• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The centerpiece of your collection

282 posts in this topic

I've owned relatively few keys during my 35 year collecting career, even so this is the one book I keep returning to:

NA24Church-1.jpg

Awesome colors hardly ever seen book.Thanks for posting S

I've owned relatively few keys during my 35 year collecting career, even so this is the one book I keep returning to:

NA24Church-1.jpg

My very favorite Flessel cover. Make a poster of this; :takeit:

....It would also make a nice AjaxFarrell custom clock hm GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great choices so far everyone. :applause:

Bats has always been my favorite,and this one tops the list for me.I'm all smiles every time I page thru it. :cloud9:

IMG_20130305_0001_zps2b833212.jpg

I didn't know you had one of those -- beautiful copy!

This copy is just crazy. Russ any urge to have it graded just so we can drool some more?

Actually I bought it slabbed,but much prefer it raw. It was graded at 8.0 mod(p) but imho it looks a bit nicer.

tec31_zps750a760b.jpg

And who did you buy it from :baiting:

Gator or Russ;

Another resto book that certainly presents a lot nicer than the stated grade on the CGC label.

What are the key defects that knock this gorgeous looking copy all the way down to only a 8.0 VF grade? ???

There really aren't any key defects,it's every bit as nice as the scan shows,but it is restored. I think that CGC sometimes grades very tight on purple labels.

Russ;

If this exact same book was unrestored and sitting in a slab, how much higher do you think the grade would be? hm

It definitely looks like CGC has 2 completely different grading scales at work here. A much looser one for unrestored books and a much tighter and more agressive one for restored books. :boo:

I assume they must feel that the stigmitization of the PLOD is not enough of a knock on an restored book. It is also necessary to knock it down a few more notches from a technical grading point of view.

I think I bought this copy raw and sent into cgc back in 2006/7 but honestly don't recall. At the time I had an 8.5 mod and sold Russ this undercopy at ww Chicago. (I also had a 5.0 blue at the time) but the restored copies were so pretty!

While the book is spectacular keep in mind that sometimes resto is "evident" visually upon closer inspection or interior inspection. I'm sure that's whats taken into consideration when graded.

NA24Church-1.jpg

Wow! Beautiful copy. I've never seen a better one. (thumbs u

NA24Church-1.jpg

and a Heshka painting :)

NA24Church-1.jpg

and a Heshka painting :)

Killer cover! I always liked this one...

300px-Adventure_Comics_36.jpg

Lookit all you got for a dime back then! The recap here goes on forever!

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Adventure_Comics_Vol_1_36

NA24Church-1.jpg

I love Flessel's stuff.

Curious about the markings (top left spine, below 'NEW.' Ped copy? Church?

Thank you for sharing. :headbang:

Sorry if i got this wrong for posting books in pgx holder.

adamstrange says one request cgc makes is that we not post pics of a book in a competitor's slab

I did read the rules and did not see this. I have more CGC slab books then pgx but for the price it would have cost i went with them.

I do like raw books better as a collector so if i take them out its not a huge loss.

If this is true i will not post those holder books can someone tell me if this is true Thanks

I realized after posting way back on page 5, that I'd left off artist's attributions (my bad). (worship) Dwight's post reminded me of this omission.

Bending the rules again, I'll correct that oversight & add the centerpiece of my ca.gif collection (an original oil by the phenomenal Donato Giancola)...

51ae21c7-eef4-4a6b-bfaf-521e7f4fbf9a_zpsac11c8ab.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Note: At the time this unframed painting was still a work in progress on display at SDCC.[/font]

Centerpiece of my TIMELY collection by Alex Schomburg (recreated & expanded MM 66 cover)...

d9ab7b4d-7b1e-41d8-b44a-7cbbc28d34a5_zps6359b758.jpg

Centerpiece of my PULP art collection by George Rozen (June 15, '42 cover)...

25033418-5adf-4cd0-8205-d4adfc9e5917_zpsa1e755c9.jpg

:rulez: In the spirit of Flex's orig. post (if limiting centerpieces to comics),

this atmospheric Craig Fleissell cover would probably be my first choice...

96e8f50b-d5dd-4389-94f7-e8a955760a5b_zps1008e2a6.jpg

My apologies for the reboot, but the omissions... doh! ...seemed to warrant it. :foryou:

Sorry if i got this wrong for posting books in pgx holder.

adamstrange says one request cgc makes is that we not post pics of a book in a competitor's slab

I did read the rules and did not see this. I have more CGC slab books then pgx but for the price it would have cost i went with them.

I do like raw books better as a collector so if i take them out its not a huge loss.

If this is true i will not post those holder books can someone tell me if this is true Thanks

I know the rules say you can't sell books that are in competitors' slabs in the sales threads. People do occasionally post PGX books in other threads but I suppose it would be better not to. I have a few PGX books. The couple of times I posted one, I cropped the image so the label wasn't visible.