• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

GRADER NOTES SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE FREE. If you take your car to the shop they list on the invoice anything they did/saw/recommend. It cost CGC nothing to do this. It would stifle a lot of criticism they receive. It is good business.

Yeah I went to my Dr and he treated me, but I have no idea what is wrong with me cause that costs extra.....

CGC has ONE product, it's reputation!

That product isn't looking too good right now.

For a book of this magnitude to be going from blue to purple to blue and 6 to 7 to 6 all in the matter of a couple months is mind boggling.

A thorough explanation is in order.

What really confuses me are the grade dates. Only several weeks apart. This book and all the hoopla had to be fresh in their memories. You'd have to be completely incompetent for not a single CGC employee to go, "Hey isn't this the comic we just had all the....."

Especially when "everyone in the building with grading credibility looked at the book, and EVERYONE agreed it was trimmed." hm

Riiiiiiiiight.

hm

What really confuses me are the grade dates. Only several weeks apart. This book and all the hoopla had to be fresh in their memories. You'd have to be completely incompetent for not a single CGC employee to go, "Hey isn't this the comic we just had all the....."

Especially when "everyone in the building with grading credibility looked at the book, and EVERYONE agreed it was trimmed." hm

Maybe that means no one looked at it....

GRADER NOTES SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE FREE. If you take your car to the shop they list on the invoice anything they did/saw/recommend. It cost CGC nothing to do this. It would stifle a lot of criticism they receive. It is good business.

Yeah I went to my Dr and he treated me, but I have no idea what is wrong with me cause that costs extra.....

[font:Book Antiqua]You have a point...![/font]

(thumbs u

Everyone in the building with credibility just lost major credibility.

Sure, mistakes do happen. But if your surgeon removes the wrong eye then he sucks. If he misdiagnoses a tricky illness, ok.

Trimming detection in my opinion is the biggest flaw at CGC right now. And I think it's heavily towards detecting trimming that doesn't exist than vice-versa.

So much hub-bub now, but it's a longstanding problem. There have been many board members who've posted their prior experiences with books changing label colors with multiple submissions, including original owner books that are known to be untrimmed with absolute certainty.

As for the CGC claim that 'everyone' decided the comic was trimmed, that's simply their way of deflecting from the problem. The CGC business model is focused on volume, and it seems extremely unlikely that all of the restoration detectors and graders would have taken time away from their regular duties to thoroughly look over this one book.

CGC is fallible with trimming detection, and this is another of many known examples.

+1. This post sums it up pretty well. There is still a sticky in comics general concerning the scammer that was slipping (micro) trimmed books past CGC years ago.

I find trimming incredibly difficult to detect myself. I've seen books I thought were obviously trimmed in blue labels and books that look fine in purple. With older books, a lot funky cutting sometimes occurred at the printing stage.

Kav offered pretty good advice way back on page 2 or 3. You get something like this and don't think it's right, the best thing to do is probably do not say a word, wait a month and resub.

I feel for the OP. Would be very frustrating.

Maybe that means no one looked at it....

:roflmao::roflmao::golfclap::roflmao::roflmao:

Trimming detection in my opinion is the biggest flaw at CGC right now. And I think it's heavily towards detecting trimming that doesn't exist than vice-versa.

Believe me, that is NOT their biggest flaw right now, not even close! ;)

Compared to tape, CT etc if trimming is so minor as to be undetectable it should just be ignored as an issue. Or something.

:popcorn:

This is just wild. I can understand slight grading differences with regards to the number. But from blue to purple to blue .... I'd be seeing another color .... Red.

Hey, it's only a major key with a distinctive fault that was talked about and shown to EVERY grader in the building! Why would that ring a bell a whole 6 months later! I'd bet anything on exactly what happened on this last regrade (thumbs u

Riiiiiiiiight.

hm

You didn't read the first post, did you?

Six months from now I'm gonna re post that cover and see if anyone here remembers it....

What if it turns out it was special treatment and they just thought no one would notice......

If that's the case, it's major red flag as well.

'If' this is the case, CGC was duped by the submitter = not CGC's fault. It's been pretty obvious the past few years that some submitters are gaming the system. This would simply be another example. Another thing I don't understand, why would the new owner show this to Dan ? He must have realized there would be some consequence. We really need to find out who the submitter is.

wasn't there a popped staple incident a few years ago?