• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 3

2,686 posts in this topic

Also, I was under the impression that Jason was told/forced to leave the hobby to avoid legal action being brought against him. I figured he was going to do this but still am not sure what he hopes to accomplish.

Just curious, but how could that work? I mean, what would stop any individual customer from still filing a suit?

The next step is to start a new account but that will be hard to do because I'm sure once some 9.4-9.8 CGC slabs show up under some low feedback seller's auctions the clever folks will be all over it within a week.

He could just pop them out of the slabs and try to sell them raw under the radar at a loss just to dump them, maybe not even on ebay. Just a thought.

true...

he could also go to another dealer with a nice "get these off of my hands and i will give you a deep discount" offer.

either scenario spells...well, not doom necessarily, but a sharp weakening for HG SA and BA books in certain buying circles

Originally, Ewert was a real estate agent and did comics on the side. Since the CGC boom, Ewert came to be a full time dealer (perhaps he was in the past), so this was not a side hobby for him any longer.

Pardon me if this is well-known, but was Ewert a full-time dealer? Or was selling comics just a side-hobby type thing?

Catching up on the boards since I'm still on the road till Wednesday. First of all....I will be happy to design a No-Ewert Zone logo when I return. Good to hear from Doug, I liked his posts......you dealers should listen to us more!

Also, if Abrams is Hammer, I just figure this is part of his community service debt. I give him credit for a great catch, though!

As far as how this incident will change my collecting habits....it won't. I'll continue to try and preserve at least one pedigree collection from the pressers and trimmers.

Finally, I said this in another thread....but I'll say it again. I'm really proud to hang out with a bunch of guys like you smarties and techies and stat freaks.

Viva La Revolucion!

Red

PS.....I'll also say this once and STFU. I was dead right about the consecutive invoice forms! headbang.gif

Whether or not Jason completely leaves the hobby is to be seen, but I doubt he'll really leave it completely. Like comic-keys, Jason will go underground somewhere and somehow be willing to sell. There are enough shady dealers (and he probably still has enough friends) that once the heat dies down, somebody will be willing to sell his books. So, while he's certainly been damaged, this will not be the last we ever hear of Jason Ewert. That said, if he ever comes to a con, I doubt there'll be anyone who wants to sell him books, or be seen associating with him, as that will (rightfully or wrongfully) cast a shadow on those dealers who even associate with Jason.

I think he's hiding the names of his buyers so people don't try to contact them for information on the books.

That won't work… the names have already been secured.

Also, I was under the impression that Jason was told/forced to leave the hobby to avoid legal action being brought against him. I figured he was going to do this but still am not sure what he hopes to accomplish.

Originally, Ewert was a real estate agent and did comics on the side. Since the CGC boom, Ewert came to be a full time dealer (perhaps he was in the past), so this was not a side hobby for him any longer.

Pardon me if this is well-known, but was Ewert a full-time dealer? Or was selling comics just a side-hobby type thing?

He was a full-time dealer, then got his real-estate license and left the biz to make more money. He came back in when Ronin and Brulato formed VIA.

Tim,

Through the help of one of my consignors/buyers/fellow Dead Heads, I figured out the last Ewert book I had to yank from my site: the X-Men 3 9.4 off-white to white pages, CGC cert # 0703085002. Nice book but trimmed, I'm sure!

I hope this helps, Tim. I thought it was another FF so I'm going to check my entire database to see if an FF (besides the 10) comes up with a similar bar code and it came from Ewert.

Doug

Geez. Did you guys really have to wait until I got swamped at work and started falling behind on the boards to have the scandal to end all scandals? What timing. (First post in this thread: 8/19; last thread I had read in Comics General before this weekend: 8/15. Ya bums.)

So. I'm all caught up now. I've seen the good (Brad, Brian, and Bruce all run with this thing much further than anyone would have ever though; Doug Schmell stepping up and offering some great transparency with regard to Ewert sales on his site), the bad (Borock's non-response; confidence in CGC shaken to the core -- I mean, when sfilosa starts hyping a "crash," you know things are bad), and the ugly (way too damn many trimmed books ... way too damn many). And frankly, I'm still a bit numb.

All I can really think of is the phrase, "Welcome to my world." A lot of you buy CGCed books for the restoration check; that has been stated time and time again here by more members than I can count. I used to buy them primarily for the pedigree verification. That confidence was being slowly eaten away over the years as I saw blown pedigree after blown pedigree, until finally the whole San Francisco fiasco at the beginning of this year destroyed it entirely. Yes, destroyed it. I passed on the (purported) Edgar Church copy of a grail -- A GRAIL -- this past May because of this lack of confidence. And you know what? I don't regret it one bit.

So, please forgive me if I gloat just a bit, but welcome to my world.

Hopefully more of you now realize that CGC is but one tool in the arsenal afforded us collectors nowadays. It's a pretty decent tool -- in fact, some would say it's the best tool we currently have -- but it is far from being infallible.

Things need to change. I have notes, lots of ideas, and a week off from work. Let's get started.

Alan

PS.....I'll also say this once and STFU. I was dead right about the consecutive invoice forms! headbang.gif

And they tried to keep you down with insults when you did. Way to go Hook we need more guys like you willing to speak their mind instead of falling into the "he is such a nice guy" syndrome BS. thumbsup2.gif

Tim,

Through the help of one of my consignors/buyers/fellow Dead Heads, I figured out the last Ewert book I had to yank from my site: the X-Men 3 9.4 off-white to white pages, CGC cert # 0703085002. Nice book but trimmed, I'm sure!

I hope this helps, Tim. I thought it was another FF so I'm going to check my entire database to see if an FF (besides the 10) comes up with a similar bar code and it came from Ewert.

Doug

So you feel confident that this book was trimmed? Did you have it in your possesion or just a scan? Can you post a copy of the scan. I would be interested in trying to determine what grade it was originally (maybe from a old Heritage auction).

Thanks and dinners on me this week.....

Just curious, but how could that work? I mean, what would stop any individual customer from still filing a suit?

Nothing. confused-smiley-013.gif It will be interesting to see how many of the people who are sitting on Ewert books (all of which are now carrying the taint of having a Ewert invoice number) actually want to sue him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve,

Just a scan. I never got books from Ewert, just scans. I didn't know for sure if it was trimmed or not, I just knew it came from the same group he had consigned to me (FF 10 9.2, ASM 4 9.2 and X-Men 3 9.4). I suspect it was trimmed, though.

If I was as technologically advanced as you, I could probably track down the scan and post it, but i'm not quite that smart!! How about motivating me (dinner on you for 3 consecutive weeks, plus a Baskin-Robbins chocolate peanutbutter scoop for dessert!!).