• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

I think the time line is still OK, even with that reference -- the Hydra algorithm was meant to knock off anyone who either was a threat or who would likely become a threat in the future. I think Strange was someone Hydra recognized as one of these future threats.

Dan

So, I think this was one of the Easter eggs, but somebody back me up --

Before Dr. Strange gets into the car accident, he's speaking to one of his assistants on the phone. The assistant mentions an Air Force pilot with a spinal injury caused by an experimental armor malfunction (or something to do with a suit of armor).

This is a reference to War Machine, right?

you bet; this movie starts just after civil war ends.

Dr. Strange was already mentioned in AoS more than a year ago, so that kind of messes with the time line.

Actually that phone call about the spine references the test pilot in the video that Stark showed to the Congressional panel at the beginning of Iron Man 2. That test pilot was the one who received the spinal cord injury.

If you look at the timeline for these:

Avengers tower was seen in Dr. Strange and Wong mentions the Avengers so it takes place after the first Avengers movie at least.

Stephen Strange is mentioned in CA: The Winter Soldier, so Dr. Strange must take place before then.

Now this Air Force soldier spinal injury puts it at just about Iron Man 2, if not slightly before.

I would guess the mid-credits scene with Thor takes place during Civil War after Strange has become more proficient and has had time to "make a list" of those individuals to keep an eye on.

For me, a quality villain is equally as important as a quality hero. The hero's journey is nothing, without a villain. It's the other half of the story; a yin and yang sort of thing. Sure, a movie can get by with half, but a truly spectacular movie/story needs a compelling hero and a compelling villain.

The X-Men movies have not really been that great overall. What's been carrying them from a story perspective? Professor X and Magneto. Without Magneto, the X-Men movies would not even be worth watching.

That's probably why the Wolverine movies turned out so poorly.

I'd have to disagree with you on the hero's journey being nothing without a compelling villain though. The most well known Superheroes (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man) didn't start off with major villains at all. When it comes to a Superhero's origin, the main adversary lies within themselves & that's what makes them the hero's they've become.

My opinion may not be everybody's cup of tea, but:

I liked the movie it was funny----well written-----and it wasn't "every movie I've ever seen before" but just told in a different way------

BUT

TBH I was never big on Dr. Strange in comics, I think I've read one here and there but most of the comics I picked up here and there never featured him, so not going in to the movie with my mind "preblown" I connected with the characters etc

It was good, but I didn't have any expectations and I just enjoyed it..... (thumbs u

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

For me, a quality villain is equally as important as a quality hero. The hero's journey is nothing, without a villain. It's the other half of the story; a yin and yang sort of thing. Sure, a movie can get by with half, but a truly spectacular movie/story needs a compelling hero and a compelling villain.

The X-Men movies have not really been that great overall. What's been carrying them from a story perspective? Professor X and Magneto. Without Magneto, the X-Men movies would not even be worth watching.

Again you are missing my point......what villains would you like them to use? :baiting:

All the good ones don't belong to Marvel Studios.

So, I think this was one of the Easter eggs, but somebody back me up --

Before Dr. Strange gets into the car accident, he's speaking to one of his assistants on the phone. The assistant mentions an Air Force pilot with a spinal injury caused by an experimental armor malfunction (or something to do with a suit of armor).

This is a reference to War Machine, right?

you bet; this movie starts just after civil war ends.

Dr. Strange was already mentioned in AoS more than a year ago, so that kind of messes with the time line.

Actually that phone call about the spine references the test pilot in the video that Stark showed to the Congressional panel at the beginning of Iron Man 2. That test pilot was the one who received the spinal cord injury.

If you look at the timeline for these:

Avengers tower was seen in Dr. Strange and Wong mentions the Avengers so it takes place after the first Avengers movie at least.

Stephen Strange is mentioned in CA: The Winter Soldier, so Dr. Strange must take place before then.

Now this Air Force soldier spinal injury puts it at just about Iron Man 2, if not slightly before.

I would guess the mid-credits scene with Thor takes place during Civil War after Strange has become more proficient and has had time to "make a list" of those individuals to keep an eye on.

That makes more sense.

I wouldn't expect Dr. Strange to have become the Sorcerer Supreme in such a short period of time. I thought years had gone by from the pace of the film as well. Was a little thrown off with the mention of War Machines injury in this thread. Didn't really notice it in the film.

Going back on Tuesday to see it in 3d, maybe even IMAX. I thought it was great & set things up nicely for a sequel. It wasn't perfect by any means but very enjoyable.

Treated my parents to it & they had a good time. My dad is more interested in seeing Wonder Woman after watching the new trailer though. lol

I would have preferred it be Mordo that turned on the Ancient One than Kaecilius though.

The issue I have with most MCU villains is that they tend to be killed off by the end of each film. I say, capture them & have them locked up at SHIELD or something. That way there's room to bring them back at some point. Loki is still my favorite by quite a margin, but I hope Thanos will change that. :devil:

The preview for Logan was absolutely riveting. The Johnny Cash rendition of "Hurt" was perfect.

There is a very long Wolverine 3 thread where the teaser, trailer, Twitter and Instagram photos have been posted. You should check it out. Much potential!

Doctor Strange Beats Projections To Win Opening Weekend Box Office

Doctor Strange earned $32.6 million on Friday, including Thursday night showings. Marvel Studios’ latest is now set for a $84 million opening weekend.

The opening exceeds the projected $75 million that Doctor Strange was expected to earn in its first three days. Doctor Strange’s international box office debut also exceeded expectations by earning $86 million.

Be sure to check out ComicBook.com's Marvel's Doctor Strange review.

DreamWorks Animations Trolls landed in second place. The animated feature earned $12.3 million on Friday and is set to go for $44 million over the weekend.

Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge landed in third place. Hacksaw Ridge earned $5.2 million on Friday and is expected to total about $14 million by the end of the weekend. Be sure to read ComicBook.com's Hacksaw Ridge review

Doctor Strange Beats Projections To Win Opening Weekend Box Office

Doctor Strange earned $32.6 million on Friday, including Thursday night showings. Marvel Studios’ latest is now set for a $84 million opening weekend.

The opening exceeds the projected $75 million that Doctor Strange was expected to earn in its first three days. Doctor Strange’s international box office debut also exceeded expectations by earning $86 million.

Be sure to check out ComicBook.com's Marvel's Doctor Strange review.

DreamWorks Animations Trolls landed in second place. The animated feature earned $12.3 million on Friday and is set to go for $44 million over the weekend.

Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge landed in third place. Hacksaw Ridge earned $5.2 million on Friday and is expected to total about $14 million by the end of the weekend. Be sure to read ComicBook.com's Hacksaw Ridge review

It's also brought in 30 million from China's Friday & Saturday screenings. Should be close to 300 WW after tomorrow.

Again you are missing my point......what villains would you like them to use? :baiting:

All the good ones don't belong to Marvel Studios.

I suppose you're missing my point as well.

All of the villains they've used could be compelling if written in such a way to make them so.

And that's just not true that all of the "good villains" don't belong to Marvel Studios. At least, in my opinion it's not true. The buck doesn't stop with Magneto and Dr. Doom being licensed elsewhere. Magneto is my favorite, but there are SO many villains that Marvel has available. Just from the ones I listed in my original post, I'd consider Malekith, Baron Zemo, Ultron and Yellowjacket to be quality villains. Ultron could have been a scary/creepy, original Terminator-style type machination...but instead we got a cartoony, wise-cracking CGI robot with lips and eyebrows. Flat villains is just an ongoing issue for me with the mostly high quality, Marvel movie formula.

Today I will go see this movie with buddies this afternoon. :whee: We had reserved our seats for VIP with 3D.

With the damn lousy raini weather here ( it's been over 30 days of rain!) .. I decide to spoil myself a little in going for VIP treatment. Hope the good doctor will hex away my gloom of raining!

I agree with this, because he had his trademark tan gloves on while talking with Thor. It's definitely at a point later on after he's been established for a while.

Anyone who's seen it:

Wasn't there a car he was passing in the rain on the winding cliff road, that he hits that causes his Lamborghini to fly off the cliff and crash? Why no mention of the other car and the passengers? I thought that was a bit of a hole in the plot. I guess they may have been fine and not hurt, but just odd they didn't mention it. Maybe this was also to show how arrogant the Dr. was by not even asking about the car he hit, how are the people in it or how he caused the accident?

Anyone who's seen it:

Wasn't there a car he was passing in the rain on the winding cliff road, that he hits that causes his Lamborghini to fly off the cliff and crash? Why no mention of the other car and the passengers? I thought that was a bit of a hole in the plot. I guess they may have been fine and not hurt, but just odd they didn't mention it. Maybe this was also to show how arrogant the Dr. was by not even asking about the car he hit, how are the people in it or how he caused the accident?

He was in a Lamborghini. Who cares about the commoners in the other vehicle. Hopefully that got what they deserved for being in his way! :insane: