• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 3

2,686 posts in this topic

The nearest serial #'s to the 9.2 slab (# 0703056003) in BronzeBruce's list of Ewert submitted books are 0703055010 and 0703057003.

0703056003 (ASM#4 CGC 9.2)

893whatthe.gif Those are consecutive invoices. Looks like another Ewert book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I see, thanks for pointing out the sequence.

CRANBERRY!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

From what I can tell from the two scans, it doesn't seem like the book was trimmed. Unless of course the book was pressed from 8.5 to 9.0 to 9.2. Otherwise, just add this book to the growing list of varying CGC grades with every submission.

Did you save the image and blow it up? I don't believe the book has not had work done to it (trimming). Look at the large Heritage scan. There are two or three nicks that are missing now.

Yes, now I can see it. The horizontal webline just to the right of of the rectangular box is touching the vertical webline in the 8.5 copy. However, the 2 lines do not touch on the 9.2 copy. It's a slither of a difference.

for what its worth, I think that blue splotch is common on many copies as a printing hickey that lasted on the cyan plate for awhile in the print run. But Ill check my copies to be sure...

I just checked about 10 different copies of this book on Comiclink and none of them seem to have this stain.

for what its worth, I think that blue splotch is common on many copies as a printing hickey that lasted on the cyan plate for awhile in the print run. But Ill check my copies to be sure...

I just checked about 10 different copies of this book on Comiclink and none of them seem to have this stain.

yeah..me too. And ebay. But it sure looked familiar! Maybe I was looking at the book on Comiclink at some point. sorry.

I'm looking at the 9.0 and 9.2 scans in Photoshop right now. I performed a series of bicubic resizes of the 9.2 scan to bring it a little closer to the size of the 9.0 scan. This works much better than a simple magnification or single step resize in most programs.

I'd still like to have a larger scan to work with, but the chipping at the top edge definitely appears to have been trimmed away.

ASM490Trim.jpg

ASM492Trim.jpg

Jason Ewert just got pwned! sumo.gif

Resizing

Now you should decide which resizing method to use. There are three different algorithms you can use: BilinearResize, BicubicResize and finally LanczosResize. They differ in how sharp the image is when resized. Sharper is much better quality visually but it is also harder to compress so you need to balance the sharpness with the final file size you want. However, a less sharp resize can hide imperfections in the video.

Bilinear Resize will give you smaller filesizes and on older anime that was shot on Film it is most likely the better choice. It does a little blurring so this makes it the ideal choice if you want to get as small an avi file as possible. If (like me) you find Bilinear to be too blurry, then you'll want to choose something sharper...

Bicubic Resize actually comes in various forms. The most common of these are Soft, Natural and Sharp. If you are going to go for a little extra sharpness then you'll want to do a soft bicubic resize. If you want sharpness, then you might as well do a Lanczos resize smile.gif On newer, digital shows which are much sharper and defined, a Soft Bicubic will most likely produce better looking results than Bilinear without loosing too much compressibility.

Lanczos Resize - excellent detail, but the sharpness comes at a price. However, if you use some filtering on your amv they can nicely balance each other out. Not always recommended for internet file encoding (without filtering at least) but great for other purposes (like resizing for cons etc)

You can perform all of these resizes in Virtualdub but if you are doing any other filtering it is best to do it all in Avisynth. This is especially true if you are working with YUV colourspace avi files.

To perform a Bilinear resize, add the following line to your avisynth -script:

BilinearResize(width,height)

The 8.5 was graded in June of 2004 and is no longer there (so it was resubmitted).

I honestly don't see any trimming on the front, but hard to tell. It seems to me what kept this book from grading higher is a slight tear on the the top back cover. If we had a scan of that on the CGC 9.2 it would be easier to tell if it was trimmed.

ASM #4

I'm still not convinced that was trimming. Note the little white color fleck over the M is still there in both pictures.

He could have pressed it and that made it look not as bad. Once again, the back cover would tell the picture.

Bicubic resize is simply a high quality resize algorithm in Photoshop that allows you to greatly expand the size of an image that does a much better job of maintaining image integrity than other techniques. It's especially effective if you use it in small increments (10 percent at a time is recommended by most pros) to achieve your eventual desired image size. This is often used to make large prints out of relatively low resolution photos. Works great for catching comic scammers too.

I'm still not convinced that was trimming. Note the little white color fleck over the M is still there in both pictures.

He could have pressed it and that made it look not as bad. Once again, the back cover would tell the picture.

Look again at the entire edge, Steve. There are fewer white color flecks in the 9.2 scan, and more web artwork. It's extremely minute, but it's (not) there!

Again, though, I agree that a larger scan along with the back cover would be more conclusive.

Resizing

Now you should decide which resizing method to use. There are three different algorithms you can use: BilinearResize, BicubicResize and finally LanczosResize. They differ in how sharp the image is when resized. Sharper is much better quality visually but it is also harder to compress so you need to balance the sharpness with the final file size you want. However, a less sharp resize can hide imperfections in the video.

Bilinear Resize will give you smaller filesizes and on older anime that was shot on Film it is most likely the better choice. It does a little blurring so this makes it the ideal choice if you want to get as small an avi file as possible. If (like me) you find Bilinear to be too blurry, then you'll want to choose something sharper...

Bicubic Resize actually comes in various forms. The most common of these are Soft, Natural and Sharp. If you are going to go for a little extra sharpness then you'll want to do a soft bicubic resize. If you want sharpness, then you might as well do a Lanczos resize smile.gif On newer, digital shows which are much sharper and defined, a Soft Bicubic will most likely produce better looking results than Bilinear without loosing too much compressibility.

Lanczos Resize - excellent detail, but the sharpness comes at a price. However, if you use some filtering on your amv they can nicely balance each other out. Not always recommended for internet file encoding (without filtering at least) but great for other purposes (like resizing for cons etc)

You can perform all of these resizes in Virtualdub but if you are doing any other filtering it is best to do it all in Avisynth. This is especially true if you are working with YUV colourspace avi files.

To perform a Bilinear resize, add the following line to your avisynth -script:

BilinearResize(width,height)

okay. I thought you were in photoshop. So how do all those algorythms compare to a simple photoshop resize plus an unsharp mask filter ? I can see that your program is mostly for dealing with blowing up and cleaning up video, which is really small and raw, right?

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look again at the entire edge, Steve. There are fewer white color flecks in the 9.2 scan, and more web artwork. It's extremely minute, but it's (not) there!

Again, though, I agree that a larger scan along with the back cover would be more conclusive.

I believe I stand corrected. It is also like he's not trimming the book as much as shaving off 1/128 or inch.

This one needs to be sent to Steve Borock.

This is really, really bad...........

frustrated.gif

If the ASM 8.5 and 9.2 are the same book then I suspect that time is no longer on CGC's side. The hurricane might have passed and we breathed a sigh of relief when inspecting the damage. However, we soon began to see the streets fill up with some water. Before long the city was completed flooded and the acusations were flying in all directions. I hope thay they are indeed different books or an explanation that satisfies us comes quickly.

If the ASM 8.5 and 9.2 are the same book then I suspect that time is no longer on CGC's side. The hurricane might have passed and we breathed a sigh of relief when inspecting the damage. However, we soon began to see the streets fill up with some water. Before long the city was completed flooded and the acusations were flying in all directions. I hope thay they are indeed different books or an explanation that satisfies us comes quickly.

If you're looking for an explanation other than "Look, another trimmed Ewert book," I think you're going to be disappointed.

BTW, that book was never sold on Pedigree. I pulled it off my site at least a month or so ago when this Ewert [embarrassing lack of self control] came out. If you guys have any idea how upset I am for this lowlife putting trimmed books on my site you'd be pretty shocked. He used my site (and I'm sure a couple of others besides Comiclink, HighGradeComics and ebay ) to "bury" these trimmed books and for that I will never forgive him. As I've said before, greed gets in the way of people's rationale thinking but this guy hurt so many people by his pig-like attitude of greed and lust for turning a comic book into $$ that it is absolutely unforgivable. When you go from pressing to trimming, you've crossed the line of tolerable practices and he got what he deserved. It just boggles the mind how selfish this F**K really is.

The good thing is that he only had 2 or 3 books from those submissions on my site (FF 10, ASM 4 and another one I can't remember at this point) and they all were deleted right away. I can proudly state that I do not have any Jason Ewert books on my site anymore!!

Also, if any person wants to know whether they have bought a book from me that came from Ewert, please email me and I will get back to you. That goes for any book bought since Pedigree was opened in June of last year. I stand by this and will truthfully divulge this info. so you can determine whether to send your book to CGC to have evaluated for trimming/restoration, etc.

Doug

BTW, that book was never sold on Pedigree. I pulled it off my site at least a month or so ago when this Ewert [embarrassing lack of self control] came out. If you guys have any idea how upset I am for this lowlife putting trimmed books on my site you'd be pretty shocked. He used my site (and I'm sure a couple of others besides Comiclink, HighGradeComics and ebay ) to "bury" these trimmed books and for that I will never forgive him. As I've said before, greed gets in the way of people's rationale thinking but this guy hurt so many people by his pig-like attitude of greed and lust for turning a comic book into $$ that it is absolutely unforgivable. When you go from pressing to trimming, you've crossed the line of tolerable practices and he got what he deserved. It just boggles the mind how selfish this F**K really is.

The good thing is that he only had 2 or 3 books from those submissions on my site (FF 10, ASM 4 and another one I can't remember at this point) and they all were deleted right away. I can proudly state that I do not have any Jason Ewert books on my site anymore!!

Also, if any person wants to know whether they have bought a book from me that came from Ewert, please email me and I will get back to you. That goes for any book bought since Pedigree was opened in June of last year. I stand by this and will truthfully divulge this info. so you can determine whether to send your book to CGC to have evaluated for trimming/restoration, etc.

Doug

thanks doug..................... thumbsup2.gif

figured you'd be totally pizzed off by this......................

Way to react Doug… a full Ewert Disclosure pledge dating back over a year!

Well done. We can only hope other big dealers will follow suit.

Doug