• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Interesting as well is that the seller proclaimed in big letters that the comic was "unrestored". And he was being very bluntly honest about that point. It had not been restored. It had been deliberately mutilated.

:censored:

Sold for $300 less than the last 5.0 copy a year ago, but again, he probably made a good profit from an upgrade.

And I thought pressing wasn't restoration :shrug:

Not sure what your point is. My point is that the guy is bad for the market. He's creating butt-ugly books that sell for significantly less than FMV, thereby bringing down the value of all other copies to anyone that's just looking at GPA history to determine value of that particular issue.

My point is, the loud crowd around here, AND CGC doesn't consider pressing restoration.

See the note above about "unrestored".

Now we are entering an era where we will apparently have 'detectable' bad pressing and 'undetectable' good pressing.

and that`s why i was trying to make a point about some sportscard dealers, and novice sportscard collectors who just found out about pressing. They found out pressing is very profitable,and now our sharing their pressing methods amongst themselves.The comics community has kept pressing in check and closely guarded,while not so with the sportscard collectors as information about pressing comics for them has gone viral,so expect much more amateur or badly pressed comics in the future.

A poster pointed out my Matt Wilson post.

I was wrong in stating that the book I was shown had work done by Matt Wilson. Steve told me last night that the work on the book dealers were shown to determine what restoration was done was worked on by Mark Wilson. He stated that Mark no longer does work for anyone else. Again, the work done on the book I was shown was very very good.

While Mark has posted in this thread he hasn't answered the question of whether or not he has any personal/business relationship with this particular seller.

From what I can find on eBay, the search function and the Google:

Mark Wilson (eBay: dizneyart, pgcmint.com)

- dealer and restorer(?)

- is a board member (PGCMint) and stated that he has no involvement

Matt Wilson (fantasymasterpieces.com)

- restorer

- Mark's brother

Thomas Wilson (eBay: collectors_comics)

- dealer and restorer(?)

- relationship?

Jesse Wilson (eBay: wxproduction, wxproduction.com)

- dealer and restorer(?)

- Mark's or Matt's son

- likes to use tape: LINK1, LINK2

- currently has this book listed on eBay doh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-1-CGC-7-0-STUNNING-Hulk-Iron-Man-Thor-Marvel-1963-KEY-/190809428113

2dcimad.jpg

The plot thickens sickens

Wow, how many of these Franken-books are there? Methinks CGC haseth a problem here :eek:

I didnt see you dispute anything i said.

What actual damage has been done? none

What has he done that is wrong/unethical/against CGC/illegal? nothing

For the record i dont like what hes doing either. Noone has made anything other that emotional arguments. If the overgrading upsets people... well i just got a dog looking 9.8 back, am i now a villain too?

Mister Green, I already shared that I am not going to try and sway your opinion. It is very clear you are of the other camp a seller can do what they want to sell their books. Now what extent you go with that opinion (e.g. clipping corners, trimming edges, taping pages, repainting smudges) would be interesting as I'd like to know how far does "they're his books and he can do what he wants to sell them" goes.

What damage? Altering the books from their natural state. And yes, some books are miscut during the production process. But it is clear now the alteration he is making is not from production, so therefore not the book's natural state of presentment and structure.

Is it illegal? No.

Is it shady and meant to trick a buyer into assuming a better candidate? Yes.

Make your call how far your values go in judging right vs. wrong when collecting and selling in our hobby. But I wouldn't want any of the books he now altered.

That`s what it comes down to. To screw or not to screw the comic book collector!

Interesting as well is that the seller proclaimed in big letters that the comic was "unrestored". And he was being very bluntly honest about that point. It had not been restored. It had been deliberately mutilated.

Sold for $300 less than the last 5.0 copy a year ago, but again, he probably made a good profit from an upgrade.

Perhaps we can all settle on MANIPULATION?.

The comics community has kept pressing in check and closely guarded,

Can you please stop posting this drivel? Pressing hasn't been "in check" or "closely guarded" for at least a decade.

while not so with the sportscard collectors as information about pressing comics for them has gone viral,so expect much more amateur or badly pressed comics in the future.

And once they discover that CGC will hammer the grade on a botched pressing job, they'll wise up and start sending their books to CFP or CIS.

It's like watching a pack of bloodhounds tracking escaped convicts. :popcorn:

I keep picturing the Wilsons as the trio from Oh Brother Where Art Though, with their striped PJs, manacled feet, and utter inability to escape bluegrass music.

Perhaps we can all settle on MANIPULATION?.

Or perhaps MANIPEDIPULTATION depending on who the poster is.

Seriously though, there are questions that need answering on the part of the submitter.

Can you please stop posting this drivel? Pressing hasn't been "in check" or "closely guarded" for at least a decade.

while not so with the sportscard collectors as information about pressing comics for them has gone viral,so expect much more amateur or badly pressed comics in the future.

And once they discover that CGC will hammer the grade on a botched pressing job, they'll wise up and start sending their books to CFP or CIS.

Have many of you seen a poor pressing job? A good one?

A good job is very difficult to detect. A poor one has telltale signs. If I know what to look for, I am sure CGC does as well.

What was done on the AV #1 was neither. We all assume it was done by pressing, but it might not have been. My first assumption was that it was pressed, but that is not absolute. The intent was not to remove small defects, it was to re-align the spine to hide issues that at the time, were present on the front cover. This is a far cry from a straight press. To those who want to lump all pressing under the same umbrella, I doubt I can say anything to change your mind. So I won't try.

Compared to the amount of pressing that`s about to happen this year it`s been in check.

You got two storms on the horizon that will take pressing to a whole new different level.

CGC will now press your books opening the door for more rush jobs.

The more comics that get pressed will leave to less quality of pressing.

They will press more because they will make unprecedented profits.

Novice rookie wannabee sportscard dealers who will exploit pressing comics to the max.

Most comic book pressers do have a love for the comic books they press and will be careful with pedigrees,while the sportscard dealers could care less if they damage a comic book.They just want a profit.

Thes two storms factored in with how collectors_comics just pulled the wool over the experts eyes should make for a mighty interesting 2013.

:popcorn: