• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,600 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2023 at 12:49 AM, thehumantorch said:

Sorry, I'm confused.  You offered him a free book for 25 cents extra shipping and he ignored that and then you started shouting and called him an ahole?  Then he requested a combined invoice?  When he didn't reply to the free book why didn't you just send him his invoice?

No no no, he requested an invoice, I offered the free book, then he smarted off, then I clapped back with the a hole.  I was waiting for the reply b4 I sent the invoice.  How r u so out of order

Edited by juniorMC

On 5/24/2023 at 12:36 AM, Lightning55 said:

I hear you.  I followed the events along and saw how it went splat.  Every extra step is a complication.  I'm just saying you probably need to find a way that gets the customer from A to Z with no detours.  It will make both of your lives easier.

Changing shipping patterns in the middle of building an order is not easy to do.  I guess the revised invoice is the best method, but some people will avoid it.

I used to have flat rate shipping, order as many as you want, same price for shipping.  And still people would message me for a combined invoice.  You can't win.

Hahaha, right.  I was just tryna offer the guy a free book.  I didn't want him getting the books then tellin me I ripped him off cause I didn't send him a free book because I didn't specifically say U pick the book u want.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:37 PM, juniorMC said:

No no no, he requested an invoice, I offered the free book, then he smarted off, then I clapped back with the a hole.  I was waiting for the reply b4 I sent the invoice.  How r u so out of order

Maybe I'm missing something because that's not what I see from your post.  

On 5/24/2023 at 12:47 AM, Gaard said:

If I'm browsing Ebay and find a book I want, I always ADD TO CART instead of BUY IT NOW, and request a combined invoice for everything before I pay.  If I purchase them individually, and ask the seller to adjust shipping after the fact it just seems too bloated.

Of course, when I request an invoice, I expect to receive an invoice.

You can't do it that way anymore, they changed it, made too much sense for eBay. Well, you can, but it's unpaid in your cart, allowing anyone else to buy it out from under you. The seller can't send a revised invoice because there is no purchase, no invoice to revise. This is all because eBay is afraid things will sit unpaid and they won't get their vig.

You can sometimes "commit to buy" multiple items and then request combined shipping. That is, IF the seller has enabled combined shipping. But like you said, it's applied after the fact. You're again at the seller's mercy for shipping. 

These days, you have to go through hoops to combine things, if not already set up properly. Either you use the commit function, if available, or you message ahead to see if the seller will help you out, while hoping they don't get sold. Or buy them all and pray for an appropriate shipping refund.

Edited by Lightning55

On 5/24/2023 at 2:10 AM, Lightning55 said:

You can't do it that way anymore, they changed it, made too much sense for eBay. Well, you can, but it's unpaid in your cart, allowing anyone else to buy it out from under you. The seller can't send a revised invoice because there is no purchase, no invoice to revise. This is all because eBay is afraid things will sit unpaid and they won't get their vig.

You can sometimes "commit to buy" multiple items and then request combined shipping. That is, IF the seller has enabled combined shipping. But like you said, it's applied after the fact. You're again at the seller's mercy for shipping. 

These days, you have to go through hoops to combine things, if not already set up properly. Either you use the commit function, if available, or you message ahead to see if the seller will help you out, while hoping they don'tgetsold. Or buy them all and pray for an appropriate shipping refund.

Oh no, he had it in the cart and sent the invoice request.  I was able to send the revised invoice.  I changed the shipping cost but wanted to contact him first about the free book offer and I was just waitin for his response on the book offer

On 5/24/2023 at 2:10 AM, Lightning55 said:

These days, you have to go through hoops to combine things, if not already set up properly. Either you use the commit function, if available, or you message ahead to see if the seller will help you out, while hoping they don'tgetsold. Or buy them all and pray for an appropriate shipping refund.

Don't forget, eBay msgs go from latest to soonest, so it reads from bottom to top and the 2 screenshots r 2 separate messages

On 5/24/2023 at 2:16 AM, juniorMC said:

Oh no, he had it in the cart and sent the invoice request.  I was able to send the revised invoice.  I changed the shipping cost but wanted to contact him first about the free book offer and I was just waitin for his response on the book offer

Yeah, so he did the commit to buy, request new total thing. And when he thought the shipping wasn't changing, he abruptly bailed.

There was a time that you could use Buy-It-Now and pay at a later time. It gave you the opportunity to secure a few things, and then ask the seller for an adjusted invoice. Then ebay got paranoid that sales could be abandoned, and made everything Immediate Payment, whether the seller elected it or not. Another obstacle placed in the way of a seller by a company that has never made a sale in its history, completely ignorant of standard e-commerce practices. 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:09 AM, Lightning55 said:

Yeah, so he did the commit to buy, request new total thing. And when he thought the shipping wasn't changing, he abruptly bailed.

There was a time that you could use Buy-It-Now and pay at a later time. It gave you the opportunity to secure a few things, and then ask the seller for an adjusted invoice. Then ebay got paranoid that sales could be abandoned, and made everything Immediate Payment, whether the seller elected it or not. Another obstacle placed in the way of a seller by a company that has never made a sale in its history, completely ignorant of standard e-commerce practices. 

I don't even care about immediate payment.  I've waited just about 28 days b4 canceling.  I'm in no hurry.  Illl wait til the last minute

Random question for the group: how many counter-offers do you typically send to potential buyers on eBay? If someone sends you an offer, and you send a very fair counter, is that usually your final offer, or do you go back and forth a few more times?

On 5/24/2023 at 8:39 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

Random question for the group: how many counter-offers do you typically send to potential buyers on eBay? If someone sends you an offer, and you send a very fair counter, is that usually your final offer, or do you go back and forth a few more times?

Personally, I may send one if I think the buyer is genuinely interested with how reasonable I perceive their offer to be but it’s rare as most are typical low ballers looking to flip the book you’re selling or tire kickers that have nothing better to do than waste someone else’s time. With all the fees involved, I prefer not to enable the “make offer” button because the majority of the time, bidders don’t take them into consideration and feel insulted if you don’t entertain them. Luckily, I’m not desperate to make sales so I have no problem if they decide to kick rocks. 
   I honestly don’t see the point of the make offer button if you’re willing to sell at a lower price. I actually prefer to “send offer” if I see enough people watching my items.

Edited by B2D327

I don't usually have Best Offer on listings, but sometimes people will send offers, usually politely. If it's within 10%, I'll probably respond with an offer in that amount. If it's below that, I message them "Thank you for the offer, but the best I can do at this time is $xxxx." And even if they ignore the "best" part and increase their offer, still below that best price, I never budge from it. I said it was my best, and I meant it. They usually either take it or fade.

If you wonder why you get offers with no B/O added, it's because eBay suggests it to the buyer in the Contact Seller section. One of the question topics is Make an Offer. If your listing doesn't have B/O, the question will read something like "Best Offer is not enabled. Why not message the seller to see if they will add it?"

Not saying everyone should but I blocked this comic "expert": antermachi_0 

Not a bidder but he felt the need to call me out on my pricing nonetheless.

Perhaps I have the book priced a bit over market because I'm not in a rush to sell?  The nerve I have lol.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 9.38.21 PM.png

Edited by Key Largo Comics

On 5/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't usually have Best Offer on listings, but sometimes people will send offers, usually politely. If it's within 10%, I'll probably respond with an offer in that amount. If it's below that, I message them "Thank you for the offer, but the best I can do at this time is $xxxx." And even if they ignore the "best" part and increase their offer, still below that best price, I never budge from it. I said it was my best, and I meant it. They usually either take it or fade.

If you wonder why you get offers with no B/O added, it's because eBay suggests it to the buyer in the Contact Seller section. One of the question topics is Make an Offer. If your listing doesn't have B/O, the question will read something like "Best Offer is not enabled. Why not message the seller to see if they will add it?"

So true! I will add that I've emailed sellers and instead of responding they've upped the price, which is their call. I don't think they would block me, but case by case, idk if I've ever followed through after upping the price on a listing with no response via email.

I don't usually like to step on toes, nor do I like to wear my heart on a sleeve. In those instances it be what it be 😂

And this was the difference in asking for free shipping that was priced at $17 already 😂 just for clarity, but Id test the waters before emails, which is tangent to the op question but might be helpful. Just it shouldn't hurt to ask, although Lord willing respectfully 

On 5/24/2023 at 8:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So true! I will add that I've emailed sellers and instead of responding they've upped the price, which is their call. I don't think they would block me, but case by case, idk if I've ever followed through after upping the price on a listing with no response via email.

I don't usually like to step on toes, nor do I like to wear my heart on a sleeve. In those instances it be what it be 😂

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, Key Largo Comics said:

Not saying everyone should but I blocked this comic "expert": antermachi_0 

Not a bidder but he felt the need to call me out on my pricing nonetheless.

Perhaps I have the book priced a bit over market because I'm not in a rush to sell?  The nerve I have lol.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 9.38.21 PM.png

Wow. Well, I have had only a couple similar messages over the years. To this one I would have no problem saying, "And you have the nerve to actually send me this kind of asinine message? Buh-bye!"

Then immediately block their a z z. :baiting::nyah::roflmao:

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 5/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks, that’s the order I read it.  His reply was perhaps a bit snarky but he was still trying to complete the transaction.  But your reply, message 4, was pretty rude and ended any hope of completing the deal.  We all react differently to these situations but from I’m sitting you were out of line and started name calling

After he implied that I was an i.d.i.o.t when he said u can't figure it out, I was done with him

Edited by juniorMC