• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

I'm still waiting to see these threatening PMs.

I think take I'll take the high road Chump, er... Chumplestilsken.

Just to be clear, did you just call me a Chump, tough guy?

Internet tough guys are the best.

You 2 are being negative ! who cares about people playing with their own books. It seems like you guys are trying to start a fight. Plus you never answered is KOR a good presser.

I am pretty sure that no matter who presses books Matt nelson and joey will always be 2 of the best at it ! They probably read these type threads and laugh at some of the methods. They obviously have there crafts down and down to do super high volume. I am sure that there is a lot to doing pressing in volume.

they should just write a book and get paid !

I find all of this very informative. I buy tons of books and many times they come with problems much like those pictured. I think its safe to say I have at least 2 short boxes and probably close to 3 with these kind of imperfections and I never offer them for sale because I don't want to deal with the old "you advertised near mint and this is not a 9.8. " comments and headaches. I don't have the patience to deal with it.

I don't see the risks that people keep mentioning because a) the books are modern and b) they have no value to me in anything less than near perfect condition. If we were discussing FF #48 or IH #181, my thoughts on this would be vastly different.

I appreciate the conversation and want to read and see more.

My father was a plumber for 50 years and always said that people who used the "Time / Life fix-it-yourself books" then had to call him afterwards essentially paid for his Corvette and his Harley

:roflmao:

I remember those commercials

I find all of this very informative. I buy tons of books and many times they come with problems huts like those pictured. I think its safe to say I have at least 2 short boxes and probably close to 3 with these kind of imperfections and I never offer them for sale because I don't want to deal with the old "you advertised near mint and this is not a 9.8. " comments and headaches. I don't have the patience to deal with it.

I don't see the risks that people keep mentioning because a) the books are modern and b) they have no value to me in anything less than near perfect condition. If we were discussing FF #48 or IH #181, my thoughts on this would be vastly different.

From what I'm hearing, moderns in this condition are easiest to press.

They use the least heat & time.

They are also very forgiving.

Earlier in the thread I screwed up a FF #1 with an interior support.

I just repressed it with out & its a gem.

Fun stuff.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

book with supports ( changed emup: Used non coated thick paper )

silicon

thin flatboard

I just pressed 170 degrees for 40 seconds with cover up.

Then 40 seconds cover down.

15 minute cool down in press.

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Larry, those books looks great (thumbs u , the BW & the FF, compared to what they were before the pressing. I have a friend who runs a t-shirt business and has a very expensive pressing machine, he always offered up the use of his equipment (yeah, sounds gross I know) if I wanted to try to press some books. Now that I have a better idea of temperature and time, especially the cooling period, I'll give it a shot with some junk books first

What do you mean they look great??? Do you see the staple at the bottom of the book? Before pressing there is no wear there, now the damn staple has impacted the book and broken colour.

Jim

I find all of this very informative. I buy tons of books and many times they come with problems huts like those pictured. I think its safe to say I have at least 2 short boxes and probably close to 3 with these kind of imperfections and I never offer them for sale because I don't want to deal with the old "you advertised near mint and this is not a 9.8. " comments and headaches. I don't have the patience to deal with it.

From what I'm hearing, moderns in this condition are easiest to press.

They use the least heat & time.

They are also very forgiving.

Earlier in the thread I screwed up a FF #1 with an interior support.

I just repressed it with out & its a gem.

Fun stuff.

Without the interior support, was there any staple indents inside?

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Larry, those books looks great (thumbs u , the BW & the FF, compared to what they were before the pressing. I have a friend who runs a t-shirt business and has a very expensive pressing machine, he always offered up the use of his equipment (yeah, sounds gross I know) if I wanted to try to press some books. Now that I have a better idea of temperature and time, especially the cooling period, I'll give it a shot with some junk books first

What do you mean they look great??? Do you see the staple at the bottom of the book? Before pressing there is no wear there, now the damn staple has impacted the book and broken colour.

Jim

The pic on the right looks significantly better to me but I see a slight color difference. I wouldn't even buy the book on the left if I saw it on the shelf. I'm sure this will get better with practice.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

Not to be labeled as an instigator, the defects Larry is taking out of these books can be done without a press.

You 2 are being negative ! who cares about people playing with their own books. It seems like you guys are trying to start a fight. Plus you never answered is KOR a good presser.

I am pretty sure that no matter who presses books Matt nelson and joey will always be 2 of the best at it ! They probably read these type threads and laugh at some of the methods. They obviously have there crafts down and down to do super high volume. I am sure that there is a lot to doing pressing in volume.

Maybe you can advance them a couple of million to write the book.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

You know better than me Jim, but there was NO color break.

At all...

I-phone picture is all...

Hmmmm. got me thinking though. I am going to try a press with an interior support at the staple page.

Sweetie...

Keep the crits coming.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

Not to be labeled as an instigator, the defects Larry is taking out of these books can be done without a press.

I think your very respected around here Joey ! your one of the best at this pressing thing.

Blow dryer?

Tacking iron

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

You know better than me Jim, buy there was NO color break.

At all...

I-phone picture is all...

Looks more like the light reflecting off a slightly raised area.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

I have friends that use a tacking iron on these defects...

I'm looking to develop "The Short Bus Method" of pressing.

www.CreateSpace.com

www.CreateSpace.com

+1

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

Don't even need an iron. My "short bus" technique is so short it is basically a wheel.

My press sandwich:

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone paper

silicon

thin flatboard

aL9u9GBl.jpg

Jim

Don't even need an iron. My "short bus" technique is so short it is basically a wheel.

tease