E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
28 28

5,373 posts in this topic

Ok, my raw copy is nothing like the beautiful books posted in this thread, but one of my very favorites. I always thought this cover was so incredibly cool, just imagining what was going on here...another one that makes me grin and feel like that young boy fascinated with aliens!

weirdfantasy8_zpsbc4ab103.jpg

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Love this cover and the stories -- still need one (it won't be a GFC, alas!)

JimJum, you remind me of a Vault of Horror #22 GFC I saw raw, years ago (just before CGC opened up) that was the #2 copy, in one of Ed Jaster's boxes when he was still in Chicago. Pleasant memory for me! In all probability it's slabbed now, but had I been able to afford it at the time, I'd likely still have it raw in its mylar! :)

Ok, my raw copy is nothing like the beautiful books posted in this thread, but one of my very favorites. I always thought this cover was so incredibly cool, just imagining what was going on here...another one that makes me grin and feel like that young boy fascinated with aliens!

weirdfantasy8_zpsbc4ab103.jpg

Wonderful book! I still need a copy myself. EC's are so great and numerous -- I love the ones I do have, but still plenty to look forward to getting! :)

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was thinking the same thing but man o man, how nice it would be to hold that book in your hands! Congrats! (worship)

CGC holders are just a secure way to transport a book but once it's in my hands...CRACK!

Ken

The Gaines Weird Science 14 that I bought in 1990 has never been slabbed. I simply wouldn't subject it to the risks involved, as miniscule as those risks may be. It's a lock for 9.6, anyway. If the spine were to ever receive the slightest tick I think I would just die.

I hear you on that, I have no GFC in my collection (someday!) but on some of my handful of nosebleed books, I hestitate to grade them just for that reason (fear of slight damage.) Anything can happen of course, but I'd probably not slab 'em unless I needed to sell and wanted the liquidity.

What a gorgeous book! I agree, love this cover, and yes, it also makes me feel like a kid again !!

I believe that was Wood's genius- he had a child's sense of wonder, and he could put it down on paper.

One of my favorite covers and tough to get. White Mountain copy.

image_zpsb65a751e.jpg

This cover never fails to make me feel just like a ten year old boy again.

:luhv:

What a gorgeous book! I agree, love this cover, and yes, it also makes me feel like a kid again !!

One of my favorite covers and tough to get. White Mountain copy.

image_zpsb65a751e.jpg

This cover never fails to make me feel just like a ten year old boy again.

:luhv:

Beauty! I do have a copy of this book (not as nice!) but I do love it! :)

Can't say it makes me feel like a kid (born in '71) but it does make me feel like a lucky collector. :)

weirdscience13_zps653ca845.jpg

Looks almost nice enough to be a Gaines File Copy.

(thumbs u

Cheers! I was lucky to score the book at a very reasonable price a couple of years ago.

The problem is that the colors in the book are a bit off center.

Here's an EC you don't see every day...promo that I picked up recently (Joe Orlando drew this one). Here's what they were teaching kids about flying kites back in '56:

1) KEEP KITES AWAY FROM ELECTRIC WIRES, and T.V. Antennas;

2) USE DRY COTTON STRING, not Metal;

3) NEVER USE METAL ON KITES, or Kite Tails;

4) NEVER CLIMB POLES, at any time

Seems like sensible advice that stands the test of time...

reddykilowatt3_f_zps784e1809.jpg