• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

hmmm.... I think your figures beat Bernie Madoff's made up figures.

What happened to the 6% you first posted?

You should be handling EVERYONE'S investments. With returns like that. You could make millions working on Wall Street.

There are no guarantees with ANY investment. You play the odds.

You may get lucky now and then, and you may get unlucky now and then. But overall. It is about knowing what the heck you are doing.

I'll tell you this. Over my life, I have noticed some people seeking out certain books when they were not on anyone's radar. Then a few years down the road, out of nowhere, those books hit the sky in value.

I noticed this, and I still could not figure out how those "investors" knew what was worth hoarding. How did they know which way the collecting winds were going to blow, before I did? Since I live and breath reading everything I can about this hobby.

Some people know what they are doing, and most don't. Most just take a shot, and hit now and then.

But some....well, they just see something most of us don't. And they ain't hoarding everything. Just select books or characters. Or stocks. Or precious metals, or whatever.

Bottom line is, some know what they are doing, and are making a killing. Most (like me) are flailing, with a hit now and then. But mostly misses.

No matter what field of money making one might be into. There are those that are good at it, and then there are the rest of us.

Short of hitting the lottery. No one gets rich by working hard every day. And non one gets rich by putting 10% of their earnings into the stock market. They will be "alright" and kind of happy after many years, for sure. But not rich-rich.

You have to be lucky, or extremely insightful. Or just plain "good".

+1

What you stated is the dangling carrot put in front of many hard working Americans, unfortunately not many realize this until it`s too late or some never realize this and keep chasing the dream. ;)

I've invested 10% of my income into the stock market since I started working at the age of 22. I'm closing in on $1 million this year in my 401Ks and I'm only 45. With just a 6% return, I should have between $3 and $4 million to retire on at the age of 65 if I stop contributing to my 401Ks at the age of 55. (My plans are to stop contributing around the age of 55 so I can help my two kids out with college.) Considering my upbringing and my modest middle class job, I consider that rich. I didn't invest in anything special or do anything abnormal. Just followed the advice I've been hearing all my life about paying myself first before taking care of expenses.

How many people are going to have $3 - $4 million dollars from their comic investments when they retire?

Not many, Are you doing this on your own or do you have a financial adviser? Very nice work

No financial adviser. For about a year when we were younger, we had a financial advisor from Charles Schwab who came to the house and set us up with Roth IRAs. Once I figured out how much they were taking of our money, I stopped that and have been doing my own investing. (That money was used to start an online account with Ameritrade.) When I was younger, I loved reading about investing and much of the advice I read stuck. It is probably cliché, but the book, Rich Man, Poor Man, shaped much of my thinking about finances and paying myself first. I also like talking investing, etc. with anyone who is interested.

First of all, I was mistaken about exactly what percentage I put away. The percentage has varies greatly over the years. I've maxed out my 401K(s) since I was 22. Currently, that means I'm putting away over 17% of my earnings. I earned more 10-15 years ago than I do today and I believe the percentage was closer to 10% (401K contribution limits were lower and my earnings were higher.) I also need to mention my wife also contributes to a 401K, although she is not maxing her 401K contribution and she earns about half what I earn. Admittedly, the higher percentage and her contributions are a big part of the equation.

I've been tracking the 401Ks values since I have been 34 and here is what I have:

Age Year % Change Average % Change

35 2004 34.54 34.54

36 2005 19.34 26.94

37 2006 31.90 28.60

38 2007 9.79 23.89

39 2008 -29.25 13.26

40 2009 55.41 20.29

41 2010 31.73 21.92

42 2011 5.26 19.84

43 2012 25.75 20.50

44 2013 43.80 22.83

So, every December 31st, I calculate the total for all the 401Ks that my wife and I own. The total value will include contributions (personal and company match) and gains for the entire year. I then calculate the change in value from the prior year. The average over the past 10 years has been 22.83%. Understand, early on, our contributions made up a large portion of this percentage, but as time has gone on (and the power of compound interest), our contributions make up less and less of the percentage.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'm an IT person. My best paying job was when I was a Unix Sys. Admin. for Sun Microsystems and today I'm a developer for eBay. I've worked at 2 organization that went bankrupt, Sun Microsystems and DevelopOnline, but luckily, I never was unemployed for more than days. For a while, I worked in the airline industry, which paid very poorly, so I augmented my income by teaching Java and Linux at the nearby community college. I've never worked at a job longer than 5 years. So, yes, I feel very much like I am middle class.

I think that rjrjr is just one of those people who believes that a $150k+ income household is "middle class". :baiting: God bless him lol.

-J.

In Southern California it is.Why is it I make around 80K net,and my wife makes about the same as a Para-Legal for her Moms law firm.Yet it still seems we live paycheck to paycheck? :sorry:

160K is NOT middle income. And if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are doing something wrong. You are in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

Maybe buying too many comic books? :grin:

You may get lucky now and then, and you may get unlucky now and then. But overall. It is about knowing what the heck you are doing.

I'll tell you this. Over my life, I have noticed some people seeking out certain books when they were not on anyone's radar. Then a few years down the road, out of nowhere, those books hit the sky in value.

I noticed this, and I still could not figure out how those "investors" knew what was worth hoarding. How did they know which way the collecting winds were going to blow, before I did? Since I live and breath reading everything I can about this hobby.

Some people know what they are doing, and most don't. Most just take a shot, and hit now and then.

But some....well, they just see something most of us don't. And they ain't hoarding everything. Just select books or characters. Or stocks. Or precious metals, or whatever.

Bottom line is, some know what they are doing, and are making a killing. Most (like me) are flailing, with a hit now and then. But mostly misses.

No matter what field of money making one might be into. There are those that are good at it, and then there are the rest of us.

Short of hitting the lottery. No one gets rich by working hard every day. And non one gets rich by putting 10% of their earnings into the stock market. They will be "alright" and kind of happy after many years, for sure. But not rich-rich.

+1

What you stated is the dangling carrot put in front of many hard working Americans, unfortunately not many realize this until it`s too late or some never realize this and keep chasing the dream. ;)

I've invested 10% of my income into the stock market since I started working at the age of 22. I'm closing in on $1 million this year in my 401Ks and I'm only 45. With just a 6% return, I should have between $3 and $4 million to retire on at the age of 65 if I stop contributing to my 401Ks at the age of 55. (My plans are to stop contributing around the age of 55 so I can help my two kids out with college.) Considering my upbringing and my modest middle class job, I consider that rich. I didn't invest in anything special or do anything abnormal. Just followed the advice I've been hearing all my life about paying myself first before taking care of expenses.

How many people are going to have $3 - $4 million dollars from their comic investments when they retire?

Not many, Are you doing this on your own or do you have a financial adviser? Very nice work

No financial adviser. For about a year when we were younger, we had a financial advisor from Charles Schwab who came to the house and set us up with Roth IRAs. Once I figured out how much they were taking of our money, I stopped that and have been doing my own investing. (That money was used to start an online account with Ameritrade.) When I was younger, I loved reading about investing and much of the advice I read stuck. It is probably cliché, but the book, Rich Man, Poor Man, shaped much of my thinking about finances and paying myself first. I also like talking investing, etc. with anyone who is interested.

First of all, I was mistaken about exactly what percentage I put away. The percentage has varies greatly over the years. I've maxed out my 401K(s) since I was 22. Currently, that means I'm putting away over 17% of my earnings. I earned more 10-15 years ago than I do today and I believe the percentage was closer to 10% (401K contribution limits were lower and my earnings were higher.) I also need to mention my wife also contributes to a 401K, although she is not maxing her 401K contribution and she earns about half what I earn. Admittedly, the higher percentage and her contributions are a big part of the equation.

I've been tracking the 401Ks values since I have been 34 and here is what I have:

35 2004 34.54 34.54

36 2005 19.34 26.94

37 2006 31.90 28.60

38 2007 9.79 23.89

39 2008 -29.25 13.26

40 2009 55.41 20.29

41 2010 31.73 21.92

42 2011 5.26 19.84

43 2012 25.75 20.50

44 2013 43.80 22.83

So, every December 31st, I calculate the total for all the 401Ks that my wife and I own. The total value will include contributions (personal and company match) and gains for the entire year. I then calculate the change in value from the prior year. The average over the past 10 years has been 22.83%. Understand, early on, our contributions made up a large portion of this percentage, but as time has gone on (and the power of compound interest), our contributions make up less and less of the percentage.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'm an IT person. My best paying job was when I was a Unix Sys. Admin. for Sun Microsystems and today I'm a developer for eBay. I've worked at 2 organization that went bankrupt, Sun Microsystems and DevelopOnline, but luckily, I never was unemployed for more than days. For a while, I worked in the airline industry, which paid very poorly, so I augmented my income by teaching Java and Linux at the nearby community college. I've never worked at a job longer than 5 years. So, yes, I feel very much like I am middle class.

I think that rjrjr is just one of those people who believes that a $150k+ income household is "middle class". :baiting: God bless him lol.

-J.

In Southern California it is.Why is it I make around 80K net,and my wife makes about the same as a Para-Legal for her Moms law firm.Yet it still seems we live paycheck to paycheck? :sorry:

I live in LA and unless a person is trying to keep up with jones', or you have numerous children or want to live in some over priced zip code on the west side you guys sound like you are doing just fine, and certainly well beyond the middle class lifestyle and deep in the "affluent" territory. (thumbs u

-J.

+1

35 2004 34.54 34.54

36 2005 19.34 26.94

37 2006 31.90 28.60

38 2007 9.79 23.89

39 2008 -29.25 13.26

40 2009 55.41 20.29

41 2010 31.73 21.92

42 2011 5.26 19.84

43 2012 25.75 20.50

44 2013 43.80 22.83

-J.

160K is NOT middle income. And if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are doing something wrong. You are in the top 5% of all wage earners in this country.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

Maybe buying too many comic books? :grin:

Yeah paying for daughters apartment,food...yadayada.Foster parenting her two boys,house payment,bills,my classic car,gas(big one)wife goes through 800 a month in gas,then comics! whew,I got a tad dizzy for a moment. :ohnoez:

+1

35 2004 34.54 34.54

36 2005 19.34 26.94

37 2006 31.90 28.60

38 2007 9.79 23.89

39 2008 -29.25 13.26

40 2009 55.41 20.29

41 2010 31.73 21.92

42 2011 5.26 19.84

43 2012 25.75 20.50

44 2013 43.80 22.83

-J.

I live in LA and unless a person is trying to keep up with jones', or you have numerous children or want to live in some over priced zip code on the west side you guys sound like you are doing just fine, and certainly well beyond the middle class lifestyle and deep in the "affluent" territory. (thumbs u

-J.

I do live in Anaheim Hills,but it's so nice and peaceful with very little crime.

It is a waste of time to "invest" in comic books.

For as many winners as there have been, there are many, many losers.

I have tens of thousands of comics books that I bought brand new, and, with few exceptions (New Mutants #98) have all turned out to be huge duds. The only thing...and I mean the ONLY thing...that saved me is that I have always been extremely particular about condition, so just about everything I ever bought off the stands is 9.8 or better.

Buy what you love, and if it goes up, consider it a bonus.

From an investment point of view, buying brand new books off the newsstand and expecting to make money off them is equivalent to buying penny stocks and expecting to make a fortune on them. :tonofbricks:

Both of these so-called "investment assets" with few exceptions, will turn out to be huge duds, although you should at least be able to get reading pleasure and enjoyment from your comics. If you are planning to get an investment return from your comics, you really should be putting your money into investment quality books. hm

However, I am in 100% agreement with your last sentence! (thumbs u

Please don't forget the Four Color #9 that was the focus of my argument, which was edited out.

And for discussion's sake, I stopped buying new books as investments in 1993.

Since then, I've been doing...other...things.

hm

Hey Rocky;

It looks like you've been busy and up all night defending your side of the argument. lol

Did not mean to ignore your issue with respect to the Four Color 9 as I just thought it was a silly example to be presenting. Especially since you took a negative spin on everything to an extreme.

If you feel my example was silly, and that I "took a negative spin on everything to an extreme", there's no point in discussing it much further. I didn't dismiss anyone's argument as "silly"...uninformed, definitely, but not silly.

The example, far from being silly, is an excellent one. At one time, it was in the top 15 comic books in terms of value. You cannot argue with this, as it is simply data. If someone had come along and said "you can't lose! It's top 15! It's one of the most iconic books there is!", and you bought into that, you would have lost money on that investment, against inflation.

I'm happy for you that you were able to find high grade, unmolested examples of the books you bought, but the *average* experience has been precisely as I described, which is why CGC exists in the first place. So yes, the *average* buyer of Four Color #9 in 1980 would have gotten an *average* of a F/VF copy, and $3500 is right about where that book sits. The *average* buyer of this book (and, indeed, the vast majority of "mint" GA books by 1980) did NOT get what-would-eventually-become-a-CGC-9.6-quality item.

If everyone was getting accurately graded books, there would have been no need for a 3rd party to grade them. This is unassailable. There is hardly any "snap" assumption made about that. Have you not read the history of the Church collection...? There's a reason these books made such a huge splash on the comics market: they actually WERE those "Mint" copies that everyone wanted so much.

Take care!

My only point is, you have done it one way and others have also done it through comics. To each his own, but anyone who says comics can't be an investment are being very short sighted and just plain biased for some reason. Because it is not reality.

-J.

I'm not sure who you're referring to, because no one has said this.

There is a difference between a bad investment, and "can't be an investment."

My only point is, you have done it one way and others have also done it through comics. To each his own, but anyone who says comics can't be an investment are being very short sighted and just plain biased for some reason. Because it is not reality.

-J.

Either way, there have been plenty of posters that have come on here with real life experience that have directly refuted your claims...

-J.

So Four Color 9 tanked. That's nothing. There is only one company in the DJIA that was there prior to the Depression. The name of the company? General Electric. You should Wikipedia the Dutch Tulip Bubble. These books could have a ways to go before they reach their peak.

This needs to be mentioned: Those who are DEALERS, those who make all, or most, of their income from buying and selling comics on a regular basis are not INVESTORS, though they may certainly think they are, and behave like they are.

Those who buy and sell securities are ALSO not "investors"...we call them brokers.

This conversation, and the attendant "we have made $X Millions!!", has nothing whatsoever to do with dealers who spend the majority of their lives in and around comics as a matter of business.

Just like a contractor isn't an "investor" in building homes. He is a contractor; it is his job to know the ins and outs of the home building business.

When you're discussing DEALERS, it's a whole different ball o' wax.

This has turned into one of the worst threads I have ever read. Much too much disclosure on personal financials for my liking. Later.................

mods notified :baiting:

-J.

Either way, there have been plenty of posters that have come on here with real life experience that have directly refuted your claims...

-J.

Who...?

Who here has posted that they have successfully "invested" in comics, that aren't dealers?

And these are not "claims"...you may paint me as the bad guy, the pessimist, the downer all you wish...I'm a big boy, and my ego is perfectly capable of taking it...but what I am telling you is WISE. If you think you can make money investing in comic books, by all means, do it! But for all the myriad reasons that have already been mentioned, plus several that haven't, it is a BAD IDEA. And I tell you this because I don't want you, or others, to think that "past results guarantees future returns."

They don't.

No one's stopping you. Just don't complain if, in 40 years, you have nothing to show for all of your "investing."

What you should do is precisely what rjrjr has done: put in a portion of your income into securities, find a company that will match it, and then forget about it. That's the very best investment advice anyone can ever give you.

-J.

-J.

Who...?

Who here has posted that they have successfully "invested" in comics, that aren't dealers?

:hi:

-J.

I will take this one step further. The fact that so many on here are slamming books as investments pretty much CONFIRMS with CERTAINTY that prices have a ways to go. When everyone on this thread turns bullish on comics, dump your collection and move back into baseball cards.

So Four Color 9 tanked. That's nothing. There is only one company in the DJIA that was there prior to the Depression. The name of the company? General Electric. You should Wikipedia the Dutch Tulip Bubble. These books could have a ways to go before they reach their peak.

lol

:popcorn:

-J.

-J.

Who...?

-J.

And....?

-J.

-J.

Who...?

-J.

I'd like to think I've done pretty good,but I really wasn't in it for the "investment" aspect.I certainly think I have made wise decisions that would allow me to make my money(and then some) back if I needed to cash out.