• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
55 55

8,665 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2024 at 1:50 PM, Corona smith said:

Low ball offers are annoying. You could be proactive and set minimum best offer requirements avoiding the annoyance. Though you can’t set a minimum on counteroffers. 

I have thousands of listings and list hundreds more a month. That would only slow me down to have to do one additional step for each listing.

Posted (edited)

People DM me even on books I don't have "make offer" set on.  I'll sometimes engage, but I really, really don't like it when they do much haggling.  If I wanted to take offers, I'd set offers on! (shrug)

It's simply a matter of course for many flippers to squeeze as hard as they can, and the fact that interaction across a keyboard often eliminates politeness, etiquette, and good sense doesn't help matters much.

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 8:58 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Case in point, I just blocked alize2184 for making a $20 offer on a $200 item.

Bye-bye, m0r0n!

Are you sure it's a $200 item? Because I regularly see eBay sellers listing for ten times their fair market value. (I usually don't bother to make offers if the price is more than twice the fair market value, but occasionally I will. I've had offers around 40% of the asking price accepted—rarely.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/3/2024 at 11:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are you sure it's a $200 item? Because I regularly see eBay sellers listing for ten times their fair market value. (I usually don't bother to make offers if the price is more than twice the fair market value, but occasionally I will. I've had offers around 40% of the asking price accepted—rarely.)

I didn't preemptively explain this because I figured people would assume I know what I'm doing. Thanks a LOT, Jimbo. :50849494_winkemoji::50849494_winkemoji::50849494_winkemoji:

When I price items, I do an eBay search for the exact item (similar condition as well as far as comics & cards) and sort by "lowest price." Then I price my item lower than that (I'm not running a museum here). In this exact case it was a NECA Planet of the Apes figure from the first of the newer movies. It was the rarest of the figures they released (Luca), loose but NM condition and complete. Not many were available, and mine was the lowest priced on eBay (loose or packaged).

Case-in-point, it's a $200 figure all day long. In fact, I just sold it today for my full ask.

I am anal-retentive and obsessive compulsive, especially about my business. I'm on top of things in every instance because I have to be. :foryou:

I see so many posts over the years where people are complaining about low ball offers.  I never understood why all of you just don't set a min in the offer level so you never get annoyed.

Or.....grow a pair and auction it all and let the market dictate the price and call it a day. :cheers:

On 6/4/2024 at 12:15 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I see so many posts over the years where people are complaining about low ball offers.  I never understood why all of you just don't set a min in the offer level so you never get annoyed.

...because I'm trying to *decrease* the number of steps I have to do for each auction, not increase it. When you have thousands of unique items to list and it's just you, you try and implement some time-saving features so you can also have a life and enjoy what your hard work brings along. :foryou:

We all can't list dozens of the same modern CGC 9.8 issues at a time like you do. :nyah:

On 6/4/2024 at 12:15 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Or.....grow a pair and auction it all and let the market dictate the price and call it a day. :cheers:

I get lowball offers all the time. I can't set auto-declines because I don't even have Best Offer enabled. Doesn't deter brain-dead Buyer's from sending unsolicited lowball offers. 

But it's not that big a deal for me. I just copy/paste my templated response..."I don't do offers. Some people can see that, because I don't have Best Offer enabled. Those who can't, I just block so they won't keep making the same mistake."

On 6/4/2024 at 8:15 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

...because I'm trying to *decrease* the number of steps I have to do for each auction, not increase it. When you have thousands of unique items to list and it's just you, you try and implement some time-saving features so you can also have a life and enjoy what your hard work brings along. :foryou:

We all can't list dozens of the same modern CGC 9.8 issues at a time like you do. :nyah:

True true.  

Artist, Jamie Sullivan, posted about an eBay scammer on his Facebook Page.  Apparently this guy has run this scheme before and he might be listed here further back.  I seem to recollect the name myself being passed around here or somewhere else so be on the lookout.  Read his followup after he spoke with eBay

Just a heads up. Don't sell or buy anything from this guy on ebay:

Name: Christopher Icamen

Ebay: Grifter612

Business: Toys West

We sold him a CGC 9.8 Marvel Point One 2nd Print. After he got the book, he filed a claim that the book he got wasn't a 9.8. Refused to send pictures of the whole book in a single photo. Ebay let him return the book. They took the money out of our account. Got the book back today. The slab has been cracked. The book swapped out with a lower grade book. And then glued back together. The case is even broken. So now we're out the sale and the book.

Just beware when selling anything to this guy.

Heard back from eBay. Since we had all of the documentation, photos and scans they needed, ebay found in our favor.

It also helped that some of you reached out to us and let us know that this seller has done this to some of you.

Apparently his MO is to seek out big ticket books from New sellers or sellers with small amounts of feedback. People who he sees as inexperienced and won't fight him or won't know how. He swaps the books and files a claim or a return saying he got the wrong book or it was damaged.

Fortunately, Erin didn't give up.

We also turned him over to their fraud department.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.02.04 AM.png

444976001_2670890883084803_5968920383095617946_n.jpg

On 6/6/2024 at 11:10 AM, Buzzetta said:

Artist, Jamie Sullivan, posted about an eBay scammer on his Facebook Page.  Apparently this guy has run this scheme before and he might be listed here further back.  I seem to recollect the name myself being passed around here or somewhere else so be on the lookout.  Read his followup after he spoke with eBay

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.02.04 AM.png

444976001_2670890883084803_5968920383095617946_n.jpg

So this guy's eBay user ID was Grifter612? :facepalm:

A couple of new deadbeats

juscr88  - sent cancel request within moments of winning for "found better price" and "I've already purchased this figure". I let cancellation requests ride until eBay cancels and then they get the autostrike. They never paid.

project_aye - same, sent request within minutes of winning the auction, claiming "ordered by mistake".

dalmitchel-9 - after four days of nonpayment, received this message: "I apologize but I will have to cancel this order because I have purchased this figure from another bid."

Luckily, out of about 100 auctions I had in this cycle, I only had the three deadbeats, which these days is a pretty good percentage. 

On 6/15/2024 at 11:24 AM, F For Fake said:

Luckily, out of about 100 auctions I had in this cycle, I only had the three deadbeats, which these days is a pretty good percentage. 

You can  change your settings to require automatic payment, set up when bids are placed. But it may reduce your bidder pool.