if he has publicly said he pays 10k for well presenting AF 15 4.0's and flips them for $11k, then that should tell you all you need to know about the value of nice ones in that grade.

Like I said, you've made the trade what's done is done there's no reason to look back and second guess and seek validation with a poll like this if you really are happy with it. Guys over pay all the time and leave money on the table all the time in a trade to get a book they really want. But if you're going to run a poll like the one you did, and with a book like AF 15 involved, you shouldn't be surprised if the vast, vast majority of the responses run counter to what you ultimately decided to do.

-J.

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. All you have to do is look at the various auction results on heritage. Sure, you will see a lower grade sale at say $600 for example in 2006, maybe another book in the same grade sold for $1200 in 2012. But the sales prices in the 9.0+ grades have absolutely been flat and have even decreased over a 7 year period or so, with only a recent spike in prices that is due to this movie that is coming out. This data only proves the point. Yes there are more than 3000 turtle fans out there, but the vast, vast majority of them will be buying the action figures and lunch boxes, and the newer comic books to read and enjoy, not eight thousand dollar comic books. At those higher grades you are very obviously having speculator activity rolling the dice on the movie. The turtles aren't even as popular or as influential of a character as wolverine, iron man, or any first tier marvel character, none of those comparisons hold up. I would say to anyone buying a TMNT 1 now there is a far greater likelihood that the book will be worth less than it is now, in that 5-10 year window or perhaps the same, in a best case scenario. Meanwhile it would literally take an industry wide slump for me to say the same about an AF 15. In other words, TMNT 1 could decline in value and very few in the hobby would notice or care or even question why. It would simply be chalked up to the little mini speculative bubble it has been in the last several months bursting. TMNT 1 is certainly not the "must have" destination book to many collectors. But an across the board and sudden devaluation in AF 15's would create an industry wide panic and have a massive ripple effect. Macro vs micro.

-J.

Ok then by that logic I lost money then on my AF 15 4.0 cause the last sale was well under 8k just yesterday right? :eyeroll:

Go to GPA and tell me what trend you see for this book in 7.5, 7.0 and 6.0 inthe past 10 years.

BTW AF 15's prices just like Oil prices ($4.00 soon my middle class friends) are just as manipulated as everything else in the business market.

Probably not the best example to use if you're trying to disprove this book is in a speculative bubble.

Take 6.0 - from 2004 to 2012 it sold for between $358 and $750. Last sale was $1,950 lol

Right. Temporary movie hype bump. See my post above.

-J.

-J.

the beautiful thing about opinions is that they don't always have to be right. That said, I believe there is a real possibility that 5-10 years from now folks "holding" a tmnt could be facing lower prices than today. Where as I believe folks holding an af15 will likely see price growth. I believe this to the point that I don't actively buy and sell tmnt 1 but feel I am missing the boat if I don't have a dozen af15s in stock at all times. Just my 2c

Rick for sure I think most people agree having the 3rd most important comic book of all time is better than having the same number of TMNT #1's. I would never disagree with that ever.

Every age since the GA/SA has had a decreased amount of ground breaking important keys. The BA has it's fair share of junk and then of course 1980 to now the pickings are slim on keys, but just because they did not originate from the GA/SA/BA doesn't mean they are not as important. Issues such as ASM 300, DD 168, or NM 98 may not sell monetarily as much but are still consistent blue chip copper keys none the less that have an upward trend in this hobby.

Now if you consider TMNT #1 to be a bubble book or have a downward trend that is fine, but I just don't see that happening on 9.4's and below. 9.8 for sure is volatile, but even in 9.6 I just see the up arrow over the long-run. No evidence to make me feel otherwise.

TMNT #1 has a big fan base and there are not enough 1st prints to go around IMO anyway. (shrug)

SoT, come clean already. You're just pizzy b/c the Flyers goaltending still sux. :baiting:

:hi:

Big comeback win yesterday though. :whee:

I do not know what is worse the Flyers goal tending over my lifetime or Wall Street's epic POS oil traders. hm

If your Red Wings sneak into the playoffs then they will most likely play Bruins or Penguins which I can't believe I am saying this, but..........GO RED WINGS!

(Pretty cool to have Detroit in the east. East playoff match ups are looking even more intense for the foreseeable future!)

Did this topic just devolve into hockey discussion? (shrug)

Hockey is totally in a speculative bubble bloated by the winter olympics and Frozen winning an Oscar.

relevant

tmntdevils.jpg

-J.

-J.

Right. Temporary movie hype bump. See my post above.

-J.

I can say the same thing about AF 15's.

Without 6 movies do you think AF 15's would have reached such heights?

The two biggest factors leading to AF 15's skyrocketing.......

1. 6 Movies and counting (mixed with video games and other marketing products)

2. Metro's private $1.1 million dollar sale of AF 15 CGC 9.6 butt hurt us all

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

Um....you did actually look at and properly interpret the graph you just posted right? Because what I see is a consistent decline from 2008-2012 with a spike in 2013 correlating with the movie announcement. In other words, exactly what I (and the dealers on this board) have been trying to explain to you.

What you see is four sales in six years.

Less than one sale per year.

That's not a consistent decline.

It's not even a statistically valid sample size.

TMNT #1 is poised to break out... somewhere around its 30th birthday.

I wonder when that will be.

On the other hand... if there was a bubble in something, it might look like this:

cgc40af15trend.jpg

I think the AF #15 bubble is about to burst now that we have Smurf Electro, Hobbit Green Goblin, and Gundam Rhino.

Nah, I am excited for the new movie.

As I said before this is not Amazing Spider-man it is Ultimate Spider-man, but AF 15 get the increase in value rather than Ultimate Spider-man #1 (any of the covers).

If AF 15 has a downward trend than the hobby as a whole is done, but I believe more the major keys only have a chance of going down is if America collapses.

These characters are American folklore, so IMO Jack Kirby, Romita, Sternako, and so on are so important to American culture it is a disgrace schools do not have them on US history books. :preach:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I think the AF #15 bubble is about to burst now that we have Smurf Electro, Hobbit Green Goblin, and Gundam Rhino.

Nah, I am excited for the new movie.

As I said before this is not Amazing Spider-man it is Ultimate Spider-man, but AF 15 get the increase in value rather than Ultimate Spider-man #1 (any of the covers).

If AF 15 has a downward trend than the hobby as a whole is done, but I believe more the major keys only have a chance of going down is if America collapses.

These characters are American folklore, so IMO Jack Kirby, Romita, Sternako, and so on are so important to American culture it is a disgrace schools do not have them on US history books. :preach:

:jokealert:

lol

I'm looking forward to the movie as well, though I am a little worried about the portrayals.

And "funny books" will never get the respect they deserve from the people at large. Most think all these $B franchises popped into existence from nowhere.

-J.

the beautiful thing about opinions is that they don't always have to be right. That said, I believe there is a real possibility that 5-10 years from now folks "holding" a tmnt could be facing lower prices than today. Where as I believe folks holding an af15 will likely see price growth. I believe this to the point that I don't actively buy and sell tmnt 1 but feel I am missing the boat if I don't have a dozen af15s in stock at all times. Just my 2c

Rick for sure I think most people agree having the 3rd most important comic book of all time is better than having the same number of TMNT #1's. I would never disagree with that ever.

Every age since the GA/SA has had a decreased amount of ground breaking important keys. The BA has it's fair share of junk and then of course 1980 to now the pickings are slim on keys, but just because they did not originate from the GA/SA/BA doesn't mean they are not as important. Issues such as ASM 300, DD 168, or NM 98 may not sell monetarily as much but are still consistent blue chip copper keys none the less that have an upward trend in this hobby.

Now if you consider TMNT #1 to be a bubble book or have a downward trend that is fine, but I just don't see that happening on 9.4's and below. 9.8 for sure is volatile, but even in 9.6 I just see the up arrow over the long-run. No evidence to make me feel otherwise.

TMNT #1 has a big fan base and there are not enough 1st prints to go around IMO anyway. (shrug)

As I told Greg via pm I don't follow the post 1975 market. I am not a fan of tmnt. Never have been, never will... Not my thing

My opinion is that I won't buy a tmnt at 8k expecting to make a profit. Not saying one can't and one doesn't, but I don't believe in it enough to "risk" my money

I will buy an af15 for an amount I feel is FMv or less, knowing that in over 25 years of buying and selling them, I have never lost money on a copy. I can't confidently say that about tmnt 1 and therefore I feel it is a great book if you are a fan, but a bad "investment" book. But that's just my opinion (thumbs u

I don't think it's movie hype that we're seeing in relation to recent interest in TMNT 1. I think what we're seeing is the beginnings of that magic combination, i.e., the kids that grew up with TMNT in the 90's just starting to hit the age where nostalgia meets incomes/earnings that can afford and will drive prices up on high $$ books. I think we're just now seeing the tip of the iceburg for TMNT 1 value.

Edited by Mr Pristine

I don't think it's movie hype that we're seeing in relation to recent interest in TMNT 1. I think what we're seeing is the beginnings of that magic combination, i.e., the kids that grew up with TMNT in the 90's hitting the age where nostalgia meets incomes/earnings that can afford and will drive prices up on high $$ books. I think we're just now seeing the tip of the iceburg for TMNT 1 value.

I am just more in the middle of what you posted and the opposite.

I do not think TMNT #1 will explode, but I do not think it is a bubble book either.

Steady normal blue chip growth is what I expect, and again more so from CGC 9.4 and below grades.

As I told Greg via pm I don't follow the post 1975 market. I am not a can of tmnt. Never have been, never will... Not my thing

If you were, we'd have to open up that can of TMNT whoopass.

:grin:

But seriously, there are exactly TWO key books for someone like me (age 37, good-but-not-great disposable income) to dabble with high-risk-high-reward around $10K.

TMNT #1

Hulk #181

Both of these books can currently be purchased for under $10K in high grade (9.6 or better).

Both of these books are recognized as THE book to own for the character(s).

Hulk #181 is plentiful... not a problem to locate in high grade... not a month goes by without sales at 9.6+.

TMNT #1 is not plentiful... not always easy to locate in high grade... some years go by without sales.

If I try to think of another key book that can be purchased in high grade for under $10K, I don't come anywhere near the popularity of Wolverine or TMNT.

The "big 3" are definitely Action #1, Detective #27, and AF #15... but those can't be touched in high grade under $100K.

The "new 2" are Hulk #181 and TMNT #1. They can currently be bought in high grade for ten times less.

I believe, in time, those books are now 40 and 30, respectively... the gap will close.

Thank you, and good night. Stay classy. lol

Actually I would consider Hulk 181 closer to importance with AF 15 than TMNT #1 to be honest strictly on pop culture importance.

I honestly would not put TMNT #1 in top 50 books of all time to be clear, but I do defend it as every much a mega key comic book as anyone can see by my posts.

Just curious would anyone agree with this order of importance measured in pop-culture as of today's date.

1. Action Comics #1

2. TEC 27

3. AF 15

4 Hulk 181

I just cant think of any other comic book that is more important in 4th place in terms of popularity of the character than Wolverine after AF 15.

What do you guys have at #4?

BTW I am not saying personal preferences but a non-biased realistic list.