• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

It's funny how all the traditional flagship (Superman, Spider-Man) superheros are not faring as well as the more realistic superheros (i.e Batman, Captain America, Iron Man). Iron Man was a comic that had poor sales for a long time. Too bad Marvel hasn't planned a DD film yet.

It's funny how all the traditional flagship (Superman, Spider-Man) superheros are not faring as well as the more realistic superheros (i.e Batman, Captain America, Iron Man). Iron Man was a comic that had poor sales for a long time. Too bad Marvel hasn't planned a DD film yet.

I think it`s the Superman and Spider-Man costumes that have something to do with it. They don`t look right in live action movies. Iron Man looks cool and realistic in live-action movies.

They definitely should go back to the black costume for ASM3.

300px-Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_252.jpg

I would give the movie a B-. I much preferred Toby as Peter Parker, but this second movie was an okay presentation of Ultimate Spiderman.

I liked it more than the first ASM, which I felt was sub-par, say a C-.

I'd be curious to know how valuable the international revenues are compared to the domestic revenues. I know that the studio generally gets a smaller cut of the international revenues, but I've never seen good numbers on how much smaller.

Is this movie successful because of those revenues or not?

I would as well. One thing to keep in mind is these superhero movies are a much different beast then let`s say a movie like Dallas Buyers Club or Neighbors in that there are thousands of products that get tied to these superhero movies that get sold. So when we look at ASM 2 box office figures there is so much more to it then that. With movies like Neighbors I am pretty sure they didn`t make Neighbors video games and action figures.

Sony SOLD the merchandising rights to Spider-man, so it has no effect on the profitability of the movie for them.

If they get 25% of the International Box Office and 100% of the U.S. Box Office, that puts the revenues at $325 Million.

With a budget of $300 Million (estimated, they're afraid to even say what it cost) and a HUGE advertising and promotional budget that had to be in the $150 Million range, this movie is just east of being a financial disaster.

The studio is UNHAPPY. The future of what they're going to do with this franchise is uncertain.

The moves they are making now are tentative.

You can try justifying it, but the fact is Sony laid a turd, and no one there is quite sure how to clean it up.

They turned this franchise into a gold foil die cut cover. Comic Book fans might be dumb enough to buy that garbage, but movie goers apparently aren't.

I actually enjoyed the video game. lol

Better then the ASM 2 movie? I haven`t played it yet. I do hear that Kraven had a big role in the video game?

The storyline was still cluttered with a lot of villains like the movie, but Kraven did have a big part. Carnage was in there too.

My understanding is that they generally get just over 50% of the domestic box office.

If they only get 25% of the international box office then they probably aren't doing great with this movie.

If they get 25% of the International Box Office and 100% of the U.S. Box Office, that puts the revenues at $325 Million.

Really, you actually believe a studio receives 100% of the domestic box office?

It's Magic Accounting!

My understanding is that they generally get just over 50% of the domestic box office.

If they only get 25% of the international box office then they probably aren't doing great with this movie.

The closest estimates I've seen are 50-55% for domestic and 30-33% for international, although the last one can be lower due to exchange rates, higher distro costs in some countries and rampant fraud.

Some countries you might get 40% while others you would be lucky to see 15%. lol

It's Magic Accounting!

They have to split a percentage with the theaters for certain, I'm not sure of the others but there are definitely more. I don't think there is anyway they receive a 100% of the domestic box office total.

It's Magic Accounting!

They have to split a percentage with the theaters for certain, I'm not sure of the others but there are definitely more. I don't think there is anyway they receive a 100% of the domestic box office total.

back in the old days, you would just take the WW box office and divide by two to get a pretty good estimate of the studio's take. now, it's probably better to use 55% of domestic and 40% of int'l.

We could see 'ASM2' finally break the $200 MM domestic box office barrier this weekend. As of Thursday's results, it is right on the cusp. It just needs another $523,000 and it is there.

The movie has been adding about $120K daily, so it may just take Friday through Sunday's results to put it over the top.

bDkvdUR.png

MMkrtFF.png

We could see 'ASM2' finally break the $200 MM domestic box office barrier this weekend. As of Thursday's results, it is right on the cusp. It just needs another $523,000 and it is there.

The movie has been adding about $120K daily, so it may just take Friday through Sunday's results to put it over the top.

bDkvdUR.png

MMkrtFF.png

Fantastic. It reminded me of Babylon 5. US audience was dismally low but International audience kept the show running

Right now the three biggest worldwide box office movies of 2014 are super hero movies! :cloud9:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier = Worldwide: $710,690,000.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 = Worldwide: $702,782,000.

X-Men: Days of Future Past = Worldwide: $692,066,000.

Anybody still want to say people are sick of super hero movies, and it`s just a fad?

The whole wide world loves super heroes.

Marvel super heroes.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created an empire the likes that can only be matched by George Lucas and Star Wars!

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

people went thru a western phase, a cop phase, now it's superhero movies

Right now the three biggest worldwide box office movies of 2014 are super hero movies! :cloud9:

Anybody still want to say people are sick of super hero movies, and it`s just a fad?

Marvel super heroes.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created an empire the likes that can only be matched by George Lucas and Star Wars!

i'm sick of terrible super hero movies; luckily, 2 of the 3 on the list were pretty good. of course, when Transformers blows past these by $300MM, what will that say about the taste of the worldwide movie viewing audience?

Marvel super heroes.

If you look at last years top foreign movies, this years movies are coming up way short:

Frozen $1,259,103,000

Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994

Despicable Me 2 $970,761,885

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug $958,366,855

Hunger Games: Catching Fire $864,565,663

Fast & Furious 6 $788,679,850

Monster University $743,559,607

Gravity $716,392,705

Similar results when you compare to 2012 too:

The Avengers $1,518,594,910

Skyfall $1,108,561,013

The Dark Knight Rises $1,084,439,099

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017,003,568

Ice Age: Continental Drift $877,244,782

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2 $829,685,377

Amazing Spider-Man $757,930,663

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $746,921,274

Domestically, no movie so far from 2014 is even a top 8 movie in 2013 *or* 2012. I'm sure the studios are pleased with those results. Studios love making less money year over year on movies, but spending more for that privilege. lol

Hopefully the next half of 2014 sees some movies that can contend with 2013 and 2012. To be fair, most of the top foreign movies have come in the later half of the year. This year so far, the movies have all been pretty muted when it comes to big box office numbers.

Marvel super heroes.

If you look at last years top foreign movies, this years movies are coming up way short:

Frozen $1,259,103,000

Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994

Despicable Me 2 $970,761,885

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug $958,366,855

Hunger Games: Catching Fire $864,565,663

Fast & Furious 6 $788,679,850

Monster University $743,559,607

Gravity $716,392,705

Similar results when you compare to 2012 too:

The Avengers $1,518,594,910

Skyfall $1,108,561,013

The Dark Knight Rises $1,084,439,099

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017,003,568

Ice Age: Continental Drift $877,244,782

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2 $829,685,377

Amazing Spider-Man $757,930,663

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $746,921,274

Domestically, no movie so far from 2014 is even a top 8 movie in 2013 *or* 2012. I'm sure the studios are pleased with those results. Studios love making less money year over year on movies, but spending more for that privilege. lol

Good thing for superhero movies this year, as imagine how poor the box office would have been without them?