• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I am probably in the minority here but I am curious if this bothers anyone else.

The costume.

I have to say I think that the costume looks incredible from the trailers I have seen BUT...

it just doesn't look like it was made by a kid who is in high school that has no experience sewing and has no understanding how materials stretch/ ply and has very little budget because he is poor.

Neither of these look like they were made by Peter Parker high school geek. I know he is brilliant and can figure stuff out, but I just don't see it made by him:

spidey-costumes_zps06714c89.jpg

And this design is way out there:

spider-man-costume-1_zps8295011d.jpg

Yeah I am aware this is being ultra nit-picky, but it is a level of attention to detail that I find is missing in movies. I feel different if they take the time to show Peter obtaining materials for cheap, then perhaps cutting out a piece of plastic for his eye shape and then using some hotglue to secure it onto a mask that is on a Styrofoam head and drawing lines on the costume with a sharpie.

Show me how Peter makes the costume on a budget of less than a few hundred bucks.

That's really nitpicking. I thought the suit was the best it's looked in any of the movies.

Sure, a HS kid couldn't make it...but then again it's unrealistic to think he would become a superhero by being bit by a spider. Suspend disbelief.... :)

I am probably in the minority here but I am curious if this bothers anyone else.

The costume.

I have to say I think that the costume looks incredible from the trailers I have seen BUT...

it just doesn't look like it was made by a kid who is in high school that has no experience sewing and has no understanding how materials stretch/ ply and has very little budget because he is poor.

Neither of these look like they were made by Peter Parker high school geek. I know he is brilliant and can figure stuff out, but I just don't see it made by him:

spidey-costumes_zps06714c89.jpg

And this design is way out there:

spider-man-costume-1_zps8295011d.jpg

Yeah I am aware this is being ultra nit-picky, but it is a level of attention to detail that I find is missing in movies. I feel different if they take the time to show Peter obtaining materials for cheap, then perhaps cutting out a piece of plastic for his eye shape and then using some hotglue to secure it onto a mask that is on a Styrofoam head and drawing lines on the costume with a sharpie.

Show me how Peter makes the costume on a budget of less than a few hundred bucks.

That's really nitpicking. I thought the suit was the best it's looked in any of the movies.

Sure, a HS kid couldn't make it...but then again it's unrealistic to think he would become a superhero by being bit by a spider. Suspend disbelief.... :)

I can't disagree with you, the suit looks amazing in the movie. I just would like to see a mere minute of time in a movie like this showing us how Peter makes the suit. A small bit showing him measuring patterns, laying things out, designing webshooters, etc. I would rather see a minute of that than some silly scene where he puts on a fireman hat. They are willing to take the time to show us scenes where Peter delivers pizzas for money, buys flowers..sorry a flower because he can't afford a bunch, clearly the message is he is poor, yet the suit he wears costs several thousand dollars to manufacture.

Check out this vid of a professional costume builder manufacturing a replica Spiderman suit.

Yes very nit-picky and I admit it, but these kind of details are important in a movie in my opinion.

Yeah I can just assume Peter does all of this. (thumbs u

Perhaps that is why I like Batman Begins. Time is taken to show the viewer testing, designing, purchasing, modification to arrive at the costume.

Monetarily it didn't do so good. Estimates are coming in at between 90-92 million for the weekend. Weaker than Cap 2's opening weekend of 95+. If we expect a 50% loss on second weekend and an even bigger drop the following weekends (Godzilla and X-Men are going to destroy) then the movie will be lucky to break $250 million, if that. Not a strong sign, given the budget + Marketing costs.

correct. given the $425MM+ production and marketing costs, will not break even on BO receipts even if it does $550MM Int'l.

Where is that $425 MM production and marketing cost coming from?

UPDATED BOX OFFICE: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Casts $92M Web; ‘The Other Woman’ Holding Strong; ‘Rio2′ Passes $100M

The production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $185M-$190M spent on marketing. That means all in it needs to make well over $752.2M worldwide (which is what the first installment grossed). About 65% of that came internationally.

Does that mean in addition to the $255 MM + $185-190 MM?

yes

OMG!

Financially, this may be Sony's lesson learned for not focusing more on a stronger story.

ASM 2 topped by Neighbors at the box office this weekend, link.

When it comes to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 it has crossed $400 million internationally, but domestically it fell 59% to $37 million this weekend. Not exactly the best news for Sony, Captain America: The Winter Soldier fell 56.6% in its second weekend, though it also opened a little higher than Spider-Man 2. No matter what, this film is still going to be successful, but Sony is going to have to take a long hard look at what they are doing with this franchise if they want to beef up momentum for their expanded, Spider-Man universe.

The only thing that can fix this mess for SONY now is a Daniel Craig Bond movie, riding the momentum of Skyfall. That one will have to cost and gross like Thunderball, for them not to whine about the state of their company like they did at the end of 2012.

I hope ASM 2 crashes and burns so that they don't get rewarded for putting out a junk product.

It's not difficult to put out a quality product. Marvel is proof of that.

I hope ASM 2 crashes and burns so that they don't get rewarded for putting out a junk product.

I'm still waiting.

well, it's going to pass Cap: Winter Soldier for WW BO but the problem for Sony is the cost involved. $425-450mm all in to reap $750mm WW BO versus $300mm all in on Cap for $725mm. No contest which is more profitable and justifies a sequel.

Ironically, SONY is watching the Godzilla they should have made in '98 getting ready to stomp their little wannabe summer tent-pole spider. Whether he has the 'legs" to make it to $220 million or not, isn't really the issue now. It's how they are gonna lock in a visionary filmmaker (think James Cameron) to get this franchise going steady again because it's gonna take a lot to make this character fresh again to the mainstream.

I saw it this weekend and it was horrible.

By far the worst super-hero movie

I've seen in the last 3 years.

Spider-Man/Peter Parker had more crying scenes then

action scenes.

It felt more like a chic flick about Spider-Man and his feelings

then a comic book action movie.

Just terrible.

Ouch!

I don't like to wish a comic book-influenced movie to fail. But I also sure don't want to see a poorly delivered one as it also hurts the cinema potential of other comic characters.

From much of the feedback, it sounds like Sony needed to learn a little with this one. I'll still rent it when it comes out just to see.

action scenes.

Just terrible.

wow, worse than Iron Man 3? That was horrible.

action scenes.

Just terrible.

wow, worse than Iron Man 3? That was horrible.

The Iron Man 3 trailers looked so bad that I actually didn't see it so Spider-Man 2 is the worst super hero movie I've seen in the last 3 years.

The Iron Man 3 trailers looked so bad that I actually didn't see it so Spider-Man 2 is the worst super hero movie I've seen in the last 3 years.

I think if you see IM3, you will find like most that it's an enjoyable, well-made film. Nothing special, about a CGC 7.5.

The growing consensus to those that have seen ASM2 is that, despite certain high points (e.g., the CGI scenes of Spidey web-slinging; the Peter-Gwen relationship), overall the movie is just flat and lifeless with essentially no story. I really didn't care what happened to Richard Parker; I already knew Oscorp had something to do with it. And I also know Oscorp is directly responsible for every costumed bad guy in NYC. So it's Spidey versus Oscorp. And no MJ; no JJJJ, and no Flash or good Harry. Plus stupid villain costumes.

Agree - as good as Captain America was, this was the polar opposite, it was so bad. :eyeroll: