• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I'll say it again, since so many people are crying conspiracy by the resubber.

1.) you pay thousands for a purple book, you are going to find out its history

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

-nothing weird about it all

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

Who cares why the new owner resubbed the book??? Seriously. Maybe he's a friend of SD and wanted to see if CGC would grade it restored. It doesn't matter. So what if they did. CGC should have graded it correctly. Period. 2c

This is why. at least for me.

As was said before: It would be interesting if the new owner is a high volume submitter and I've got my popcorn out to see how there customer service responds.

Dumb on both the buyer and seller's parts to bring this to the light of day. And people wonder why the Government doesn't tell us squat.

Why dumb on seller's part? This heat could get him compensation....maybe unwise of buyer to give a heads up to seller abt what happened though....

Dumb on both the buyer and seller's parts to bring this to the light of day. And people wonder why the Government doesn't tell us squat.

WUT

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

I would have resubbed it. I might even have flown down and walked a bunch through. I've bought purple books, had the color touch removed, and resubbed for blue (even when it's been a bit of a coin toss).

I guess I just think differently. If i knew a book was a 6.0 blue label and was resubbed and received a 7.0 purple label, i wouldn't think to buy it and resub it almost immediately thinking it will come back a universal again and at a grade that is worth more than I paid for it. Id figure it's just throwing money away. If you did fly down and do it and it came back a purple again, would you keep trying because it once sat in a blue label?

What if the buyer had the 'well I'm a huge customer' card to play.....that's where I'm going with this....

Where are you going with this? Can you say it outright?

"Comics receive generic barcoding upon receipt and our separate receiving department does not convey any information about the submitter to the graders."

So if what CGC states is true what advantage do you think a large submitter would have? (shrug)

The OP hasn't told us who bought the book, which means Gene Simmons must be the buyer, and the graders at CGC must be huge KISS fans.

What if the buyer had the 'well I'm a huge customer' card to play.....that's where I'm going with this....

Where are you going with this? Can you say it outright?

"Comics receive generic barcoding upon receipt and our separate receiving department does not convey any information about the submitter to the graders."

So if what CGC states is true what advantage do you think a large submitter would have? (shrug)

None. Is a walkthrough different though? Never seen the process in person so I don't know if it's different.

This is all clearly a conspiracy. CGC has nothing to lose by admitting they can't detect trimming, and the OP has everything to gain from faking this whole situation.

I would resub. 3% FMV grading fee on a plod jim 83 7.0 is about $100 versus a potential doubling in price from 2800k for a plod to nearly 6k for a universal. So it would be worth the risk for me. Especially if i knew it had been a universal before...

Even if dude told you about the 'consensus'?

Yeah it is only ~$100 bucks for a potential 3k gain, and I know of several "trimmed" books that have changed label colors.

I guess my point is it doesn't have to be a conspiracy. If the submitter was in it for the money and was aware of cgc's history a quick resub becomes an attractive proposition.

Well said. It's all just a game of chance.

The OP hasn't told us who bought the book, which means Gene Simmons must be the buyer, and the graders at CGC must be huge KISS fans.

That or Chris Hemsworth is the buyer and resubmitted it, and the graders thought"he is the real Thor" so they gave him a better grade and they are a fan of his too..

That or Chris Hemsworth is the buyer and resubmitted it, and the graders thought"he is the real Thor" so they gave him a better grade and they are a fan of his too..

Nah. Hemsworth would have gotten the blue AND the 7. ;)

It's much more likely, given the rules of logik and all the evidences availaible, that Jaimie Alexander walked the book through naked, and the CGC gave it the blue because they are a fan of naked. And that's why the government thinks we're stupid.

Either:

The book is trimmed and:

They missed it in the walkthrough-PROBLEM

Preferential treatrment was given-PROBLEM

The book is not trimmed and:

They misdiagnosed trim-PROBLEM

Everyone in the building took a look and saw trim-PROBLEM

Which scenario is best for CGC? Worst?

There is no good scenario here. They messed up badly! They damaged their reputation and their brand.

I would resub. 3% FMV grading fee on a plod jim 83 7.0 is about $100 versus a potential doubling in price from 2800k for a plod to nearly 6k for a universal. So it would be worth the risk for me. Especially if i knew it had been a universal before...

Even if dude told you about the 'consensus'?

Yeah it is only ~$100 bucks for a potential 3k gain, and I know of several "trimmed" books that have changed label colors.

I guess my point is it doesn't have to be a conspiracy. If the submitter was in it for the money and was aware of cgc's history a quick resub becomes an attractive proposition.

Definitely not a conspiracy, just a mistake, a big mistake by CGC, but an honest mistake. I just hate getting little info, I like to know the whole story. Im really nosy.

What you guys don't realize is that the OP is Matt Nelson and this whole thing is a training exercise with real-life consequences for the graders, sorta like the danger room.