• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stubborn eBay Sellers...what's their game plan?

288 posts in this topic

:applause:

It seems like people should stop posting about sellers' prices when they really know nothing about what type of business practices a seller is employing. Never assume you really know what exactly is going on. ;)

You mean like cheating the system (Ebay's)? lol

I guess people are willing to take risks when they buy. I know that's not me; even at shows, if a book has a price that's too high on it, I wont even bother talking to you to see if there is any wiggle room; it's not worth the effort or time. In fact, if most sellers could just be a kiosk so I don't have to interact with anyone, that would be MUCH preferable.. List it for a reasonable price, I'll pay it no questions asked, no haggling, no hassles. There are just too many other places to get something I might want to have to deal with any back and forth or meaningless polite conversation to get you down to a price that's fair.

Ditto on Ebay. If I have to interact with you, you've lost my business.

Well I think your going to miss some good deals then ! all guys set a higher price looking to haggle. even at cons ! its expected. Another reason guys set a higher price with "buy it nows" is because they don't want to get burned if a book gets hot while they are sleeping !. Divads price on the rocket book is normal ! That is not even close to one of the crazy ones !

!

I apologize for the long post, but I felt that all of this was necessary. Go ahead and skip it if your attention span is that of a 5 year old's.

I have read this last post 4 times, and still can't figure out how you can't know what Branget is asking.

:eek:

-slym

It was confusing because Branget himself thought it was a good deal:

For the record if Rocket Racoon sells for $250 in 9.8 then I am considering buying Divad's book. :)

So did this person:

I was considering it as well, I bought a bunch of books earlier this year from him and the grading was dead on. If he says it's a 9.8, then it's a 9.8.

Boboset also reasoned that it was reasonably priced and that it would be profitable for a reseller to buy it.

So as I said, people are making the case for that book but nobody is buying. I guess they are just waiting to snipe it at the end?

The confusing part is how my comment and the comment that followed was interpreted by you. Also it seems to only take a couple comments to become "quite a few". lol

Seems to be quite a few people saying that Rocket Raccoon book is a steal at that price and yet nobody is buying it.

Really? Where?

where what?

Slym was pointing out your leap in language as he does so well.

I "considered" followed by someone commenting that it was "reasonably priced" became "a steal" in your mind. If it was a steal it would be sold. It is priced that I would consider it. :makepoint:

The real confusion presents itself In statements like,

"For the record if Rocket Racoon sells for $250 in 9.8 then I am considering buying Divad's book."

The problem is that If you were to do a quick ebay search, you would see that the average is closer to $150 for the 9.8's, not to mention that the last auction ended with a whopping winning bid of $77. As far as I can see, there are only two 9.8s that actually sold for $250. Keep in mind that they were both BIN, and one of those was a SS.

"I was considering it as well, I bought a bunch of books earlier this year from him and the grading was dead on. If he says it's a 9.8, then it's a 9.8."

I'm completely stupefied with this statement, as you make it sound like divad's grading skills are impervious. You basically said whatever grade divad assigns to a book, that's the grade it is. Not even CGC graders are capable of being 100% correct, yet you boldly state that if divad says a book is a certain grade, then it is that certain grade. doh!

"Exactly. If Divad says it's a 9.8 and the price is less than a graded 9.8 minus fees then it's money in the bank."

Money in who's bank? Divad's bank? Because that's exactly where it will end up If someone purchases this book from him.

Rocket Raccoon 1 CGC 9.8 sells in ebay auctions for $77 to $200, and $50 below for raw high grades, while divad has been trying to sell his raw copy since February with an opening bid of $100, or a BIN for $130. Big surprise, the book doesn't sell, and so he re-lists it, and lowers the opening bid by $10 . Now what's the reasoning behind the price drop? hm

All the while, you have people making absurd statements about how "reasonably priced" the book is, and how they are "considering" buying it (and never do). And in darkstar's defense, I got the impression that his "leap in language" was only an exaggeration. He makes the beautiful point that it's not just the people slamming this book who aren't buying it, but it's also the people who are talking it up. How much clearer does this picture need to be?!

And as for you, Boboset, allow me to address your comment that I somehow missed...

"Hopefully your dislike of Divad has clouded your judgement because from where I'm standing, you either have no idea about the market you play in or you're a perpetual low baller who offers a sliver of FMV in hopes of finding a "sucker".

I'm neither of those. I know enough about the game to not drop $100 on a self proclaimed 9.8 RR1 when I can find another high grade copy for half that price. I also know that I can purchase a RR1 CGC 9.8 for around $150, instead of purchasing a raw "9.8" from divad, and submitting it in hopes that it doesn't come back a 9.6. I'm not a low baller either. Someone listed an X-Men 1 for $675 last night in the sales thread and I offered him $650. If you call that low balling, then perhaps you should reevaluate your own buying and selling techniques before you criticize mine.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even made a fuss about divad in the first place had he not mistaken me for for a fool and tried to pawn his overpriced book on to me. If his intentions were to cut me a deal, his attempt was patheticly executed, and first impressions speak volumes when it comes to selling comic books, especially on here. Sl4ppy said it perfectly, "if a book has a price that's too high on it, I wont even bother talking to you to see if there is any wiggle room". That's some sound advice everyone should take into consideration the next time they try to gouge someone's wallet.

Now, I'll present a challenge for anyone who is contending against me. If you want to win this debate and prove that divad is not overcharging for his RR1, then find 5 other ebay auctions (not BIN) for high grade raw copies that have sold within the last 2 months for the same "normal" price divad is charging for his. If you succeed, I will proudly apologize to divad, and walk away in defeat. This shouldn't be too hard. After all, divads copy is "reasonably priced".

And In case you missed it, divad already admitted to fishing...

Darkowl: Looks like he's still fishing for a sucker...

Divad: by "sucker" if you mean a buyer, yes.

That's some hot noob-on-noob action right there.

:popcorn:

I suppose. It's more like a car wreck where you can't look away but you can see who is at fault. :screwy:

I apologize for the long post, but I felt that all of this was necessary. Go ahead and skip it if your attention span is that of a 5 year old's.

I have read this last post 4 times, and still can't figure out how you can't know what Branget is asking.

:eek:

-slym

It was confusing because Branget himself thought it was a good deal:

For the record if Rocket Racoon sells for $250 in 9.8 then I am considering buying Divad's book. :)

So did this person:

I was considering it as well, I bought a bunch of books earlier this year from him and the grading was dead on. If he says it's a 9.8, then it's a 9.8.

Boboset also reasoned that it was reasonably priced and that it would be profitable for a reseller to buy it.

So as I said, people are making the case for that book but nobody is buying. I guess they are just waiting to snipe it at the end?

The confusing part is how my comment and the comment that followed was interpreted by you. Also it seems to only take a couple comments to become "quite a few". lol

Seems to be quite a few people saying that Rocket Raccoon book is a steal at that price and yet nobody is buying it.

Really? Where?

where what?

Slym was pointing out your leap in language as he does so well.

I "considered" followed by someone commenting that it was "reasonably priced" became "a steal" in your mind. If it was a steal it would be sold. It is priced that I would consider it. :makepoint:

The real confusion presents itself In statements like,

"For the record if Rocket Racoon sells for $250 in 9.8 then I am considering buying Divad's book."

The problem is that If you were to do a quick ebay search, you would see that the average is closer to $150 for the 9.8's, not to mention that the last auction ended with a whopping winning bid of $77. As far as I can see, there are only two 9.8s that actually sold for $250. Keep in mind that they were both BIN, and one of those was a SS.

"I was considering it as well, I bought a bunch of books earlier this year from him and the grading was dead on. If he says it's a 9.8, then it's a 9.8."

I'm completely stupefied with this statement, as you make it sound like divad's grading skills are impervious. You basically said whatever grade divad assigns to a book, that's the grade it is. Not even CGC graders are capable of being 100% correct, yet you boldly state that if divad says a book is a certain grade, then it is that certain grade. doh!

"Exactly. If Divad says it's a 9.8 and the price is less than a graded 9.8 minus fees then it's money in the bank."

Money in who's bank? Divad's bank? Because that's exactly where it will end up If someone purchases this book from him.

Rocket Raccoon 1 CGC 9.8 sells in ebay auctions for $77 to $200, and $50 below for raw high grades, while divad has been trying to sell his raw copy since February with an opening bid of $100, or a BIN for $130. Big surprise, the book doesn't sell, and so he re-lists it, and lowers the opening bid by $10 . Now what's the reasoning behind the price drop? hm

All the while, you have people making absurd statements about how "reasonably priced" the book is, and how they are "considering" buying it (and never do). And in darkstar's defense, I got the impression that his "leap in language" was only an exaggeration. He makes the beautiful point that it's not just the people slamming this book who aren't buying it, but it's also the people who are talking it up. How much clearer does this picture need to be?!

And as for you, Boboset, allow me to address your comment that I somehow missed...

"Hopefully your dislike of Divad has clouded your judgement because from where I'm standing, you either have no idea about the market you play in or you're a perpetual low baller who offers a sliver of FMV in hopes of finding a "sucker".

I'm neither of those. I know enough about the game to not drop $100 on a self proclaimed 9.8 RR1 when I can find another high grade copy for half that price. I also know that I can purchase a RR1 CGC 9.8 for around $150, instead of purchasing a raw "9.8" from divad, and submitting it in hopes that it doesn't come back a 9.6. I'm not a low baller either. Someone listed an X-Men 1 for $675 last night in the sales thread and I offered him $650. If you call that low balling, then perhaps you should reevaluate your own buying and selling techniques before you criticize mine.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even made a fuss about divad in the first place had he not mistaken me for for a fool and tried to pawn his overpriced book on to me. If his intentions were to cut me a deal, his attempt was patheticly executed, and first impressions speak volumes when it comes to selling comic books, especially on here. Sl4ppy said it perfectly, "if a book has a price that's too high on it, I wont even bother talking to you to see if there is any wiggle room". That's some sound advice everyone should take into consideration the next time they try to gouge someone's wallet.

Now, I'll present a challenge for anyone who is contending against me. If you want to win this debate and prove that divad is not overcharging for his RR1, then find 5 other ebay auctions (not BIN) for high grade raw copies that have sold within the last 2 months for the same "normal" price divad is charging for his. If you succeed, I will proudly apologize to divad, and walk away in defeat. This shouldn't be too hard. After all, divads copy is "reasonably priced".

And In case you missed it, divad already admitted to fishing...

Darkowl: Looks like he's still fishing for a sucker...

Divad: by "sucker" if you mean a buyer, yes.

This is hilarious for so many reasons. lol

Yes, Darkstar was exaggerating but was confused when it was pointed out to him.

You may have noticed the word "if" in my statement. Don't let the technicalities get in your way. ;)

Just because I can make money on a book does not mean I will buy it. There are thousands and thousands of listings where I could make money so I have the option to choose. I am not interested in Rocket Racoon.

"Money in the bank" was simply a vote of confidence. It was not literal. You are correct that nobody can call a CGC grade until CGC slaps it in hard plastic with the little number in the corner. If you buy so much there must be sellers you have found to be more likely than others to have CGC agree with them. It really depends what your goal is.

i feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person passing on rocket racoon 1 in a dollar box like 6 months ago when the hulk issue and the magazine were hot. i figured it was like the 3rd or 4th appearance, why would anyone care? the 3rd or 4th appearance of some real established characters aren't really worth any sort of premium.

Oh, for the love of God.... Will somebody with an extra C-Note buy this friggin' book already.

The book has sold. :grin:

I honestly can't believe how much time some of you have on your hands . . . :whistle:

This is hilarious for so many reasons. lol

Yes, Darkstar was exaggerating but was confused when it was pointed out to him.

You may have noticed the word "if" in my statement. Don't let the technicalities get in your way. ;)

Just because I can make money on a book does not mean I will buy it. There are thousands and thousands of listings where I could make money so I have the option to choose. I am not interested in Rocket Racoon.

"Money in the bank" was simply a vote of confidence. It was not literal. You are correct that nobody can call a CGC grade until CGC slaps it in hard plastic with the little number in the corner. If you buy so much there must be sellers you have found to be more likely than others to have CGC agree with them. It really depends what your goal is.

This. (thumbs u You can't buy them all.

Simply2flyspeck was trying to tell another board member something obvious about ebay. that is a noob move. i made no noob moves here. therefore i hurled the noob epithet and i think it was warranted on that basis. noob can be a state of mind more than a registration date. someone who registered 5 years ago that made 3 posts and doesnt keep up with things i would call a 'noob'.