• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

With Mysterio they could delve into the psychological aspects of the character's powers and make a good villain ala Hannibal Lecter not the cardboard cutouts we've been getting.

I like that idea, also here is a good villain that might be good if they went the way your suggesting.

406px-Chameleon442.jpg

I honestly don`t think they will go that way because I bet Disney is pressuring them to sell action figures.

I bet they would sell more cardboard cutouts types of villains like Rhino and Electro action figures then Mysterio, and Chameleon action figures. That`s something we got to take into consideration. The money aspect of licensing.

I've tried very hard to forget this movie but every time I visit Comic General this thread some how keeps popping up and reminding me that this movie exists. Noooooooo!! :ohnoez:

What`s strange is two superhero movies I did like better then ASM 2 that I reviewed threads got less views and responses then this Spider-Man thread combined. hm

X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST review.

CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER review.

Yes, I enjoyed both CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST better then ASM 2. (thumbs u

What I think happened for such heated debate was more then a few people can`t wait for Marvel to get back the rights to Spider-Man, and that has sort of developed a bias against Sony`s ASM franchise. :o

I will say it again ASM 2 was an enjoyable flick in my opinion.

Was it at CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST level? No.

It was better though then a lot of movies I have seen this year.

My criteria is I like to be entertained and not bored.

ASM 2 did that.

I look forward to the Venom and Sinister Six movies. :)

The problem with ASM 1 and ASM 2 is they had the plot and storyline of a Saturday morning cartoon. They dumbed down the villain's and Spider-Man's origin (Oscorp did it!) to make it easier for a kid to understand and follow. And then they had Spider-Man do dumb things like wearing a fireman's hat. :facepalm: I like Saturday morning cartoons just fine, but I don't expect to go to the theater and be paying for them.

What were you expecting a Dark Knight?

Spider-Man`s never been dark like Batman has been in comics these last 25 years.

There is no Killing Joke, Batman Year One or Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel for Spider-Man.

Name me one Spider-Man comic arc that was at that serious dark adult level these last 25 years that Sony could have used as a guide?

Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man?

I agree with you, to a point. Kraven's last hunt is still up there with these. Kraven had no super-powers, and was able to capture, and easily could have killed Spidey if he wanted. Kraven is the go-to guy in my mind.

Jay

They're killing the golden goose. Make your characters dumb enough and no one wants the action figs.

I've tried very hard to forget this movie but every time I visit Comic General this thread some how keeps popping up and reminding me that this movie exists. Noooooooo!! :ohnoez:

What I think happened for such heated debate was more then a few people can`t wait for Marvel to get back the rights to Spider-Man, and that has sort of developed a bias against Sony`s ASM franchise. :o

I can't speak for everyone but me personally, I have nothing against who's making the films or care much about which studio has rights to what property. Although I haven't seen the Tobey Spiderm-Man films since they initially came out, I remember enjoying them a lot. Albeit, I was sixteen at the time Spider-Man 2 came out (holly hell time flies) and I don't know how I would feel about those early Spider-Man films today after the bar has been raised by so many other great superhero films since then. I didn't think ASM 1 was terrible either, I felt that was a movie they had to make in order to set up the new Spider-Man franchise and looked past the repetitive story line but with ASM 2 they did the same exact thing. They didn't focus on the present narrative and built the film around setting up the next installment. I'm all for expanding the Spider-Man universe but their execution of it was just horrible. A good example of this would be how Marvel used Iron Man 2 to showcase SHIELD in order to begin their expansion and DC used Man of Steel, IM2 and MOS weren't the best of films either but they were much better than ASM 2.

Edited by Kal-El

What`s strange is two superhero movies I did like better then ASM 2 that I reviewed threads got less views and responses then this Spider-Man thread combined. hm

Yes, I enjoyed both CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST better then ASM 2. (thumbs u

Was it at CAPTAIN AMERICA:WINTER SOLDIER and X--MEN : DAYS OF FUTURE PAST level? No.

ASM 2 did that.

The problem with ASM 1 and ASM 2 is they had the plot and storyline of a Saturday morning cartoon. They dumbed down the villain's and Spider-Man's origin (Oscorp did it!) to make it easier for a kid to understand and follow. And then they had Spider-Man do dumb things like wearing a fireman's hat. :facepalm: I like Saturday morning cartoons just fine, but I don't expect to go to the theater and be paying for them.

Spider-Man`s never been dark like Batman has been in comics these last 25 years.

There is no Killing Joke, Batman Year One or Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel for Spider-Man.

Name me one Spider-Man comic arc that was at that serious dark adult level these last 25 years that Sony could have used as a guide?

WHAT???

Batman's parents were killed when he was a kid. Spidey's Uncle Ben was killed while he was a teenager. Both dark events.

Batman's motivated by revenge. Spider-man by guilt. That guilt brought on by his OWN failure to act in being able to have SAVED his Uncle Ben himself by apprehending his killer before the murder.

He can NEVER make right HIS mistake. HIS mistake.

He's indirectly (in his mind) responsible for the death of the only father figure he ever knew.

That's pretty freaking dark.

All through the Silver Age this was explored and played upon in numerous ways... Peter's neurosis from this highly traumatic event, undiagnosed (because no one else knew what happen) and unnamed, is nevertheless a constant source of stories - from Mysterio driving him to the verge of insanity to fear of the Green Goblin 'exposing' his identity (i.e. The mask is actually disguising his role in Uncle Ben's death)....

There's SO much dark to explore in this character...

ASM 2 did that.

WHAT???

Batman's parents were killed when he was a kid. Spidey's Uncle Ben was killed while he was a teenager. Both dark events.

Batman's motivated by revenge. Spider-man by guilt. That guilt brought on by his OWN failure to act in being able to have SAVED his Uncle Ben himself by apprehending his killer before the murder.

He's indirectly (in his mind) responsible for the death of the only father figure he ever knew.

All through the Silver Age this was explored and played upon in numerous ways... Peter's neurosis from this highly traumatic event, undiagnosed (because no one else knew what happen) and unnamed, is nevertheless a constant source of stories - from Mysterio driving him to the verge of insanity to fear of the Green Goblin 'exposing' his identity (i.e. The mask is actually disguising his role in Uncle Ben's death)....

I agree, if they would've have explored the dark with regards to Uncle Ben. Not the parents, which aren't that big of an event in Peter's life compared to Ben.

ASM 2 did that.

Are you kidding or serious? (shrug)

A movie is either at the Saturday morning cartoon story level or the Dark Knight darkness level? I'm not even sure what you are comparing here?

If you have watched some of the superheroes on Saturday morning, you would recognize a pattern. They like to simplify the storyline so the kids "get it." They simplify things for the kids. For example, one Avengers cartoon had all the Avengers wearing Iron Man armor. An Iron Man cartoon series had every villain he fought be related back to the Mandarin. They did the same thing with the Teen Titans but the villain was Deathstroke. Not every superhero cartoon does this, but many do. Both ASM 1 and ASM 2 have a very Saturday morning cartoon vibe to them. They have set things up so every villain Peter Parker face be created by Oscorp. It's lazy.

Edited by rjrjr

Because I pretty much watch all superhero movies even yes the horrific dark knight ones

I like to watch all the superhero movies too. (thumbs u

Although I didn't find the Dark Knight ones bad. The first one was okay, but I thought the last 2 were really good.

ASM 2 did that.

WHAT???

Didn't Peter Parker die and get replaced by one of his villains in a recent storyline? hm

Latest box office results:

ASM2 definitely succeeded across the international market, while domestically it has not been able to break $200 MM (the lowest domestic results for the franchise).

kDmjlHd.png

SLjOv4s.png

Latest box office results:

ASM2 definitely succeeded across the international market, while domestically it has not been able to break $200 MM (the lowest domestic results for the franchise).

kDmjlHd.png

SLjOv4s.png

And if you take into account adjustments for inflation, and the first two movies not having the inflated ticket prices of IMAX or 3D, it's mind boggling to see how much more successful those first two film were especially, than these last two.

I would give the movie a B-. I much preferred Toby as Peter Parker, but this second movie was an okay presentation of Ultimate Spiderman.

I liked it more than the first ASM, which I felt was sub-par, say a C-.

I'd be curious to know how valuable the international revenues are compared to the domestic revenues. I know that the studio generally gets a smaller cut of the international revenues, but I've never seen good numbers on how much smaller.

Is this movie successful because of those revenues or not?

I would give the movie a B-. I much preferred Toby as Peter Parker, but this second movie was an okay presentation of Ultimate Spiderman.

I'd be curious to know how valuable the international revenues are compared to the domestic revenues. I know that the studio generally gets a smaller cut of the international revenues, but I've never seen good numbers on how much smaller.

Considering the fact that this film was essentially a stepping stone for the next film and its intention being to get everyone excited about the Spidey-Universe, I don't think the studio can consider it a success in that aspect. I wouldn't pay to watch another one of these films and I think a lot of people share that sentiment. Financially, even though it hasn't broken 200 million domestically (pretty bad) the total gross of 700 million + can't be considered a complete failure.

Considering the fact that this film was essentially a stepping stone for the next film and its intention being to get everyone excited about the Spidey-Universe, I don't think the studio can consider it a success in that aspect. I wouldn't pay to watch another one of these films and I think a lot of people share that sentiment. Financially, even though it hasn't broken 200 million domestically (pretty bad) the total gross of 700 million + can't be considered a complete failure.

I agree, plus this is a good deal for Marvel/Disney where as Marvel/Disney get the merchandising rights to action figures and whatever stuff that has Spidey`s mug on it, while on the other hand the X-Men deal is disastrous for Marvel/Disney because Fox won`t share any profits.

So going forward Spider-Man is much more profitable as a franchise for Marvel then X-Men is.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

i've read that roughly 25% of China's BO goes to the studio.

I would as well. One thing to keep in mind is these superhero movies are a much different beast then let`s say a movie like Dallas Buyers Club or Neighbors in that there are thousands of products that get tied to these superhero movies that get sold. So when we look at ASM 2 box office figures there is so much more to it then that. With movies like Neighbors I am pretty sure they didn`t make Neighbors video games and action figures.