• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

My opinion..

NEVER abandon your legacy numbering.

To do so, is to turn youir back on the "collector" portion of your fan-base. ( often the smallest, yet most vocal) The reason comic books are thriving in this age of digital media is that they are tactile treasures that people want to possess.

Readership can be built & expanded with tpb's & collections.

If you've already gone to press, just pick up numbering on the next issue.

The mini series has "killed" SO many quality products over the years.

Hellboy is the exception to the rule.

Try a trade dress like this moving forward:

O6I6Qoc.png

This is the right thing to do for both audiences - the collector and the new reader. WTG Larry concise and straightforward.

(thumbs u

- I was presented with pretty compelling sales data that suggests we've got a very real challenge on our hands to grow readership starting the second arc at #7 as opposed to #1. Even with the show announcement and trade sales being decent we need to grow.

- Diamond also offered some good promotional support/outreach to retailers on behalf of Enormous if we were to go with the #1.

Let's look at these comments:

It's true, you DO have a very real challenge to grow readership at issue 7 vs issue 1. BUT, frankly, aside from the '1' on the cover, nothing is different. By starting again at 1, you're hoping for a sales spike due to the numbering only. You may not get that spike. Collectors aren't dumb - they aren't going to buy a '1' that really isn't a '1'. You want to grow readership, you do it like Kirkman did - by plowing forward with consistency and quality.

You want compelling sales data, ask for the numbers on 'Luthor Strode' or 'Jake Ellis'.

Also, that was very kind of Diamond to offer that support. Did they offer similar support for Vol 3 #1? How about Vol 4? 5? ... I'm not sure Diamond is offering impartial advice here. I think they'd prefer to try to milk a number 1 sales boost.

I think we've all made our arguments - some of us, like myself, multiple times - and now I think it's time to stop piling on.

I don't want Tim to read this thread and feel like we're coming after him with torches and pitchforks. I respect him, and I know that the success of this book is far more important to him than it is to any of us - he has to make what he feels is the best decision for the book.

As readers and collectors it is now our job to simply support the book... or not. I'm working on trying to figure out my own mind on this as I typically do not support the 'series of mini-series' approach, however, I really respect the open approach Tim has had with us, the fans, and I find myself wanting to support him as much as I want to support the book.

Anyway... lets move beyond this piling on, if he's made a decision, he's made a decision - lets not make this a corrosive environment for him.

I think we've all made our arguments - some of us, like myself, multiple times - and now I think it's time to stop piling on.

I don't want Tim to read this thread and feel like we're coming after him with torches and pitchforks. I respect him, and I know that the success of this book is far more important to him than it is to any of us - he has to make what he feels is the best decision for the book.

As readers and collectors it is now our job to simply support the book... or not. I'm working on trying to figure out my own mind on this as I typically do not support the 'series of mini-series' approach, however, I really respect the open approach Tim has had with us, the fans, and I find myself wanting to support him as much as I want to support the book.

Anyway... lets move beyond this piling on, if he's made a decision, he's made a decision - lets not make this a corrosive environment for him.

+1

(thumbs u We gave our opinions but there decided to go other direction.

Going on and on is not going to help. Tim made a decision he thinks is for

the best for the future of his book. Either we live with it or nor that's up to

Each individual.

Did everyone forget a show is in the works? Regardless of what the numbering system is, the earlier issues are set to explode. Also, keep in mind if the show is picked up for seasons each volume will skyrocket with each season on the air.

Yep. I am still buying and collecting them, as I see them at decent prices.

I'm a fan of the stories, a BIG fan of the art, and a collector of a really cool set of books so far.

I'm definitely staying in.

:cool:

Did everyone forget a show is in the works? Regardless of what the numbering system is, the earlier issues are set to explode. Also, keep in mind if the show is picked up for seasons each volume will skyrocket with each season on the air.

Please enlighten me on the benefits of re-numbering then...

It. Makes. NO. sense.

It's an easy fix.

Legacy numbering for collector base.

Season headers to build reader base.

IMO, it should be the quality of the book that lures new readers. That should be enough. If the book is quality, word will spread and the fan base will grow. If the book is not quality, then gimmicks with the issue number won't save it.

I guess the hope is that a new #1 on the cover will speed up the process of growing the readership. I think it's more likely that any spike as a result of a new #1 will be artificial and temporary, and at the risk of potentially alienating the fans that have already supported the book thus far.

IMO, it should be the quality of the book that lures new readers. That should be enough. If the book is quality, word will spread and the fan base will grow. If the book is not quality, then gimmicks won't save it.

I've seen quality books get ignored and die as well - but add the quality + the (maybe) television show...

It. Makes. NO. sense.

It's an easy fix.

Just trying to see a bright side Larry. That's all, I'm no expert. Just sharing my opinion.

I want what is best for the series and creators. I'm definitely not the one who knows exactly what that is. I've never paid attention to any re-numbering print run data. If you have some and it's not to late, may be helpful for the team to know.

IMO, it should be the quality of the book that lures new readers. That should be enough. If the book is quality, word will spread and the fan base will grow. If the book is not quality, then gimmicks with the issue number won't save it.

I guess the hope is that a new #1 on the cover will speed up the process of growing the readership. I think it's more likely that any spike as a result of a new #1 will be artificial and temporary, and at the risk of potentially alienating the fans that have already supported the book thus far.

Look at the decades of Dark Horse properties, Although of high quality have fallen by the waysides.

Never ignore the buyer of paper in this industry.

Ever..

- I was presented with pretty compelling sales data that suggests we've got a very real challenge on our hands to grow readership starting the second arc at #7 as opposed to #1. Even with the show announcement and trade sales being decent we need to grow.

- Diamond also offered some good promotional support/outreach to retailers on behalf of Enormous if we were to go with the #1.

Let's look at these comments:

It's true, you DO have a very real challenge to grow readership at issue 7 vs issue 1. BUT, frankly, aside from the '1' on the cover, nothing is different. By starting again at 1, you're hoping for a sales spike due to the numbering only. You may not get that spike. Collectors aren't dumb - they aren't going to buy a '1' that really isn't a '1'. You want to grow readership, you do it like Kirkman did - by plowing forward with consistency and quality.

You want compelling sales data, ask for the numbers on 'Luthor Strode' or 'Jake Ellis'.

Also, that was very kind of Diamond to offer that support. Did they offer similar support for Vol 3 #1? How about Vol 4? 5? ... I'm not sure Diamond is offering impartial advice here. I think they'd prefer to try to milk a number 1 sales boost.

+1

Look at the decades of Dark Horse properties, Although of high quality have fallen by the waysides.

Ever..

And another +1

All good points, which unfortunately were made prior to this decision, and were ignored.

It. Makes. NO. sense.

It's an easy fix.

Larry is on fire!

Ever..

And another +1

All good points, which unfortunately were made prior to this decision, and were ignored.

Tim is a very approachable guy.

I initially suggested that he sign up here & interact with his collector base.

Tim will consider his options....

which is what I said like 4 pages ago... These books are labeled as seasons... Not volumes... I'm sticking to my guns...

YUP Tim, please do not take this as an attack, remember we love the book. And we all wish only the best for you and Enormous . Thanks for involving us and informing us on what's happening.

Edited by Astoria