• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Sorry man you got hosed! I have my own issues with CGC, but all I can do is just take it like the rest of us. CGC does what they want regardless.

Until someone or some company comes along and kicks them off the high horse. They have a monopoly on the whole grad thing.

This part is up to all of us. PGX trashed their rep, the Vault is still new and I haven't heard of any concrete proof of wrong doing. The problem isn't with CGC in this aspect but rather all of us. For every 10 of us that say, screw CGC lets try the Vault or whatever new company pops up, there will at least be another 10 who best case scenario, don't care and keep going to CGC. People are so used to them that it's next to impossible to dethrone them.

CGC didn't create monopoly, we the consumers gave them one. Someone has a PGX book we laugh and criticize, same thing with the Vault.

We created this, it's our faults. I'm just as guilty, if I wanted a book graded, I go to CGC because people seemingly lose credibility if they don't.

say whaaaat?!

Sorry man you got hosed! I have my own issues with CGC, but all I can do is just take it like the rest of us. CGC does what they want regardless.

Until someone or some company comes along and kicks them off the high horse. They have a monopoly on the whole grad thing.

This part is up to all of us. PGX trashed their rep, the Vault is still new and I haven't heard of any concrete proof of wrong doing. The problem isn't with CGC in this aspect but rather all of us. For every 10 of us that say, screw CGC lets try the Vault or whatever new company pops up, there will at least be another 10 who best case scenario, don't care and keep going to CGC. People are so used to them that it's next to impossible to dethrone them.

CGC didn't create monopoly, we the consumers gave them one. Someone has a PGX book we laugh and criticize, same thing with the Vault.

We created this, it's our faults. I'm just as guilty, if I wanted a book graded, I go to CGC because people seemingly lose credibility if they don't.

Some one that finally understands truth i say you lad are ^^

"The Difference is CGC"

As long as CGC copies continue to sell for multiples of their raw counterparts....the truck will keep on...... truckin'.

Fact is new companies have come up, they either trash their own rep (PGX) or we as consumers don't even give them the time of day and start spinning reasons why they're bad and how CGC is great. Look at the thread regarding The Vault, a lot of that is people saying they don't say who their graders are, it's fixed, blah blah blah, and how CGC is the best.

Then we hear of like this, get up in arms, person_without_enough_empathy and moan and that's it.

Either CGC is gonna own up, try to make amends and we will say wow they're so awesome and we'll forgive and forget. OR they'll do absolutely nothing, and we'll forget.

If we want change, we submit elsewhere or we don't submit. Who among us is ready for that?

Dumb on both the buyer and seller's parts to bring this to the light of day. And people wonder why the Government doesn't tell us squat.

WUT

I thought the comment was pretty self explanatory, not sure how you could be confused. The crapstorm this has and will create is much the same that would happen if people really knew what was going down in the real on a regular basis. Clearer?

So the buyer and seller are stupid for relaying the results of multiple submissions of the same book, and the subsequent crapstorm is the reason why we can't know what really goes on at CGC?

WUT

The new owner was not smart to ever let anyone know of his good fortune, absolutely. Not only has he put a big black mark on his own book, but has brought serious doubt of the whole system in place. Doesn't take a Braniac to see that. Do you know of any business that is run completely transparent? The mass panic on this thread is evidence of why not, so yes, you or I will never know exactly what goes on behind closed doors at CGC.

Edited by ShawnDeath

Dumb on both the buyer and seller's parts to bring this to the light of day. And people wonder why the Government doesn't tell us squat.

WUT

I thought the comment was pretty self explanatory, not sure how you could be confused. The crapstorm this has and will create is much the same that would happen if people really knew what was going down in the real on a regular basis. Clearer?

So the buyer and seller are stupid for relaying the results of multiple submissions of the same book, and the subsequent crapstorm is the reason why we can't know what really goes on at CGC?

WUT

The new owner was not smart to ever let anyone know of his good fortune, absolutely. Not only has he put a big black mark on his own book, but has brought serious doubt of the whole system in place. Doesn't take a Braniac to see that. Do you know of any business that is run completely transparent? The mass panic on this thread is evidence of why not, so yes, you or I will never know exactly what goes on behind closed doors at CGC.

Still not clear on why it was dumb to bring this to light. The fact that CGC apparently had an EPIC screw up should be covered up or hidden?

Is this an "ignorance is bliss" type argument or what? Or are you saying by bringing this to light, CGC will now be more secretive?

I fully agree with you, we put them on the top,

Quick Story, I met a man once who worked for Princeton one of his job duties on the side of being a professor for the university was evaluation of OLD books. He had 1000s of these rare old books that were probably worth more then our Comic collections combined.

After I left his studio/Office, I thought to myself. These are the kind of guys who could make a killing on grading comic books. They know more then any GCG grader could possibly imagine. But then again his books were from the 15th century and stuff, or something like that. He said lots of people like him do this. But then again my second thought would be that it’s overboard and not really his area,

But hey get a few of those guys and start a company with the education and background,

CGC =Done. lol But thats my opinion

Edited by Wampler

"The Difference is CGC"

As long as CGC copies continue to sell for multiples of their raw counterparts....the truck will keep on...... truckin'.

Is there another Auction House large enough to invest in and sponsor another Grading Company? Who's ever going to do that? ComicLink?

And even if it did happen, CGC already has "marketing agreements" locked down across a buttload of vendors and retailers.

I fully agree with you, we put them on the top,

Quick Story, I met a man once who worked for Princeton one of his job duties on the side of being a professor for the university was evaluation of OLD books. He had 1000s of these rare old books that were probably worth more then our Comic collections combined.

After I left his studio/Office, I thought to myself. These are the kind of guys who could make a killing on grading comic books. They know more then any GCG grader could possibly imagine. But then again his books were from the 15th century and stuff, or something like that. He said lots of people like him do this. But then again my second thought would be that it’s overboard and not really his area,

But hey get a few of those guys and start a company with the education and background,

GCG =Done. lol But thats my opinion

I agree, the best people to grade these would be old book and currency experts and others from academia. I'm almost of the notion that the people who grade comics should have a distaste for the, or at worst not care. That way, it should be be completely objective, at least in theory. the PMG graders should grade comics and the CGC graders should grade currency, at least that would be a start. Then again, they're still under the same umbrella.

Op stated that CGC had everyone come down and look at this book and they all still concluded it was trimmed. Then the book shows up a month later in a blue holder through a walk through. Screams wink and a handshake to me.

Makes you nervous buying any high priced silver age key if this is how CGC is conducting business.

WUT

WUT

Still not clear on why it was dumb to bring this to light. The fact that CGC apparently had an EPIC screw up should be covered up or hidden?

Is this an "ignorance is bliss" type argument or what? Or are you saying by bringing this to light, CGC will now be more secretive?

The OP = seller = Dan brought it to light and yes, it was the right thing to do. However, IMO, the new owner screwed up by alerting Dan to his good fortune. I think there is a real chance of CGC requesting this book back for evaluation. If you recall, CGC did that for some of those spine realigned books. Of course, the new owner can refuse but no matter how you look at it, this book has a scarlet letter and will be difficult to move.

"The Difference is CGC"

Is there another Auction House large enough to invest in and sponsor another Grading Company? Who's ever going to do that? ComicLink?

And even if it did happen, CGC already has "marketing agreements" locked down across a buttload of vendors and retailers.

Few things are certain in the world, but I can unequivocally guarantee this, if we start messing with CGC's bottom line, change will happen. All of their marketing agreements with vendors and retailers will be worth less than the ink it written with. If we start going else where, CGC will change faster than Superman in a Phone booth.

However, to emphasize, it will never happen because of US.

The OP hasn't told us who bought the book, which means Gene Simmons must be the buyer, and the graders at CGC must be huge KISS fans.

That or Chris Hemsworth is the buyer and resubmitted it, and the graders thought"he is the real Thor" so they gave him a better grade and they are a fan of his too..

Nah. Hemsworth would have gotten the blue AND the 7. ;)

:fear:lol..

Chuck Norris would have gotten an 11. And the whole slab would be blue.

jwayne_zpsecb65a3e.jpg

WUT

WUT

The OP = seller = Dan brought it to light and yes, it was the right thing to do. However, IMO, the new owner screwed up by alerting Dan to his good fortune. I think there is a real chance of CGC requesting this book back for evaluation. If you recall, CGC did that for some of those spine realigned books. Of course, the new owner can refuse but no matter how you look at it, this book has a scarlet letter and will be difficult to move.

I disagree with he hard to move part. Again this goes back to my point of us being the culprits. If that book is priced right, it's sold. Maybe even to one of us. Worst case scenario, some "half-way" comic fan with money snatches it up.

Nobody in their right mind would return this to CGC to re-examine.

Edited by stanley1883

Well, maybe. The problem with monopolies is that they are created by circumstance, that is, it's not necessarily what the market will bear, but what the consumer will bear in terms of acceptable choices. Your choices disappear many times over when, as it was mentioned in this thread already, CGC engages in acts to manage your ability to make a choice, like engaging in marketing agreements with vendors and retailers across the board, making it legally impossible for other companies that want to be in the business of grading comics to gain any sort of marketshare, which allows consumers to enjoy the results of competing businesses.

The problem is that, at least in this industry, nothing has to change: this isn't regulated by any law, which serves as the basis for those cases you read about between Microsoft and whoever.

In the end, I really don't believe "we created it," but I also believe that it was completely inevitable, considering the (lack of) circumstances to stop it.

This doesn't actually change my opinion of CGC all that much. I thought they had better resto detection, but nobody is perfect so I never expected solid black and white results from them. Their grades vary depending on whatever. Who is grading? What time is it? What kind of mood are you in? And on more than one occasion resto has slipped past them. They are still most likely better graders than the LCS owner, they are more trustworthy than an eBay seller, but they're still just people. Paying multiples for a high grade ALWAYS seemed stupid to me.

What's the comic worth raw? What's the grading fee? That's what the comic is worth to me, if I deem it "worth grading" at all, and I only own one slab, so you can imagine how often I think something is worth grading.