• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I would have resubbed it. I might even have flown down and walked a bunch through. I've bought purple books, had the color touch removed, and resubbed for blue (even when it's been a bit of a coin toss).

yup, and DOUBLY true when the book untouched was ALREADY blue before the seller resubbed and took the "purple" hit

I'll say it again, since so many people are crying conspiracy by the resubber.

1.) you pay thousands for a purple book, you are going to find out its history

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

-nothing weird about it all

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

I would resub. 3% FMV grading fee on a plod jim 83 7.0 is about $100 versus a potential doubling in price from 2800k for a plod to nearly 6k for a universal. So it would be worth the risk for me. Especially if i knew it had been a universal before...

Even if dude told you about the 'consensus'?

The sad thing is that this incident doesn't change my feelings towards CGC one iota.

I have as much faith in them as I have had for several years now. Which is to say, none. Five years ago, this would have surprised, even shocked me. No longer.

What will be shocking is if this thread matters one whit six or so months from now. A bit of damage-control, a little logic-gymnastics, and life will go on.

After all is calm and forgotten this thread can be scrubbed from existence like Ewert threads, Manufactured Gold, and all the other temporary irritant threads that went *poof*.

You can say it a third time if you wish. I will still disagree with it, especially if it turns out the new owner is a high volume submitter.

It will be equally true, regardless of whether i say it 3 times, or never. I am not disputing the high volume submitter.

That would be cumulative failings, they are not mutually exclusive. aka, all of the above

As before....

It's not about making mistakes.

It's about how you respond to the mistakes you make.

exactly this

And they have not had a chance to do this yet. I would imagine with everyone traveling back from Seattle they will answer no sooner than Tuesday.

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

I would resub. 3% FMV grading fee on a plod jim 83 7.0 is about $100 versus a potential doubling in price from 2800k for a plod to nearly 6k for a universal. So it would be worth the risk for me. Especially if i knew it had been a universal before...

Yeah it is only ~$100 bucks for a potential 3k gain, and I know of several "trimmed" books that have changed label colors.

Who cares why the new owner resubbed the book??? Seriously. Maybe he's a friend of SD and wanted to see if CGC would grade it restored. It doesn't matter. So what if they did. CGC should have graded it correctly. Period. 2c

As was said before: It would be interesting if the new owner is a high volume submitter and I've got my popcorn out to see how there customer service responds.

Yeah it is only ~$100 bucks for a potential 3k gain, and I know of several "trimmed" books that have changed label colors.

So he made a gamble the OP wasn't willing to make. Which is odd because any sane person would think 'surely they're gonna remember this book'.....

I guess my point is it doesn't have to be a conspiracy. If the submitter was in it for the money and was aware of cgc's history a quick resub becomes an attractive proposition.

So he made a gamble the OP wasn't willing to make. Which is odd because any sane person would think 'surely they're gonna remember this book'.....

it would not be 100% that they would remember it.

As before....

It's not about making mistakes.

It's about how you respond to the mistakes you make.

exactly this

And they have not had a chance to do this yet. I would imagine with everyone traveling back from Seattle they will answer no sooner than Tuesday.

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited either; however, I'm sure at least one mod or boardie has already alerted them to this by now.

It is a calculated risk that can be rationalized. You don't have to be totally insane to risk $100 even if you think the likelihood of an upgrade is small.

Another thing I don't understand, why would the new owner show this to Dan ? He must have realized there would be some consequence. We really need to find out who the submitter is.

I don't have too much of a problem with the new owner showing it to Dan.

I am finding it harder to think of a reason for the new owner to allow a thread to be started about his investment which will surely depreciate it's value.

It is a calculated risk that can be rationalized. You don't have to be totally insane to risk $100 even if you think the likelihood of an upgrade is small.

Wondering why the OP didn't take that risk as he had the exact same chance as the buyer.

What if the buyer had the 'well I'm a huge customer' card to play.....that's where I'm going with this....