• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Because I pretty much watch all superhero movies even yes the horrific dark knight ones

It was bad. Not Daredevil bad, but in a way worse because of the nonsense science and computer voiceover....yeah they're housing electric eels to generate power for the city.....now that's GREEN, baby.....

lol

Thought it was decent but too ambitious...they could've just focused on one villain (the Green Goblin storyline) and made it seem less scattered. Seemed like two movies crammed into one.

It was bad. Not Daredevil bad, but in a way worse because of the nonsense science and computer voiceover....yeah they're housing electric eels to generate power for the city.....now that's GREEN, baby.....

lol

Thought it was decent but too ambitious...they could've just focused on one villain (the Green Goblin storyline) and made it seem less scattered. Seemed like two movies crammed into one.

Actually your right on this. The best part of the movie was the Harry Osborn parts. The Electro parts did seem like the only reason why he was in it was because of Jamie Foxx wanted to play in a Spider-Man movie like Richard Pryor wanted to play in Superman 3. The good news is for people who haven`t seen this is Harry Osborn/Green Goblin has a much bigger role in this then Electro, and much more screen time.

The trailers failed to show this.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

lol

Actually your right on this. The best part of the movie was the Harry Osborn parts. The Electro parts did seem like the only reason why he was in it was because of Jamie Foxx wanted to play in a Spider-Man movie like Richard Pryor wanted to play in Superman 3. The good news is for people who haven`t seen this is The Harry Osborn/Green Goblin has a much bigger role in this then Electro, and much more screen time.

The trailers failed to show this.

Yea I feel like it would have been a much better movie if they cut Electro entirely. It would have given them more time to focus on the dynamic of the Harry/Peter relationship, and made it flow a lot better.

I wonder if it was a studio decision or a Webb decision. I imagine it was Sony yet again trying to stuff too much in a film.

I've tried very hard to forget this movie but every time I visit Comic General this thread some how keeps popping up and reminding me that this movie exists. Noooooooo!! :ohnoez:

What`s strange is two superhero movies I did like better then ASM 2 that I reviewed threads got less views and responses then this Spider-Man thread combined. hm

X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST review.

CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER review.

Yes, I enjoyed both CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST better then ASM 2. (thumbs u

What I think happened for such heated debate was more then a few people can`t wait for Marvel to get back the rights to Spider-Man, and that has sort of developed a bias against Sony`s ASM franchise. :o

I will say it again ASM 2 was an enjoyable flick in my opinion.

Was it at CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST level? No.

It was better though then a lot of movies I have seen this year.

My criteria is I like to be entertained and not bored.

ASM 2 did that.

I look forward to the Venom and Sinister Six movies. :)

I've tried very hard to forget this movie but every time I visit Comic General this thread some how keeps popping up and reminding me that this movie exists. Noooooooo!! :ohnoez:

What`s strange is two superhero movies I did like better then ASM 2 that I reviewed threads got less views and responses then this Spider-Man thread combined. hm

Yes, I enjoyed both CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST better then ASM 2. (thumbs u

What I think happened for such heated debate was more then a few people can`t wait for Marvel to get back the rights to Spider-Man, and that has sort of developed a bias against Sony`s ASM franchise. :o

Was it at CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST level? No.

ASM 2 did that.

The problem with ASM 1 and ASM 2 is they had the plot and storyline of a Saturday morning cartoon. They dumbed down the villain's and Spider-Man's origin (Oscorp did it!) to make it easier for a kid to understand and follow. And then they had Spider-Man do dumb things like wearing a fireman's hat. :facepalm: I like Saturday morning cartoons just fine, but I don't expect to go to the theater and be paying for them.

What happened is that there is a centuries-old bias against suckage. I will say this again ... the more time passes, the more history will judge ASM2 as a bad superhero film.

lol

I feel like they could've kept Electro and the GG and made it a great movie. They should've cut the Rhino altogether. Instead of introducing Harry as the GG, just build up Peter and Harry's relationship throughout this movie, which would allow more time for them to flesh out Electro's story. Then something could've happened which would allow them to introduce the GG as the main villain in ASM 3. I don't know why they packed so many villains and big fighting scenes for this movie.

ASM 2 did that.

The problem with ASM 1 and ASM 2 is they had the plot and storyline of a Saturday morning cartoon. They dumbed down the villain's and Spider-Man's origin (Oscorp did it!) to make it easier for a kid to understand and follow. And then they had Spider-Man do dumb things like wearing a fireman's hat. :facepalm: I like Saturday morning cartoons just fine, but I don't expect to go to the theater and be paying for them.

What were you expecting a Dark Knight?

Spider-Man`s never been dark like Batman has been in comics these last 25 years.

There is no Killing Joke, Batman Year One or Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel for Spider-Man.

Name me one Spider-Man comic arc that was at that serious dark adult level these last 25 years that Sony could have used as a guide?

Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man?

lol

I feel like they could've kept Electro and the GG and made it a great movie. They should've cut the Rhino altogether. Instead of introducing Harry as the GG, just build up Peter and Harry's relationship throughout this movie, which would allow more time for them to flesh out Electro's story. Then something could've happened which would allow them to introduce the GG as the main villain in ASM 3. I don't know why they packed so many villains and big fighting scenes for this movie.

Yep, Rhino did look ridiculous. I will give you that, plus really why have him in the movie if it was for only like 15 minutes? hm (They want to sell Rhino action figures?)

For Spider-Man to succeed in the future at an Ironman or Batman level they have to focus on serious villains like Green Goblin, Venom, Carnage and Kraven. Unfortunately campy villains like Rhino, Electro and the Lizard just don`t translate well on the big screen and look hokey to modern audiences.

What happened is that there is a centuries-old bias against suckage. I will say this again ... the more time passes, the more history will judge ASM2 as a bad superhero film.

Well, people said the same about the Flash Gordon movie when it came out, and now it`s considered a cult classic. lol

a sniper would have taken out the ridiculous rhino in a heartbeat

That`s the thing we have been hearing all these years, as how great Spider-Man rogue`s gallery is. I don`t see it. Except for a few we find most of them don`t translate well into the modern era, especially in live-action movies. The key is the Green Goblin. Just like the best Batman stories always involve the Joker. They should have focused the whole ASM 2 movie on Green Goblin. I will find it interesting how the Spider-Man franchise will move forward. There have been 5 Spider-Man movies now, and frankly what can be done for Spider-Man in the future? What can they do to make Spider-Man more interesting to modern audiences?

Maybe Kraven?

That's a real good question. The new Spiderman does not have the dynamic of JJ Jameson. He does not have a spider sense. He's not a loser in regular life. He interacts with very few people. They tossed out many things that made him interesting and went with the formula superhero. It's not working. Like the guy said, it's saturday morning cartoon stuff.

That`s the thing we have been hearing all these years as how great Spider-Man rogue`s gallery is. I don`t see it. Except for a few we find most of them don`t translate well into modern era, especially in live-action movies. The key is the Green Goblin. Just like the best Batman stories always involve the Joker. They should have focused the whole ASM 2 movie on Green Goblin. I will find it interesting how the Spider-Man franchise will move forward. There have been 5 Spider-Man movies now, and frankly what can be done in them for the future? What can they do to make Spider-Man more interesting to modern audiences?

Maybe Kraven?

Spider-man's rogues gallery is second to none. Any filmmaker handed this rogues gallery should be able to basically phone it in and make at least a decent film. For Sony to have failed this epically with the last three films only serves to highlight their profound ineptitude. Making Oscorp the puppet master behind these villains, and ignoring their actual origins, is a huge component of this failure. It should be no surprise that the last good film, Spider-man 2, stuck quite closely to Ock's origin and as a result we got a great villain.

That`s the thing we have been hearing all these years as how great Spider-Man rogue`s gallery is. I don`t see it. Except for a few we find most of them don`t translate well into modern era, especially in live-action movies. The key is the Green Goblin. Just like the best Batman stories always involve the Joker. They should have focused the whole ASM 2 movie on Green Goblin. I will find it interesting how the Spider-Man franchise will move forward. There have been 5 Spider-Man movies now, and frankly what can be done in them for the future? What can they do to make Spider-Man more interesting to modern audiences?

Maybe Kraven?

Spider-man's rogues gallery is second to none. Any filmmaker handed this rogues gallery should be able to basically phone it in and make at least a decent film. For Sony to have failed this epically with the last three films only serves to highlight their profound ineptitude. Making Oscorp the puppet master behind these villains, and ignoring their actual origins, is a huge component of this failure. It should be no surprise that the last good film, Spider-man 2, stuck quite closely to Ock's origin and as a result we got a great villain.

Doc Ock is great, but not Rhino or Electro.

Also it could be debated that Batman and the X-Men have just a good rogues gallery as Spidey.

With Mysterio they could delve into the psychological aspects of the character's powers and make a good villain ala Hannibal Lecter not the cardboard cutouts we've been getting.