• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,599 posts in this topic

What would you do:

Not sure if I'm just feeling petty or not, but I had a buyer make an offer - $19 for a $30 book. Not the worst offer ever, but I figured I'd meet them near the middle and sent back an offer to sell for $24. Buyer then responds with another counter. For $15. So I declined and blocked.

I figured I wouldn't actually name them here, because they didn't technically do anything wrong, and maybe they were just frustrated, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:57 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

What would you do:

Not sure if I'm just feeling petty or not, but I had a buyer make an offer - $19 for a $30 book. Not the worst offer ever, but I figured I'd meet them near the middle and sent back an offer to sell for $24. Buyer then responds with another counter. For $15. So I declined and blocked.

I figured I wouldn't actually name them here, because they didn't technically do anything wrong, and maybe they were just frustrated, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I’d block them too. I don’t encourage people that seem offended when they don’t get their way and have blocked plenty without outing them here either. Those and the ones who send a message for a “buy it now” asking,”what’s the lowest you’ll go” when I didn’t enable the “send offer” on an item get added to my list

On 4/29/2023 at 6:25 PM, B2D327 said:

the ones who send a message for a “buy it now” asking,”what’s the lowest you’ll go” when I didn’t enable the “send offer” on an item get added to my list

Seems excessive as I’ve actually messaged sellers asking the same thing and most will go lower and don’t get upset by someone trying to get a better deal. They’re happy to sell the book a bit cheaper than listed. I wouldn’t block them personally. That person could turn around and become your best customer because you were flexible and gave them a small discount. They can’t do that if you block them. 

On 4/30/2023 at 12:10 PM, Corona smith said:

Seems excessive as I’ve actually messaged sellers asking the same thing and most will go lower and don’t get upset by someone trying to get a better deal. They’re happy to sell the book a bit cheaper than listed. I wouldn’t block them personally. That person could turn around and become your best customer because you were flexible and gave them a small discount. They can’t do that if you block them. 

I do the same thing. Never thought I was doing something that was frowned on. (shrug)

On 4/30/2023 at 12:10 PM, Corona smith said:

Well, to clarify, I don’t have a problem with a potential buyer making an offer and have sold to a few people in this manner but there’s a right way and a wrong way to approach me and the odds of some troglodyte becoming my “best customer” when coming at me in “tire kicker” fashion are zero at best. Most of them give off the red flags with a simple glance at their profile

On 4/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, Number 6 said:

Most sellers, even those who set up their listings without the Offer option, don’t mind a potential buyer sending a reasonable offer that has an actual number attached to the offer.  I’ve done that a couple of times as a buyer myself and accepted a couple times as a seller. 

Sending “what’s the lowest you’ll go?” isn’t making an offer; that’s a signal that the buyer want’s to play the lowball negotiating game but expects the seller to do the work of negotiating against themselves by coming up with the initial offer…which will only be countered with an even lower offer.  Despite the fact the seller has already indicated that he doesn’t really want to play the negotiating game with the way he has his listing set up. 

If as seller you’ve had to deal with that repeatedly I can understand blocking buyers who start out that way.  I think it’s unlikely that a “what’s the lowest you’ll go?” buyer is ever going to become my “best” customer. In my experience 9/10 times out 10 they just end up being tire kickers. 

image.gif.81c622b8798421831f2e299fc90999cf.gif

On 5/1/2023 at 4:46 AM, Number 6 said:

Sending “what’s the lowest you’ll go?” isn’t making an offer; that’s a signal that the buyer want’s to play the lowball negotiating game but expects the seller to do the work of negotiating against themselves by coming up with the initial offer…which will only be countered with an even lower offer.  Despite the fact the seller has already indicated that he doesn’t really want to play the negotiating game with the way he has his listing set up.

Yes, this. In almost any negotiation on price, the first party to mention a number will lose.

Recent list of those blocked: alexkreit0, alexri8187, bryan_higginsii, comicart1, dishpanofowstore, jlee3925, liph_1846, maddiebear2011, simplemannn165, sublime41, ys-sports-memorabilia-and-games, zavrick85

Common theme of not paying after winning auctions, constant messages about lowering prices and then canceling, yada yada. "sublime" was harassing me as recently as today about a graded comic looking bent in the photo - which is not the case as it is shadowing effect on a foil cover - and he was spam messaging me talking crazy sh*t. 

So annoying lately seems like I'm constantly fighting off this craziness and blocking more often.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 4/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, Number 6 said:

If as seller you’ve had to deal with that repeatedly I can understand blocking buyers who start out that way.  I think it’s unlikely that a “what’s the lowest you’ll go?” buyer is ever going to become my “best” customer. In my experience 9/10 times out 10 they just end up being tire kickers. 

When someone contacts me asking for the best price I just tell them where my auto-accept is and also let them know there is no further room for negotiation. I actually don't mind doing this at all, and sometimes I make the sale and sometimes not. I don't view Ebay as a negotiation at all - either people are willing to pay the price I need to charge on that site (which is generally 20% above what I would do in person) or they do not.

Most of the time people are respectful when I do it this way and either make the bid or else go away. If someone says they are willing to pay x for multiple books, and the number is close to my total, I double check my own numbers against GPA to see how fair it is. I sometimes go lower knowing that I save in packaging materials, etc, and for the sake of making a bigger sale.  

I recommend adding pcl79 to your deadbeat blocked user lists.

He purchased a couple of comics and sat on the purchase. I contacted him a few days later and he said he was considering buying more and would decide within 2 or 3 days. I have him a couple of days past the point where he said he would decide and sent an invoice, and crickets were chirping. I waited it out until I had the option to cancel the order for non-payment, cancelled it, and blocked this user. I really hate that Ebay does not allow negative reviews for buyers because he definitely would have had one from me. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, troy.division said:

Got my first refund request in a very long time.
('item not as described' / 'damaged')

Worried it was damaged via USPS I quickly reached out to the buyer.
After exchanging multiple messages I discovered it was because they didn't agree with CGC's grade of 9.8 once they had it in hand
Received the book back, refunded, and blocked them.

username is rickyburns3266

CGC should hire this dude since these days CGC doesn't believe in 9.8 either.

Edited by jokiing

On 4/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, troy.division said:

Got my first refund request in a very long time.
('item not as described' / 'damaged')

Worried it was damaged via USPS I quickly reached out to the buyer.
After exchanging multiple messages I discovered it was because they didn't agree with CGC's grade of 9.8 once they had it in hand
Received the book back, refunded, and blocked them.

username is rickyburns3266

I always choose the option of no returns, period. That was after playing the game with a few people years back that you just described. Unless there is shipping damage, which has only happened twice where the slab was damaged, once they buy it that's it. However, if there's any obvious issues with a slab I have the generic statement always included as well that it may have Newton Rings, scuff marks, or other other slight damage or material on the case due to the grading process, etc. If I know a slab has a long scuff mark which is pretty common lately with CGC, I'll take a picture of it and mention it specifically.

I might lose potential buyers for not offering returns, but it's one less headache and no negative reviews to worry about. Just my 2c

On 5/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

I might lose potential buyers for not offering returns, but it's one less headache and no negative reviews to worry about. Just my 2c

Can't buyers still leave negative feedback even if you don't offer returns? 

I always offer 30-day returns as it is a requirement to keep a Top Rated Seller status and therefore receive 10% off of the final value fees.

On 5/2/2023 at 7:55 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

I always choose the option of no returns, period. That was after playing the game with a few people years back that you just described. Unless there is shipping damage, which has only happened twice where the slab was damaged, once they buy it that's it. However, if there's any obvious issues with a slab I have the generic statement always included as well that it may have Newton Rings, scuff marks, or other other slight damage or material on the case due to the grading process, etc. If I know a slab has a long scuff mark which is pretty common lately with CGC, I'll take a picture of it and mention it specifically.

I doubt you would lose any buyers since Ebay guarantees they can return products for a full refund regardless of what you select as your return option. I am not quite sure why they even include the option of selecting "no returns" in listings since that is never the case on Ebay

On 5/3/2023 at 5:59 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

Can't buyers still leave negative feedback even if you don't offer returns? 

I always offer 30-day returns as it is a requirement to keep a Top Rated Seller status and therefore receive 10% off of the final value fees.

Yes they can leave negative feedback, but my point was that I don't get negative feedback and never had negative feedback due to the return issue. Maybe the way I worded that was confusing.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 5/2/2023 at 7:55 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

I accept returns but the buyer pays for shipping both ways. I only refund the price of the book.

I do this because Ebay will always side with the buyer that files a "NAD" claim and there are dirt bags out there that will simply damage the book themselves and them blame it on the seller.

Now, not only are you on the hook for all the shipping expenses but you also get a damaged book returned to you.

Its not worth it.