• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Non-Spoiler Review:

Overall, I thought Dr. Strange was decent.

In my opinion, Cumberbatch plays a fantastic Dr. Strange. I went in with no trepidation concerning that casting. I love how they stuck to the original story for his origin. I was mainly concerned about the presentation and representation of magic. Visually, it actually ended up being better than I expected. I feared that it would be all Nolan-esque/Inception style effects, which was not the case.

The Mads Mikkelson villain was the worst part of the movie. Unfortunately, it's a pretty noticeable blemish. He was as boring and generic a villain as you could imagine, complete with boring and generic goons. This seems to be an ongoing problem for Marvel movies; Malekith, Ronan, Baron Zemo, Ultron, Yellowjacket, and now Kaecilius. All completely flat, one-dimensional, cookie cutter villains, that I'm not compelled to care anything about.

My other two gripes of note are :

1) There was way too much combat. This was a beat em' up movie that made me dismiss combat as anything meaningful, as it was nearly constant. I would have preferred a small amount of meaningful combat.

2) Lack of anything thought provoking concerning the occult or mysticism. I have no personal interest in the occult as an area of study or belief, but I do when it comes to Dr. Strange. I've not read a single book on the occult anytime in my life, but would love to have watched 45 minutes or so of learning and occult study as Strange learns the mystic arts. That would have been a great build up and opportunity for foreshadowing. Well, there was none of that. Just a short, generic "learning curve" (t'was barely even a learning curve) was presented.

At the end of the day, Dr. Strange is worth watching, but probably not good enough for me to buy on Blu-Ray and watch again. I'd give Dr. Strange, a 3 out of 5.

Does anyone remember the quote saying how a person is small and insignificant compared to the universe?

The Ancient One says it to Strange when he firsts arrives and Strange says it to Kaecilius later in the movie.

I thought this was definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

It was a bit rushed in some moments though I felt. To me he went from having trouble to master the portal to kicking it way too quick. Mordo went to the dark side too easy too.

Also it is hard from me to totally critic this film because I am seeing it after a hard days work

and I felt like I was watching a movie on acid while looking at it through a trippy psychedelic colored kaleidoscope lens.

I literally felt like I could squeeze the colors out of my eyes when the previews rolled.

It's a 3/3.5 out of 5 to me.

Just got back from Inception II and it was great.

It really was like a cross between Batman Begins and Inception...

I liked it.

Lot of little surprises and nods in the film and I think it will hold up well in the grand scheme of Marvel movies.

One thing though... I look forward to watching it with the sound off and trying to see if I can sync it up with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...

As a fellow boardie described it to me the other day... "Trippy as balls"

And one more thing... See this movie in 3D... I am not usually a 3D guy but it was recommended to me to see it in that format so I obliged. I am glad I made an exception for this.

Just got back from Inception II and it was great.

It really was like a cross between Batman Begins and Inception...

I liked it.

Lot of little surprises and nods in the film and I think it will hold up well in the grand scheme of Marvel movies.

One thing though... I look forward to watching it with the sound off and trying to see if I can sync it up with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...

I will pay money (pun intended) if you find a sync for it.

You should try the soundtrack to More since Cymbaline mentions Dr. Strange or Saucerful of Secrets has Dr. Strange on the cover.

Saw it. Liked it. Went with a Ditko-era Strangehead who thought it was great. Neither of us were sure if the Inception-style effects meshed all that well with the Ditko stuff, but, eh, no big deal.

I and the guys I went with really liked it, will be taking the wife and kids tomorrow that will be the real test. Two thumbs up

Edited by Azkaban

Non-Spoiler Review:

In my opinion, Cumberbatch plays a fantastic Dr. Strange. I went in with no trepidation concerning that casting. I love how they stuck to the original story for his origin. I was mainly concerned about the presentation and representation of magic. Visually, it actually ended up being better than I expected. I feared that it would be all Nolan-esque/Inception style effects, which was not the case.

The Mads Mikkelson villain was the worst part of the movie. Unfortunately, it's a pretty noticeable blemish. He was as boring and generic a villain as you could imagine, complete with boring and generic goons. This seems to be an ongoing problem for Marvel movies; Malekith, Ronan, Baron Zemo, Ultron, Yellowjacket, and now Kaecilius. All completely flat, one-dimensional, cookie cutter villains, that I'm not compelled to care anything about.

1) There was way too much combat. This was a beat em' up movie that made me dismiss combat as anything meaningful, as it was nearly constant. I would have preferred a small amount of meaningful combat.

2) Lack of anything thought provoking concerning the occult or mysticism. I have no personal interest in the occult as an area of study or belief, but I do when it comes to Dr. Strange. I've not read a single book on the occult anytime in my life, but would love to have watched 45 minutes or so of learning and occult study as Strange learns the mystic arts. That would have been a great build up and opportunity for foreshadowing. Well, there was none of that. Just a short, generic "learning curve" (t'was barely even a learning curve) was presented.

At the end of the day, Dr. Strange is worth watching, but probably not good enough for me to buy on Blu-Ray and watch again. I'd give Dr. Strange, a 3 out of 5.

spot on review. (thumbs u

Non-Spoiler Review:

Really, I feel quite the opposite actually.

Considering besides Thanos every single Marvel movie has show us that they don't use/have great villains to use ever. A quick Red skull was about it. Magneto (w/all X-Men villains), Doctor Doom, Galactus, and Spider-Man villains are as of right now not available for use by Marvel Studios. So that gribe is nothing new.

Common sense would tell us that every single one is suffering from the superhero overload of movies since Blade 1 back in 1998. If Doctor Strange came out in 2008 or 2009 we all would be singing even higher praises for this film.

We all loved Iron Man with a garbage villain. Taking out the wow factor that was Avengers for the 1st time my top 5 Marvel movies are:

Iron Man 1

Cap 2 Winter Soldier

Cap 3 Civil War

Doctor Strange

Avengers

I can't wait to see Doctor Strange this in iMax 3D for the 2nd and 3rd time! Marvel Studios has casted so well in most of these movies. While I love Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo as their respected characters, Cumberbatch & Downey Jr. ARE those characters.

Again I said earlier it's because Cumberbatch I actually want to dig in the back issues and find out more about Doctor Strange. From the movie you can tell Strange is going to be a big character in the Marvel cinematic universe going further.

Movie for me is a solid 4/5 stars bordering in 4.5! Plus the love story was just enough in the film to know it is there, but not enough to overtake the film.

I will be rushing to buy this film on blu ray!

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Non-Spoiler Review:

Considering besides Thanos every single Marvel movie has show us that they don't use/have great villains to use ever. A quick Red skull was about it. Magneto (w/all X-Men villains), Doctor Doom, Galactus, and Spider-Man villains are as of right now not available for use by Marvel Studios. So that gribe is nothing new.

Common sense would tell us that every single one is suffering from the superhero overload of movies since Blade 1 back in 1998. If Doctor Strange came out in 2008 or 2009 we all would be singing even higher praises for this film.

We all loved Iron Man with a garbage villain. Taking out the wow factor that was Avengers for the 1st time my top 5 Marvel movies are:

Iron Man 1

Cap 2 Winter Soldier

Cap 3 Civil War

Doctor Strange

Avengers

I can't wait to see Doctor Strange this in iMax 3D for the 2nd and 3rd time! Marvel Studios has casted so well in most of these movies. While I love Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo as their respected characters, Cumberbatch & Downey Jr. ARE those characters.

Again I said earlier it's because Cumberbatch I actually want to dig in the back issues and find out more about Doctor Strange. From the movie you can tell Strange is going to be a big character in the Marvel cinematic universe going further.

Movie for me is a solid 4/5 stars bordering in 4.5! Plus the love story was just enough in the film to know it is there, but not enough to overtake the film.

It isn't who the villain is, it is what he does and how he is developed.

You bring up Iron Man 1 and say the Iron Monger is a garbage villain: that villain is definitely C level in the comics but it is well done in the film because his character is well established, he is an excellent foil to Tony Stark and takes the technology to the next step. I thought he was fantastic. Very well written.

Kaecilius is a guy who may as well wear a head band that says "I am the bad guy and you will have to fight me in this movie" because that is the extent of his character development and poor character development is what puts Dr. Strange at a 6/10.

Non-Spoiler Review:

Iron Man 1

Cap 2 Winter Soldier

Cap 3 Civil War

Doctor Strange

Avengers

It isn't who the villain is, it is what he does and how he is developed.

You bring up Iron Man 1 and say the Iron Monger is a garbage villain: that villain is definitely C level in the comics but it is well done in the film because his character is well established, he is an excellent foil to Tony Stark and takes the technology to the next step. I thought he was fantastic. Very well written.

Kaecilius is a guy who may as well wear a head band that says "I am the bad guy and you will have to fight me in this movie" because that is the extent of his character development and that is what I generally disliked in Dr. Strange.

I'm ok with the lack of villain development. This story was never about the villain, rather it was about Strange's journey.

So, I think this was one of the Easter eggs, but somebody back me up --

Before Dr. Strange gets into the car accident, he's speaking to one of his assistants on the phone. The assistant mentions an Air Force pilot with a spinal injury caused by an experimental armor malfunction (or something to do with a suit of armor).

This is a reference to War Machine, right?

Before Dr. Strange gets into the car accident, he's speaking to one of his assistants on the phone. The assistant mentions an Air Force pilot with a spinal injury caused by an experimental armor malfunction (or something to do with a suit of armor).

you bet; this movie starts just after civil war ends.

I'm ok with the lack of villain development. This story was never about the villain, rather it was about Strange's journey.

i'm more or less with this view for this particular flick. however, i do realize that the triumvirate of comic flicks that sit atop my fave list, spidey 2, dk and avengers, feature ock, joker and loki--villains don't get much better.

For me, a quality villain is equally as important as a quality hero. The hero's journey is nothing, without a villain. It's the other half of the story; a yin and yang sort of thing. Sure, a movie can get by with half, but a truly spectacular movie/story needs a compelling hero and a compelling villain.

The X-Men movies have not really been that great overall. What's been carrying them from a story perspective? Professor X and Magneto. Without Magneto, the X-Men movies would not even be worth watching.

you bet; this movie starts just after civil war ends.

Dr. Strange was already mentioned in AoS more than a year ago, so that kind of messes with the time line.