• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

What about Fright Night?

Great Vampire movie, I guess we've moved on to the not underrated horror movies.

Fright Night 2 is good also. I would say that's underrated.

The remake also had Tom Holland working on it.

I just got a slasher movie book which is making me want to watch all these movies now. I saw Happy Birthday To Me for cheap at Wal-Mart but I ended up not really enjoying it. I have never seen Curtains (another 80's slasher) but it has just been released on Blu ray and I have been hearing so many great things about it, so I am going to pick that one up next.

Some underrated films that I like;

Hell Night

Blair Witch 2

Suspiria (well, some may say overrated)

Opera (aka Terror at the Opera)

Session 9 The Most Underrated Horror Movie of All-Time! THREAD OVER.

But...

Haunter is one of my recent favs. Think Groundhog Day meets Scream.

Crawl was great one.

Penumbra too.

2001 Maniacs (best horror ending for the hero and damsel of all-time)

Some other newer unknown creepy ones...

Altered

Mimesis

Hell

Home Sweet Home

The Girl Next Door

Playback

Malovence

Blood Trails

House of the Devil

From Within

Drive Thru (pre Gossip Girl)

The ABCs of Death

The Cottage

Hit & Run

Amber Alert

The Big Bad

Mischief Night (2014)

There is so much more too. I usually pick up a $10 new to DVD horror-release at Walmart every week to watch every Saturday night at 10 pm. It's my Svengoolie time. I actually have a few hundred horror films on DVD alone. If I don't fast forward one, no matter how cheesy, it usually means I like it. lol

Put me down for:

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

(worship)

You forgot, Night of the Creeps and Slumber Party Massacre

What about Fright Night?

Great Vampire movie, I guess we've moved on to the not underrated horror movies.

I don't think this is as well known as some of the other vampire movies. Most people don't even know there is a sequel to this.

1) The original Salem's Lot

2) The 1960's Vincent Price movie "the last man on earth" based on Matheson's "I am Legend" novel. I am a huge NOTLD and Romero fan, but the truth is this is the movie that started the Zombie Apocalypse Genre and modern day undead zombies even before NOTLD. (I know they were technically vampires but watch the move and see what mean)

1) The original Salem's Lot

2) The 1960's Vincent Price movie "the last man on earth" based on Matheson's "I am Legend" novel. I am a huge NOTLD and Romero fan, but the truth is this is the movie that started the Zombie Apocalypse Genre and modern day undead zombies even before NOTLD. (I know they were technically vampires but watch the move and see what mean)

And Heston's, "The Omega Man", was the remake before the I Am Legend movie. Also a great movie.

The fight scene is epic!

South Park do a homage to it.

The fight between Jimmy and Timmy is based on the fight between John Nada (Roddy Piper) and Frank Armitage (Keith David) in the 1988 film They Live.[1] When overdubbed with the audio from the film, the fight sounds and much of the dialogue match up almost perfectly with the animation.

I don't normally like the shakey POV movies but a Norwegian film I recently saw called 'Troll Hunter' was actually a lot of fun.

Troll hunter is good!

If you can handle shakey, you should watch Frankenstein's Army. Shakey camera movie. Lots of gore. Great monster effects though. Think Frankenstein/Re-Animator with metal.

hm I'll give it a shot. Blair Witch and Cloverfield made me feel ill, too shakey.

I didn't care for Cloverfield's shake camera either, but I thought the camera in Frankensteins Army was done better.

It's low budget and there's lots of downtime - not near constant shakey camera.

Frankensteins Army was amazing!!

This will be moved.

But I vote for The Car. So bad azz. I remember years back seeing The Car mini toy in Toys R Us. Could not grab it fast enough to buy it. Was like I found gold. lol. They also came out with the Phantasm cud a model....which I also bought.

I remember when it was on TV as a kid scared the hell out of me. I still remember that horn and its been 30+ years.