• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

Why would you assume that?

I went into the show knowing nothing about it. I didn't read any threads about it and I didn't watch any trailers. Nada. So I went into it entirely neutral.

In fact, I knew so little about the show I actually thought it had been on the air for quite some time already (because I saw the display in SD in July) so I was quite surprised to find out from the boards that it was premiering Monday night and I caught it and watched it with an open mind.

The only thing I could think about while watching was how it didnt' really engage me the way the 1st Walking Dead or the first Hell on Wheels episodes did. It was as simple as that. I wasn't engaged, even though I wanted to be.

Well I thought about that, and also how Jada Pinkett stole the show.

Hell on Wheels is a great show.

Dan

People don't need to appeased. Their feelings aren't hurt. :makepoint:

Appease: pacify or placate (someone) by acceding to their demands

Would you like that hammer back for a little self-realization?

Breaking Bad is not the mold, it's the standard, as in standard of quality for television storytelling. So is Walking Dead (at least the 1st season was).

There were a number of folks posting about how 'Breaking Bad' has made them have much higher expectations how a show should be developed. And I will agree, the show gave one long demonstration of how it can be done. But it is not the standard for how all shows should be done. It was an approach.

Kind of like saying because Marvel Studios has been extremely successful in recent years with its productions, everyone should do it like Marvel does. Yet all that continued success didn't come around until 2008. How long can the same approach last, and be successful every time? Let's see. We have many movies ahead to prove it out.

There were a number of folks posting about how 'Breaking Bad' has made them have much higher expectations how a show should be developed. And I will agree, the show gave one long demonstration of how it can be done. But it is not the standard for how all shows should be done. It was an approach.

Kind of like saying because Marvel Studios has been extremely successful in recent years with its productions, everyone should do it like Marvel does. Yet all that continued success didn't come around until 2008. How long can the same approach last, and be successful every time? Let's see. We have many movies ahead to prove it out.

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels - pick your poison. Drugs, zombies or American history - It's not a style, it's a standard of quality and a formula for success and AMC has found it.

And Marvel has definitely found a formula even if they didn't have a strong one pre 2008. So did DC with Superman #1 back in 1978. So did Led Zeppelin. So does Green Day.

Nothing lasts forever but to last even a short time as successful it needs to be successful first. How long it lasts is going to depend on how innovative the creators are moving forward.

Marvel kept the Marvel age going for many decades.

Marvel kept the Marvel age going for many decades.

Yes they did. Pre and post-bankruptcy. Many smaller companies probably would have gone the route of Eclipse or others that couldn't keep up with financial challenges and changing times.

To appease you ( :baiting: ), I will say what I have said in my movie threads. Since 2008, Marvel movies have been very successful. None as impactful as Batman (1989) financially or through comic hobby infusion driving new readers towards shops. But they are definitely keeping a tight universe going, and bringing in many wins with the revenue. It has kept my disc library growing as I buy each.

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

Why would you assume that?

I went into the show knowing nothing about it. I didn't read any threads about it and I didn't watch any trailers. Nada. So I went into it entirely neutral.

In fact, I knew so little about the show I actually thought it had been on the air for quite some time already (because I saw the display in SD in July) so I was quite surprised to find out from the boards that it was premiering Monday night and I caught it and watched it with an open mind.

The only thing I could think about while watching was how it didnt' really engage me the way the 1st Walking Dead or the first Hell on Wheels episodes did. It was as simple as that. I wasn't engaged, even though I wanted to be.

Well I thought about that, and also how Jada Pinkett stole the show.

I watched the first season of Hell on Wheels but it never struck me as a great show, kind of Deadwood light.

I watched the first season of Hell on Wheels but it never struck me as a great show, kind of Deadwood light.

Appeal is always going to be subjective. Everyone sees and hears things differently.

As far as broad appeal goes, age has a lot to do with taste and if they are aiming at a younger demographic then maybe Gotham is the perfect show. It just doesn't strike me as appealing right now (I'm 44).

That's not to say that it's terrible. I'll admit that I felt even Walking Dead had a few stinkers and I talked about dropping the show but the strength of the strongest episodes kept pulling me back to see if it would regain it's former glory.

You're getting perilously close to advertisers not caring about you at your age!

Gotham is probably aimed at 20-40 year old males, the money shot demographic. I'm 47 so I'm even less important to advertisers.

Is it the greatest show, no (maybe in time, who knows) but criticism has been pretty harsh from these boards, although not by all. Was the acting that terrible? really?

You're getting perilously close to advertisers not caring about you at your age!

Gotham is probably aimed at 20-40 year old males, the money shot demographic. I'm 47 so I'm even less important to advertisers.

Is it the greatest show, no (maybe in time, who knows) but criticism has been pretty harsh from these boards, although not by all. Was the acting that terrible? really?

For me, I think there are probably strong actors on the show, but the writing was so darned awful bad, they were handcuffed from the very beginning. Good actors can't save bad writing.

Dan

Gotham has the same problem as Shield. It's a show about all the supporting players, minus the lead. I watch Shield and I want the Avengers to show up. I watch Gotham, and I want to see Batman on the case.

Smallville didn't have that problem. Clark wasn't in costume yet, and didn't know he could fly, but he was still there to save the day.

Gotham has the same problem as Shield. It's a show about all the supporting players, minus the lead. I watch Shield and I want the Avengers to show up. I watch Gotham, and I want to see Batman on the case.

Smallville didn't have that problem. Clark wasn't in costume yet, and didn't know he could fly, but he was still there to save the day.

Now that is a show critique I can agree with. Shield lost me after five episodes because I kept waiting for something superhero-related to happen. It's natural when you think of the Marvel Universe now.

But I felt Gotham was on better footing than the Shield pilot. Not by much because they front-loaded too many characters, too many names. And the -script was a little choppy. I'm hoping in the first few episodes it shakes off that newness bug, and the cast and -script get cooking. That last part of the show where Gordon had to perform a certain act to show he was part of the dirty cops club hit where this show needs to focus - Gordon pretending to be what he is not, yet working the system through his inside connections.

:wishluck:

Now that is a show critique I can agree with. Shield lost me after five episodes because I kept waiting for something superhero-related to happen. It's natural when you think of the Marvel Universe now.

But I felt Gotham was on better footing than the Shield pilot. Not by much because they front-loaded too many characters, too many names. And the -script was a little choppy. I'm hoping in the first few episodes it shakes off that newness bug, and the cast and -script get cooking. That last part of the show where Gordon had to perform a certain act to show he was part of the dirty cops club hit where this show needs to focus - Gordon pretending to be what he is not, yet working the system through his inside connections.

:wishluck:

I totally just figured out that you guys are talking about Agents of Shield (which I liked after the second half of the season), not the FX show "THE SHIELD", which is one of my favorite shows ever (any youngsters should go watch it on Amazon Prime or Netflix).

And yes people love Breaking Bad, but certainly not every story can be told or shot that way, just like its really really hard to tell another story in the same way as "The Wire", which is the FIRST AND ONE TRUE KING of awesome serial cable dramas. This is ESPECIALLY TRUE as Gotham is on network tv, and has to be episodic, as opposed to cable where they can be told more like minisiries.

Edited by Revat

See, again you're assuming that everyone wanted to see something 'superhero' in Gotham. That's not the case with me.

I have not seen a single episode of Smallville but always assumed that it had nothing to do with the superhero angle so I assumed Gotham was the same.

I didn't wait for something superhero to happen and I didn't want to be like Breaking Bad. I just wanted it to be good. That's all.

Both are self explanatory and I agree with them.

The writing doesn't flow naturally. It isn't smooth and seamless. They seem like they are trying too hard to impress people by putting too much content into one show. Amateurish.

(shrug)

It's a pilot

See, again you're assuming that everyone wanted to see something 'superhero' in Gotham. That's not the case with me.

I have not seen a single episode of Smallville but always assumed that it had nothing to do with the superhero angle so I assumed Gotham was the same.

I didn't wait for something superhero to happen and I didn't want to be like Breaking Bad. I just wanted it to be good. That's all.

Where did you see me say 'everyone wanted...' in what I posted there? I think you are assuming again.

Felix...

I love superheroes/comics as much as anyone but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit through something unwatchable just to support it. I want all these shows to succeed but if they're not good then I'm not going to lie to myself.

That would be a waste of anyone's time to sit through a show to support horrible productions. Nobody should ever have to suffer through that.

I think what got ugly here is we are talking about a pilot (one episode total), and some were making it sound like the entire series is a bust. I even gave Agent of Shield at least five episodes before calling it quits.

Hopefully, Gotham kicks in with everyone settling into their roles, and with smoother scripts.

This surprises me. You should check it out, Roy. I think you would enjoy it. The first 3 seasons are excellent.