• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

I regret the wording of my reply to NWO. In retrospect, I didn't mean to complain so much as simply express my excitement for the further upcoming story discussion that is sure to ensue as soon as most people have seen the film. :)

I don't think you should regret it.

This forum has taken on life like a stock-market analysis algorithm and has lost it's roots as a comic book forum. It's either movie performance being argued (and not even story content, just how or why the next movie sequel should be pumped), what the next hot book is, how much it should be worth or why it's dropping.

IMO it's unfortunate as when I joined 12 years ago, most people really just liked talking about comics for their content.

Sure, values were discussed, but it was more of a sideline discussion (oohs and aahs over rising prices) rather than investment being a central theme.

Ah, the good ole' days.

Weekend Forecast: ‘Doctor Strange,’ ‘Trolls’ & ‘Hacksaw Ridge’

Doctor Strange (Disney)

PROS:

• The Marvel superhero universe is on a box office roll the past few years. Their most recent four titles include May’s Captain America: Civil War with $408.0 million (currently the second-highest grossing film of the year), Ant-Man with $180.2 million, Avengers: Age of Ultron with $459.0 million, and Guardians of the Galaxy with $333.1 million. With those kinds of numbers, it’s hard to imagine Doctor Strange making less than the low-$200 million range at an absolute minimum.
  • Let’s focus on two of those films for a moment, the fellow origin stories as opposed to sequels. Ant-Man opened with $57.2 million last July for $180.2 million total, while Guardians of the Galaxy opened with $94.3 million in August 2014 for $333.1 million total. While Doctor Strange will have a tough task matching Guardians as a pop culture phenomenon, it could close if not pulling even or slightly ahead, while it seems almost certain to beat Ant-Man.
  • The cast list includes Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role, Rachel McAdams as the love interest, and Chiwetel Ejiofor as a fellow superhero with powers who serves as something of a sidekick. All three have been nominated for Oscars in the past three years, this is Cumberbatch’s first lead role since his Best Actor nod for the financially-successful The Imitation Game, and McAdams’ first since her Best Supporting Actress nod for Spotlight.

CONS:

• Honestly, there are very few cons here. Perhaps the lack of familiarity with the title character outside of the existing comic book fandom could hurt it, although as mentioned before that didn’t seem to hurt little-known characters like Deadpool or Ant-Man.
  • In terms of opening weekend, Doctor Strange seems likely to blow the competition away, as there’s no real competing big-budget special effects-laden blockbusters out right now. But over the coming weeks, it will face some challenges from Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Arrival.

- Doctor Strange: $88,000,000

- Trolls: $39,500,000

- Hacksaw Ridge: $12,500,000

- Boo! A Madea Halloween: $9,470,000

- Inferno: $6,690,000

'superhero burnout'

:eyeroll:

Just got home and really liked the movie but primarily due to the second half of the movie. The first half felt a bit forced and the effects seemed to be there just to have effects. The 2nd half had great pacing and the effects seemed to advance the story instead of just being there for awe effect. I put this one up there with Captain America and Ant-Man which to me is good company. Not in the Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers category but well worth the time and money.

I would also like to add while RDj made Iron Man from a B+ to an A-lister because of his films, Benedict Cumberbatch performance is going to have a similar impact for Doctor Strange. Strange just went from a C+ to a solid B+!

Makes me want to go and read Doctor Strange comics now. :headbang:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I would also like to add while RDj made Iron Man from a B+ to an A-lister because of his films, Benedict Cumberbatch performance is going to have a similar impact for Doctor Strange. Strange just went from a C+ to a solid B+!

:gossip: ...The Michael Golden classic, Doctor Strange # 55 is a good place to start..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:gossip: ...The Michael Golden classic, Doctor Strange # 55 is a good place to start..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hey, along this line, what are the best TPBs to buy of Strange?

I just got back from the movie, wow Marvel just pulled another winner!

Amazing movie!

Can't wait to see it a 2nd time in iMax 3D over the weekend!

Visually one of the most stunning movies I have ever seen, unfortunately I'm not the brightest and didn't understand a single thing that was happening on screen so I'm far from qualified to offer an opinion.

Sounds like the smarter people enjoyed it and that's all that matters.

Jim

Cumberpatch is Doctor Strange! Very much enjoyed the movie, pacing was a little off in the first half of the movie, but overall a very enjoyable flick. I can't say it enough, Cumberpatch really nailed it, he was awesome! A very good experience, will see it again!