• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,322 posts in this topic

Ok, my raw copy is nothing like the beautiful books posted in this thread, but one of my very favorites. I always thought this cover was so incredibly cool, just imagining what was going on here...another one that makes me grin and feel like that young boy fascinated with aliens!

weirdfantasy8_zpsbc4ab103.jpg

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Love this cover and the stories -- still need one (it won't be a GFC, alas!)

JimJum, you remind me of a Vault of Horror #22 GFC I saw raw, years ago (just before CGC opened up) that was the #2 copy, in one of Ed Jaster's boxes when he was still in Chicago. Pleasant memory for me! In all probability it's slabbed now, but had I been able to afford it at the time, I'd likely still have it raw in its mylar! :)

Ok, my raw copy is nothing like the beautiful books posted in this thread, but one of my very favorites. I always thought this cover was so incredibly cool, just imagining what was going on here...another one that makes me grin and feel like that young boy fascinated with aliens!

weirdfantasy8_zpsbc4ab103.jpg

Wonderful book! I still need a copy myself. EC's are so great and numerous -- I love the ones I do have, but still plenty to look forward to getting! :)

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was thinking the same thing but man o man, how nice it would be to hold that book in your hands! Congrats! (worship)

CGC holders are just a secure way to transport a book but once it's in my hands...CRACK!

Ken

The Gaines Weird Science 14 that I bought in 1990 has never been slabbed. I simply wouldn't subject it to the risks involved, as miniscule as those risks may be. It's a lock for 9.6, anyway. If the spine were to ever receive the slightest tick I think I would just die.

I hear you on that, I have no GFC in my collection (someday!) but on some of my handful of nosebleed books, I hestitate to grade them just for that reason (fear of slight damage.) Anything can happen of course, but I'd probably not slab 'em unless I needed to sell and wanted the liquidity.

What a gorgeous book! I agree, love this cover, and yes, it also makes me feel like a kid again !!

I believe that was Wood's genius- he had a child's sense of wonder, and he could put it down on paper.

One of my favorite covers and tough to get. White Mountain copy.

image_zpsb65a751e.jpg

This cover never fails to make me feel just like a ten year old boy again.

:luhv:

What a gorgeous book! I agree, love this cover, and yes, it also makes me feel like a kid again !!

One of my favorite covers and tough to get. White Mountain copy.

image_zpsb65a751e.jpg

This cover never fails to make me feel just like a ten year old boy again.

:luhv:

Beauty! I do have a copy of this book (not as nice!) but I do love it! :)

Can't say it makes me feel like a kid (born in '71) but it does make me feel like a lucky collector. :)

weirdscience13_zps653ca845.jpg

Looks almost nice enough to be a Gaines File Copy.

(thumbs u

Cheers! I was lucky to score the book at a very reasonable price a couple of years ago.

The problem is that the colors in the book are a bit off center.

Here's an EC you don't see every day...promo that I picked up recently (Joe Orlando drew this one). Here's what they were teaching kids about flying kites back in '56:

1) KEEP KITES AWAY FROM ELECTRIC WIRES, and T.V. Antennas;

2) USE DRY COTTON STRING, not Metal;

3) NEVER USE METAL ON KITES, or Kite Tails;

4) NEVER CLIMB POLES, at any time

Seems like sensible advice that stands the test of time...

reddykilowatt3_f_zps784e1809.jpg