• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

lol

This is all being painted like a scene from Dr. Strangeglove, with CGC brass in a fit of monopolistic conspiratorial fury deciding the fate of Joey threads while sitting around a huge table in a darkened room.

I think it's probably more likely that CGC wasn't even involved, and the Moderation team removed the threads because they either got out of hand or broke some of the rather straightforward rules regarding discussions about competitive products.

In most instances, I would agree. Here, I would doubt it.

lol

This is all being painted like a scene from Dr. Strangeglove, with CGC brass in a fit of monopolistic conspiratorial fury deciding the fate of Joey threads while sitting around a huge table in a darkened room.

I think it's probably more likely that CGC wasn't even involved, and the Moderation team removed the threads because they either got out of hand or broke some of the rather straightforward rules regarding discussions about competitive products.

We must not allow a pressing gap!

Nothing is perceived really. It has always been a conflict of interests. CGC has allowed me to have a presence on these boards as a professional, not just as a board member. I was really in a very unique space since they purchased CI and started offering in-house pressing. I say unique because I submit a LOT of books under my account...a lot. Before that I was just another guy who pressed that directed the books to them. Now that "the other guys" exists I believe CGC feels that I will not endorse their product. If a customer asks me to squish books and send them to CGC that is what I am going to do. I don't get a kick back from any of the grading companies, I make my money by pressing books. If the owner asks me to press a book and then burn it, that's what I would do. Well, maybe not burn it, but you get the idea.

I just looked at your new website for the first time in a few weeks.

Don't you think that posting this on your website:

CFP Comics is now the official pressing service of CBCS Comics. Email me for the details.

Would be the reason they changed their position about your posts on this forum?

Kenny and I both mentioned that last night. :baiting:

You must have typed it in 'cajun clique code' cause I missed it. lol

I knew he was mentioned on the CBCS site as a referral but it's something entirely different for CFP to be the official pressing service for CBCS.

Now I understand why CGC removed all the Joeypost threads.

Nothing is perceived really. It has always been a conflict of interests. CGC has allowed me to have a presence on these boards as a professional, not just as a board member. I was really in a very unique space since they purchased CI and started offering in-house pressing. I say unique because I submit a LOT of books under my account...a lot. Before that I was just another guy who pressed that directed the books to them. Now that "the other guys" exists I believe CGC feels that I will not endorse their product. If a customer asks me to squish books and send them to CGC that is what I am going to do. I don't get a kick back from any of the grading companies, I make my money by pressing books. If the owner asks me to press a book and then burn it, that's what I would do. Well, maybe not burn it, but you get the idea.

CFP Comics is now the official pressing service of CBCS Comics. Email me for the details.

For some reason I don't remember that comment as much as some of your others. hm

More than likely that is the main reason.

I knew he was mentioned on the CBCS site as a referral but it's something entirely different for CFP to be the official pressing service for CBCS.

I can understand it too, but I don't understand why CGC didn't announce their reasons. Most would see the announcement and understand CGCs position even if they didn't agree with it. Not announcing it left room for speculation and gives the impression of "we do what we want and don't owe our customers an explanation for anything", which plays into the Strangelove stereotype. Messaging, messaging, messaging.

I can understand it too, but I don't understand why CGC didn't announce their reasons. Most would see the understand CGCs position even if they didn't agree with it. Not announcing it left room for speculation and gives the impression of "we do what we want and don't owe our customers an explanation for anything", which plays into the Strangelove stereotype. Messaging, messaging, messaging.

I agree with you. I've been trying to get CGC to be a little more proactive about it's PR and Moderation for some time now (much to the chagrin of some people I guess), but I suppose Harshen's sticky about competitors at the top of Comics General was felt to be enough.

And as Chris (comix4fun) said, they don't really owe anyone details - although they would be nice and appreciated.

Just because CFP is endorsed by the other guys shouldn't exclude joey post threads here on the Collector's Society boards. He clearly states that he offers many services such as CBCS and CGC submission options. After all they are supposed to be supporting the hobby. Now I think not!

More than likely that is the main reason.

It would be if he had openly posted that on the Boards. He did not. It's on his website. Again I can understand pulling posts referencing the competitor or it's services, but not an entire thread that was beneficial to the Boards.

I can understand it too, but I don't understand why CGC didn't announce their reasons. Most would see the announcement and understand CGCs position even if they didn't agree with it. Not announcing it left room for speculation and gives the impression of "we do what we want and don't owe our customers an explanation for anything", which plays into the Strangelove stereotype. Messaging, messaging, messaging.

Why would CGC need to make an announcement?

Not seeing the point in that.

As Ricky Waters said:

"For who for what"

RickyWattersTattoos3_zpsdae09e98.jpg

This is a free website to sign up not a free website to post what you want.

Joey knew it was coming eventually. Once he put their competitors seal on his website it was a wrap.

All that happens to Joey from this is he now has two places in FL to drop of pressed orders at.

This is not a big deal what so ever.

Just because CFP is endorsed by the other guys shouldn't exclude joey post threads here on the Collector's Society boards. He clearly states that he offers many services such as CBCS and CGC submission options. After all they are supposed to be supporting the hobby. Now I think not!

lol

For some reason I don't remember that comment as much as some of your others. hm

Some people have no appreciation for Adam Sandler's work.

lol

In most instances, I would agree. Here, I would doubt it.

I can understand why you might think that. But if there was some sort of CGC directive, I think this thread would have been immediately extinguished.

Instead, here we are openly discussing it again.

As Ricky Waters said:

"For who for what"

Joey knew it was coming eventually. Once he put their competitors seal on his website it was a wrap.

All that happens to Joey from this is he now has two places in FL to drop of pressed orders at.

This not a big deal what so ever.

One reason might be to reduce the number of posts that publicly paint CGC in a bad light and potentially drive customers elsewhere? Or to avoid looking like an overbearing censor that poofs anything they don't like, also leaving collectors with a bad taste. PR can do all kinds of good things for companies that aren't too monopolistic in their thinking to consider it.

Which makes the nonsense of removing posts discussing or alluding to it even more ridiculous.

But the threads did promote Joey's pressing service at the expense of CCS's.

It's no different than a lawyer pumping himself on another law firm's site.

From what I can gather from the exchange between Ze and Joey, Joey knew it was coming. I think he's more disappointed in the way it was carried out.

As he should be. One thing that has been forgotten is Joey is still a customer of CGC.

Joey is more than endorsed. Endorsed means they declared their approval/support. This would be like saying, hey if you need a pressing, we like the work Joeypost does. Joey is their Official pressing service. This is much stronger, he has some connection to the company. Similar to how Coca cola is the Official soft drink of the World Cup. What does that mean? Well it means you won't be seeing anyone selling Pepsi. Yea was it a *spoon* move on CGC's part to poof the thread, you bet. It should have been handled with more tact (or even lock the thread but keep it for posterity) but I can somewhat see where they are coming from (to a VERY small extent) And mind you, none of what I just said is a slight at Joey. I have the utmost respect for him and his work quality, he is very good at what he does.

O and as for this...

How long can modern "hot" books sustain CGC and keep it profitable? This is a dying medium despite what anybody thinks "Print is Dead"

The CPR business will be more valuable down the road and to create such ill will (amongst Joey's friends and supporters, myself included) in what has been a very loyal customer base is silly and juvenile.

I'm really tired of hearing this cliche. Print is NOT dead. I was discussing the numbers with someone from Marvel last night. Your jaw would hit the floor if you knew how low digital is. Digital is growing, sure, but not at the expense of floppies. Monthly print sales are still > 5:1. The area where digital is "hurting" print is TPB.

Which makes the nonsense of removing posts discussing or alluding to it even more ridiculous.

But the threads did promote Joey's pressing service at the expense of CCS's.

It's no different than a lawyer pumping himself on another law firm's site.

From what I can gather from the exchange between Ze and Joey, Joey knew it was coming. I think he's more disappointed in the way it was carried out.

As he should be. One thing that has been forgotten is Joey is still a customer of CGC.

But will he be after the way this whole thing has been handled (or not handled at all)?

hm

As Ricky Waters said:

"For who for what"

This not a big deal what so ever.

One reason might be to reduce the number of posts that publicly paint CGC in a bad light and potentially drive customers elsewhere? Or to avoid looking like an overbearing censor that poofs anything they don't like, also leaving collectors with a bad taste. PR can do all kinds of good things for companies that aren't too monopolistic in their thinking to consider it.

Most CGC boardies posts make their PR go down and they are still alive and kicking...... (shrug)

Only thing that matters is $. So far CBCA hasn't cost them a dime. A year from now we shall see.

I am good friends with Joey, and he is wise to know exactly why CGC pulled his pressing thread.

I would have as well.

"It is what is best for business"

CBCS would have pulled Matt Nelson's thread if it was vice versa.

The first thing I saw on CFP was two big ol' CGC Slabs. Front and center. Six of 'em if you rotate through.

But I'm kinda visual like that, so it was eye-catching.