• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Maybe it is a new policy, take the higher grade purple or opt for the one grade drop for the trim plus a PQ hit but get a blue label.

Trimmed books always get a Purple label

No they don't. There was a trimmed blue label in last months Comic Connect action

I hate to say it but we do a better job on the buddy can ya spare a grade forum.....

What really confuses me are the grade dates. Only several weeks apart. This book and all the hoopla had to be fresh in their memories. You'd have to be completely incompetent for not a single CGC employee to go, "Hey isn't this the comic we just had all the....."

Especially when "everyone in the building with grading credibility looked at the book, and EVERYONE agreed it was trimmed." hm

Riiiiiiiiight.

hm

You didn't read the first post, did you?

I read every post. I was agreeing with the above poster.

Maybe it is a new policy, take the higher grade purple or opt for the one grade drop for the trim plus a PQ hit but get a blue label.

No they don't. There was a trimmed blue label in last months Comic Connect action

I assume someone posted about it & a discussion ensued. Got a link?

Where is the op in all these 21 pages? Why was the book resubbed? What did the buyer say? It wouldn't be "hey just did a walk through with that JIM and got a 6.0 blue. Suck it!". Some info is needed. There was a plan either from the buyer or the seller or both.

This is another example of why CGC needs to raise their prices. They need to be able to hire more experienced, qualified graders - and these people are not cheap. Grading vintage GA and SA comics is a high-stress job - especially when the slightest mishap can mean thousands.

LINK

This is another example of why CGC needs to raise their prices. They need to be able to hire more experienced, qualified graders - and these people are not cheap. Grading vintage GA and SA comics is a high-stress job - especially when the slightest mishap can mean thousands.

I wonder what their profit margin is. I know they are always looking for new talent and have an internship type assessment system....man I would kill at this job-you all see how annoyingly persistent I am and focus on minutiae.....

I have a plausible theory that Dan(the original OP) can shed some light on.

What if the new owner submitted the book with the original 6.0 OW Blue label, perhaps for a 'review'. In that case the focus of the graders would be on the grade, not a resto check. With a blue label attached they would probably skip the resto check. The fact that the grade, page quality, and label color are all identical to the original blue label makes this plausible.

Dan, did you pass the original label along to the new owner ?

This might be true if the label stays with the book the whole way. It does not. I would be very surprised if review books were treated any different than a new submission. The point is to grade the book in front of you with no outside influences.

What if the new owner submitted the book with the original 6.0 OW Blue label, perhaps for a 'review'. In that case the focus of the graders would be on the grade, not a resto check. With a blue label attached they would probably skip the resto check. The fact that the grade, page quality, and label color are all identical to the original blue label makes this plausible.

This might be true if the label stays with the book the whole way. It does not. I would be very surprised if review books were treated any different than a new submission. The point is to grade the book in front of you with no outside influences.

I'm pretty sure when dude walked around he said 'does the top look trimmed'? I just can't believe everyone missed it the first go round then caught it the second....

Where is the op in all these 21 pages? Why was the book resubbed? What did the buyer say? It wouldn't be "hey just did a walk through with that JIM and got a 6.0 blue. Suck it!". Some info is needed. There was a plan either from the buyer or the seller or both.

Agreed...why is the buyer taunting the seller???

An unscrupulous seller wouldn't want the track history of the book ever being disclosed and would want to distance the book from the previous purple incarnation.

So let's assume the buyer does have scruples, what is the endgame here?

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

The sad thing is that this incident doesn't change my feelings towards CGC one iota.

I have as much faith in them as I have had for several years now. Which is to say, none. Five years ago, this would have surprised, even shocked me. No longer.

I'm pretty sure when dude walked around he said 'does the top look trimmed'? I just can't believe everyone missed it the first go round then caught it the second....

If that was the case (which I don't believe it to be as I have sent in my share of review books) then the review system has a major flaw.

If that was the case (which I don't believe it to be as I have sent in my share of review books) then the review system has a major flaw.

Well this was a bit different-he was saying they made a mistake so it wasn't just a casual resub.

Also did they crack it out of the case to check for trimming or just look at it? If they didn't crack it then it was in a purple case.

LINK

hm