• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Preview 4 and 7 -- EBAY SHILLING ON STEROIDS

247 posts in this topic

I am trying to see what has more potential... this thread or a Marvel cosmic franchise, since I just saw Guardians.

I think we have to rely on Tommyjasmine for a revival.

Well...

1. I do owe Harvey an answer, eBay seller cclonborisnbela:

cclonborsnbela

2. I found the login for my original account (sorry for the added confusion)

3. So the movie stunk? My daughter has been bugging me about going for months, so I have no choice but to find out for myself soon.

I am trying to see what has more potential... this thread or a Marvel cosmic franchise, since I just saw Guardians.

I think we have to rely on Tommyjasmine for a revival.

Well...

1. I do owe Harvey an answer, eBay seller cclonborisnbela:

cclonborsnbela

2. I found the login for my original account (sorry for the added confusion)

3. So the movie stunk? My daughter has been bugging me about going for months, so I have no choice but to find out for myself soon.

It was a lot of fun to see. It was no Shawshank Redemption, mind you. However it was well worth the $13 it cost for the ticket and my $6 Icee.

The Shilling Continues...

Marvel Preview 4:

This auction has already been shown to have been shilled:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-4-CGC-9-4-1st-Starlord-plus-BONUS-issue-/231289400598?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d9ec2d16

....two days later someone decided to pay double for the same book in the same grade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-4-MARVEL-1976-NEAR-MINT-CGC-9-4-NM-1st-App-ORIGIN-Star-Lord-/351133601031?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51c1318d07

Was that a real "buy it now", when only a couple days later an auction could barely get to half that amount, even with a shill bidder? Who knows.

Then there is this copy for a 9.6 what "sold" on a "buy it now" on the 29th...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-Marvel-Preview-4-First-appearance-of-Starlord-White-pages-/251588949073?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a93deb451

....only to relist a day later after GPA reported it, and "sell" again....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-6-Marvel-Preview-4-First-appearance-of-Starlord-White-pages-/251605614488?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a94dcff98

Did it really sell this time to a buyer who saw GPA and thought they were getting a "deal" on this copy? Again, who knows.

Either way, it's bad news for this ongoing, obviously shilled auction....

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261544496344&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

...where the fake, shill bidder has already gotten the price of the book from about $1,000, to nearly $2,000.

This is just ridiculous. I have never such "hot" and "rare" books with so many canceled sales and re-lists in such a compressed amount of time before. I have never seen such a high percentage of shilled auctions, and such a wide disparity in price realized between shilled and non shilled auctions, both raw and slabbed. What's going on here? Is this how ALL trendy movie books get "hyped" now? This just seems so incredibly unethical to me. If a book really is "hot", why does this need to be done? Can this really be just a blatant attempt at a cash grab by greedy sellers? And if not, why would a random third party shill a stranger's auction?

I'm wondering what all of this will look like in six months when the movie is in the rear view mirror and everyone has moved on from star lord and rocket raccoon, to the next "hot" book. I may have to see if there is a rinse and repeat on that one, or if these are simply isolated incidents of shilling run amok.

-J.

And if not, why would a random third party shill a stranger's auction?

They aren't random third parties. They are either shill accounts belonging to the seller, friends of the seller, or they also own a copy, or several copies, of the book being sold, which means they profit down the road because the perceived market value on the book in question has increased.

It happens all the time, especially when the eBay supply of the book is low compared to the demand. This is why it is best to avoid auctions on hot books with low feedback bidders. And if you are the seller of said book to cancel the bids of low feedback bidders, as they very much do discourage other legitimate bidders.

And if not, why would a random third party shill a stranger's auction?

They aren't random third parties. They are either shill accounts belonging to the seller, friends of the seller, or they also own a copy, or several copies, of the book being sold, which means they profit down the road because the perceived market value on the book in question has increased.

It happens all the time, especially when the eBay supply of the book is low compared to the demand. This is why it is best to avoid auctions on hot books with low feedback bidders. And if you are the seller of said book to cancel the bids of low feedback bidders, as they very much do discourage other legitimate bidders.

(thumbs u

This makes sense, a couple of those scenarios did not occur to me. I only asked the question because "tommyjasmine" implied it was advisors to overstreet who had shill bid his friend "Chris'" auction for an MP 7 that I referenced in my original post. That sounded ridiculous to me, but now it seems like anything might be possible. Ugh. doh!

-J.

I'm wondering what all of this will look like in six months when the movie is in the rear view mirror and everyone has moved on from star lord and rocket raccoon, to the next "hot" book. I may have to see if there is a rinse and repeat on that one, or if these are simply isolated incidents of shilling run amok.

-J.

Do you REALLY think these are just isolated incidents?

Let's face it, shillers have more lives than Jason Vorhees.

These clownshoes are going to come back until they can't sell their mess anywhere.

It's best to be proactive, point them out when visible and note suspicious activity. That'll certainly slow their roll. But as noted previously, they're worse than STDs on the rebound.

-J.

Do you REALLY think these are just isolated incidents?

Let's face it, shillers have more lives than Jason Vorhees.

These clownshoes are going to come back until they can't sell their mess anywhere.

It's best to be proactive, point them out when visible and note suspicious activity. That'll certainly slow their roll. But as noted previously, they're worse than STDs on the rebound.

:signfunny:

I think I may have to nominate that for the post of the day. lol

-J.

I know that I was high bidder on a low grade #7 at the tune of 150 bucks, and the buyer ended the auction at the last minute, and then re-listed it. It was an ugly copy with a bit of tape so I don't know how much he thinks he'll get for it. But I did get a nice copy of 4 from Al Stoltz(one of the good guys) at a reasonable BIN.

I know that I was high bidder on a low grade #7 at the tune of 150 bucks, and the buyer ended the auction at the last minute, and then re-listed it. It was an ugly copy with a bit of tape so I don't know how much he thinks he'll get for it. But I did get a nice copy of 4 from Al Stoltz(one of the good guys) at a reasonable BIN.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. There were a couple of other auctions that were being shilled for each book that were both canceled a couple of hours after my original post.

By the way, here's what happens when a shill "wins" an auction: Whoops!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261544496344&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

-J.

Seriously J? You can't infer from my post that Chris is the name of the guy who sold the 9.8 Marvel Preview 7, which you stated, incorrectly, is "obviously shilled"?

I'll try to break this down for you:

1. That was a legitimate sale, the seller is honest.

2. There appeared to be some sketchy shill-like bidding in the auction, but in this case all that did is drive up the price.

3. The buyer seems very happy with the purchase.

Playing the dumb card here is a lousy way to backtrack from admitting you falsely tagged an honest seller as a crook.

You threw out a pretty good post (look at all this action), and as darkstar said, you even got me to create an account! You just gotta be more careful - you stated something as fact and for that particular sale, you were 100% wrong.

"All" that did is drive up the price? Driving up the price is the point of shilling.

Our resident shilling clown, "mishmashman" is still at it with his fake, GPA spiking sales of Marvel Preview 7:

First, he "sells" this copy (yet again), under one ebay user ID name:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-CGC-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-only-24-copies-graded-higher-/281390402743?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item41842cccb7

Then, a couple of days later, under another one of his ebay user ID names he fakes another "sale":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-Summer-1976-Marvel-CGC-9-0-/191269367416?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item2c888aee78

....only to "relist" it once again the next day:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-Summer-1976-Marvel-CGC-9-0-/191275578605?

Several pages back after mishmashman tooted his own horn for "selling" this book two days later for more than double what he paid for it to another boardie, I stated point blank that those were fraud "sales" and that we would be seeing the book for sale again in no time.

Unfortunately, he did not disappoint.

You may want to note those two ebay user ID names of his for future reference.

-J.

In spite of the fact that there may be a "blurred", unreadable or obscured serial # on those auctions....does the GPA pick up those repeat sales of the same slab?

If that's the case and one particular seller keeps flipping the same comic again and again, it'd be rather easy to see.

If the seller had a couple of the same slabs in the same grade with different serial #'s that'd be a bit harder to pinpoint, but probably still observable with a bit more work.

So the GPA info for this year on that serial # is:

Jul-28-2014 $1,900 Cert# 1171640001

I don't see others but that doesn't mean it hasn't been missed by the GPA by deliberately not including the serial # in other auctions.