• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

The only thing that is kinda extortiony is the different prices for different tiers. The notes are the notes regardless of what tier the consumer used to get the book graded.

If I pay $30 for some notes, there better be a little somethin somethin that goes with that email.

:whee:

Agreed. All notes are now $30. Thanks for the idea.

lol

I want specifics on my "somethin somethin" though.

A drop down menu will suffice.

:whee:

Wow! I created a thread with legs. I did a quick search on this topic before I started it so as to not get any Titanic sinking pics.

I would have paid for this info but $5 max. Book in question is a 2k comic.

I wonder if submitters can get free info?

Apparently, Grader's Notes are harder to transcribe on the more expensive books and therefore cost more to access.

Can the notes be resold to future buyers when it comes time to sell?

No, that would definitely be a commercial purpose.

That's what I figured. Now I know what to tell people when they try to sell this info down the line. I will show them my dog.

Wow! I created a thread with legs. I did a quick search on this topic before I started it so as to not get any Titanic sinking pics.

Apparently, Grader's Notes are harder to transcribe on the more expensive books and therefore cost more to access.

Yes, but since notes could be easily faked, only if they are signed, witnessed and encapsulated for an additional fee.

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

This makes me mad. I paid over $100 to get something graded and when it was resubbed I paid another $100 to get the grade it deserved. Now I have to pay $15 to determine this? That is pretty awful. Yeah, it's great to have the notes published (finally) but it was only a matter of time before CGC had to do something to support the grades they put on the books. TO have to pay an additiona sum to get this information seems very petty to me. 2c

I don't see how it is petty. If you pay for a service with a defined outcome (a graded and slabbed comic) are you necessarily entitled to all of the work product that goes into providing it?

I'm surprised we're even allowed to resell a slab.

Agreed. Effectively immediately, CGC is amending its Terms of Service. You are only granted a single, non-transferable license to the slab we have sent you. Transfer of title to said slab may only be effected by resubmission. CGC will then deliver a newly titled, singularly licensed, slab to the new owner.

Yes, but since notes could be easily faked, only if they are signed, witnessed and encapsulated for an additional fee.

lol

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

This is an amazing idea. Thank you.

Agreed. Effectively immediately, CGC is amending its Terms of Service. You are only granted a single, non-transferable license to the slab we have sent you. Transfer of title to said slab may only be effected by resubmission. CGC will then deliver a newly titled, singularly licensed, slab to the new owner.

You lawyers could learn a thing or two.

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

I am shocked that you would be here to defend this. Shocked.

Hint: Not everyone who calls for notes is looking to CPR a book.

I have no problem with this new paid feature. I concur with a previous comment about the CPR crowd will now have pay. I have played around with this new feature and it appears if the notes are not available, you are not offered the option. You can also ascertain what tier the book was submitted in by fee. I looked up some of my own submissions where I had previously called for notes and were told they were not available. Specifically, these books were submitted onsite. However, it appears the notes are now available and I can purchase the notes on these specific books. I am puzzled and plan on eventually asking CGC about this fact.

That is clever. It's nice to know your sense of humor hasn't been completely overriden by your pressing-carbon-into-diamond-tight bunghole.

I don't see how it is petty. If you pay for a service with a defined outcome (a graded and slabbed comic) are you necessarily entitled to all of the work product that goes into providing it?

a photographer doesn't give you the negs

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

Feel free to scream at me.

Photobucket

Maybe, but how much time do CGC employees spend reciting grader's notes for people looking for pressing candidates? I would guess it's significant.

I think the prices are excessive, but I don't object to CGC charging for notes. Cost of doing business, and all that.

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

Feel free to scream at me.

You are correct, Balls. See my post above on the exact same subject for tips on brevity, clarity and succinctness.

Photobucket

Maybe, but how much time do CGC employees spend reciting grader's notes for people looking for pressing candidates? I would guess it's significant.

I think the prices are excessive, but I don't object to CGC charging for notes. Cost of doing business, and all that.

You and I agree. Charging is fine. Some times I'd like the option of calling after hours for notes. This accomplishes that. But the amount and the tiers are ridiculous.

At the very least, the submitter should be able to get the notes for free.

+1

They've already paid to have the book graded. Why should they have to pay again?

Why would the submitter need the grader's notes? They had the book in their hands before they submitted it.

Why would they need a grade or a PQ designation? They had the book in hand before they submitted it.

There was a book on ebay I was thinking to bid on. But I said to myself; I should call CGC if there's anything wrong with the book. I called and gave them the CGC number and they told me it has writing on the back cover. Of course I did not bid on the book.

That's why I need grader notes.