• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

You all have really brightened my day. I'm dead serious.

Oh and Season 2 #1 is 30 pages with a really nice built-in recap that will inform new readers and give current readers a fresh perspective on past events. I'll try and take this approach with each new #1.

I hope it works out for you, I really do. I love how involved you are with us in this thread, and I greatly admire what you've accomplished with this book by working on it as a side project while still maintaining your day job - that really speaks well of your passion for the medium.

Having said that, I would dearly love to see the data that swayed you - I've been reading comics for over 30 years, and collecting them off on and for 25, and my own experience tells me that repeat readers want to see consistency more than anything else.

Nothing says consistency like issue #32 - I said this in my original post on this topic, but I think it is worth repeating. A mini-series is inherently ephemeral, and readers are aware of this even if they may not be actively aware of it.

Granted, this could just be confirmation bias speaking, however, it is how I feel - it may well be the wrong move from a long term perspective.

Having said that... I think you have a hell of a product on your hands, so you may still come out on top no matter which way you decided to go.

- On the other, I was presented with pretty compelling sales data that suggests we've got a very real challenge on our hands to grow readership starting the second arc at #7 as opposed to #1. Even with the show announcement and trade sales being decent we need to grow.

- Diamond also offered some good promotional support/outreach to retailers on behalf of Enormous if we were to go with the #1.

Hopefully these two bullets make a difference; we all want you to succeed and grow readership.

Yes, we all want readership to grow, agreed.

I believe the 215 release date of #1 was 7/2/14 (yes I know that is after the one-shot), but this date marks the commencement of the new on-going series. #7 (or V2#1)is due 6/24/15. Using this time frame as a reference, 10 "seasons" will take about 9 years to cover. Lets say it takes half that time for argument's sake....

Has there been a series of volumes (I'm avoiding the term mini-series as I don't think it applies here) to have this kind of longevity? Especially given the fickle taste of modern readers?

Grendel stuff? (another example of a Dark Horse Mini-series giddyup). I'm really asking as I don;t typically read"volumes" or "mini-series".

How many of us would hang on that long? Maybe lots IF the show takes off....maybe lots IF content remains amazing....

I've been reading since #1 was on the newsstand (and naturally I had to buy it from e-bay because nowhere had it near me), and although I've been on board from the beginning, even as a loyal reader I'll feel alienated by the new numbering system. It feels like pretense for the sake of pretense really. That being said, I still love the series, and I still wish all the creators all the best, hopefully this turns into the payday they deserve.

I also dislike renumbering and typically don't bother with minis. I just wait for the trades if it's something I might be interested in.

However, I've been with Enormous from the start and will continue to support this book no matter the decision. I enjoy it that much. **BUT** If I'm not on these boards reading this discussion then I'm probably done as a monthly reader and reverting back to my trades. I'm sure there's many others that do the same so I'm really hoping this will be the right decision.

I'd also like to thank you for interacting with us. It's easy to root for creators who are right here. Best of luck going forward!

You've all seen the solicits. Shall I explain a bit then? I've been doing a lot of hand-wringing over the numeration of the series and I've gone back and forth and back again on how to proceed with the series.

Enormous is not a mini-series, it is an ongoing, slated for approximately 10 volumes and 60 issues. In order to reach that goal we must survive and make decisions which, while unpalatable to most everyone here, are a genuine attempt to grow readership. There’s no other motivation – period. Every 6 issues will comprise a Season (arc). The story is continuous throughout and expect time jumps (varied in duration) between each Season. Expect a Field Guide (w/ expanded Colossal) and a Trade paperback wrapping each Season.

Now, some of you suggested that I should not have asked for opinion and input. Of course I should. I’ve shared this thread with all involved with the book (and adaptation) many times already because you’ve all been incredibly, inarguably, vital to the success of this book. Frankly, I agree with you – all, but there’s me the reader/collector with my personal preferences, versus the needs of the book and I’d fire myself if it meant the book could flourish beyond what I’m capable of providing. Ask Mehdi if that statement ain’t true. He’s heard it. Who knows – maybe I’ve made a decision that will get me fired….by me.

- On the one hand, as a reader/collector of comics since 1981, I'm completely in favor of legacy numbering. It's simple, clean and easy to track on a monthly basis. I love it and particularly love milestones.

- On the other, I was presented with pretty compelling sales data that suggests we've got a very real challenge on our hands to grow readership starting the second arc at #7 as opposed to #1. Even with the show announcement and trade sales being decent we need to grow.

- Diamond also offered some good promotional support/outreach to retailers on behalf of Enormous if we were to go with the #1.

I've changed my mind 3 times to date on this and the one thing I keep reminding myself is - the number on the book might change but the story and our commitment to it does not.

Season 2 (Episodes #7-12) is incredibly action packed, full of new characters and staggering Cheggour art. Not to mention some incredible variants and exclusives.

Stick with us and please, always share your thoughts.

tumblr_nliv7pAD9g1tuk6gvo1_1280.jpg

Yeah....It is all about selling more books and #1s sell. Problem is that after doing the same thing 3-4 times, it loses its luster. You will see. Sounds like a great idea now, but it is not.

Look at the constant Hellboy mini-series that come out. They sell 4 copies an issue at my LCS

I personally will be keeping my order for #1 the same as the rest of the issues I bought and cutting it in half or less for the rest of volume #2. You will win on volume #1 for sure. The rest? Good luck Tim.

My guess is the print runs up to this point have been perpetuated by boardie speculation because of the art and concept. That and the promise of a 60 issue "Y the last man" type journey. 60 issues builds a following, but not in the form of 6 issue minis. I am a collector at heart, and you just ripped it out

And yet I disagree.

Hell boy has a huge following. Sure 4 at your LCS but it sells a lot of books across all retailers.i think it's actually really funny people are upset about numbering. As a collector Continous is great cause your #1 becomes high priced great for flippers. minis fresh #1s stiffly the value in secondary but is better for readers and readership regardless of what anyone says IMO

And yet I disagree.

Hell boy has a huge following. Sure 4 at your LCS but it sells a lot of books across all retailers.i think it's actually really funny people are upset about numbering. As a collector Continous is great cause your #1 becomes high priced great for flippers. minis fresh #1s stiffly the value in secondary but is better for readers and readership regardless of what anyone says IMO

What language is this..? (shrug)

And yet I disagree.

What language is this..? (shrug)

:D that was funny! Thanks!

Hellboy is a pretty terrible example, it is one of the exceptions. I think they sell upwards of 20k each month. I guarantee you Tim would be fine with that.

Hellboy is not the norm.

I agree that it is. I actually like Hellboy and have all the many first appearances. And if it sells 20k an issue, I am sure Tim would see it as a success. 4 copies an issue at my LCS is laugh-worthy though.

It has probably already been mentioned here, but why not do the old double numbering technique that marvel did with Amazing Spider-man's volume 2??

You get the best possible outcome. Attract new readers and keep the collectors happy?? It is a win/win

My opinion..

NEVER abandon your legacy numbering.

To do so, is to turn youir back on the "collector" portion of your fan-base. ( often the smallest, yet most vocal) The reason comic books are thriving in this age of digital media is that they are tactile treasures that people want to possess.

Readership can be built & expanded with tpb's & collections.

If you've already gone to press, just pick up numbering on the next issue.

The mini series has "killed" SO many quality products over the years.

Hellboy is the exception to the rule.

Try a trade dress like this moving forward:

O6I6Qoc.png

Edited by LarrysComics

i will be keeping my pull at 10 of the A &B for the # 7 (vol 2 whatever's) but going forward its one reader only. Sorry Tim , going forward

I can't support this decision as a collector , only as a fan of the book.

lol

I really don't think we are going to change anyone's minds here.

We were already quite vocal with our opinions, and they went unheeded.

I guess all we can do is sit back, and see what happens.

I am willing to wager issue #6 of Season 2 will have a drastically different print run than #1.

i will be keeping my pull at 10 of the A &B for the # 7 (vol 2 whatever's) but going forward its one reader only. Sorry Tim , going forward

I can't support this decision as a collector , only as a fan of the book.

Exactly what I said minus the bonehead Hellboy comparison.

Keep us updated on the print runs Tim. I am curious to see if you made a good decision based on data or the consensus here would have been a better choice

Edited by JOEY GUNZ

Your comic collector base will more than make up for a lack in new readership. Look up hoarder in the dictionary and you will see most of our names next to it. lol.

And if it helps. Pretty pleaseeeeeeee keep the original numbering. Yes I am not to proud to beg.

I'd be willing to wager 1/4-1/3 of the entire print run is in personal collections on these boards. Hell, I know for a fact half the NYCC #1s are lol

That certainly would have been some relevant "data" to use when making the decision.