• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan Expo Canada August

345 posts in this topic

So yes, they should put cancelled and not leave it open to speculation. Whether they appear at future shows means nothing to anyone attending this event.

Yes, as you know they don't do that despite people making that very same point to them when they do it, and they've been using the term postponed for years now. It's not quite as harsh and final as cancelled I suppose.

So being aware of that, when you see postponed, it means the guest has had to cancel this show in FanExpoSpeak.

It's odd that they used Cancelled for the celebs, but Postponed for comic guests.

Yes, that is odd, but I was thinking about this show over the weekend and looked through the comics guest list and I thought the comics talent was light for 20th anniversary show that boasts 100K+ attendance.

Then I heard about the comics guest cancellations (sorry 'postponements') through a friend and now the talent pool seems...wanting.

I guess all the money was poured into the Walking Dead cast & the two Enterprise captains.

I don't know why but I get a bad feeling about this. I agree that for an anniversary show its weak compared to past years that had great guests. i'll still be there Thursday and hope it still is great.

Im starting to wonder if they are moving away from comics like sdcc seems to be. its more a pop culture event now

It's not for lack of trying, the comics guest coordinator has been working hard to get talent in for the show. With so many shows across the world every weekend, and with most of the in-demand comic pros still actively working it is getting tougher and tougher to get them away from the drawing board.

That being said, there are still a lot of talented folks coming to Expo. Five losses out of 60 working comic pros isn't terrible.

As for the recent handful of cancellations:

-- Ivan and Joe have been here before. Multiversity is big, but because of Morrison, if they come back in 2015 they will probably be here for a bigger project

- Steve is announced almost every year and has cancelled before --- he's got a high profile comic coming out the week after Expo on a truncated schedule so he can't afford to miss his deadlines.... I'm shocked he said yes to begin with. I'm hoping Tiz can convince him to come in December or March as a headliner as the fans will have stacks of Death of Wolverine comics for him to sign.

- Dale LIVES here and comes to every show... if the man wants a holiday he's earned it. I'm sure he'll be at the December show if there is one, and March, and next years FEC

- Roux is very talented but not doing much interiors these days, but his sketches and commissions, while awesome, aren't cheap either. One less expensive sketch artist in a row of expensive sketch artists isn't a huge loss for the casual fan. I'm sure they can find another artist to buy prints from.

Glad to hear that Neal Adams is coming.

Fingers crossed we get a surprise or two.

Dale was a no-show in March as well I believe.

With so many shows popping up this could be the beginning of the end of the "super show". Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

His lowest sketch cost for a comic character. I believe it was around $150 but I can't recall now.

The $150 sounds about right. I know full sketches are around $600.

Dale was a no-show in March as well I believe.

With so many shows popping up this could be the beginning of the end of the "super show". Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Dale has been at every spring and summer Informa/Hobbystar comic show since about 2005 and sporadically before that. Missing one (or two) is not the end of the world. He's working a lot more for Marvel than he has been in the past (since his Hulk run).

It's not for lack of trying, the comics guest coordinator has been working hard to get talent in for the show. With so many shows across the world every weekend, and with most of the in-demand comic pros still actively working it is getting tougher and tougher to get them away from the drawing board.

That being said, there are still a lot of talented folks coming to Expo. Five losses out of 60 working comic pros isn't terrible.

As for the recent handful of cancellations:

-- Ivan and Joe have been here before. Multiversity is big, but because of Morrison, if they come back in 2015 they will probably be here for a bigger project

- Steve is announced almost every year and has cancelled before --- he's got a high profile comic coming out the week after Expo on a truncated schedule so he can't afford to miss his deadlines.... I'm shocked he said yes to begin with. I'm hoping Tiz can convince him to come in December or March as a headliner as the fans will have stacks of Death of Wolverine comics for him to sign.

- Dale LIVES here and comes to every show... if the man wants a holiday he's earned it. I'm sure he'll be at the December show if there is one, and March, and next years FEC

- Roux is very talented but not doing much interiors these days, but his sketches and commissions, while awesome, aren't cheap either. One less expensive sketch artist in a row of expensive sketch artists isn't a huge loss for the casual fan. I'm sure they can find another artist to buy prints from.

Glad to hear that Neal Adams is coming.

Fingers crossed we get a surprise or two.

please don't take my comment as a slam, im sure they do work their butts off and im very appreciative. I just ment that the sheer size of the show now, its celeb drivin